Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 64 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Nah, that's not how this works. Two months in when he's not hitting, he'll yell "Ow, my wrist!" and we'll have to put up with it for another season.
    Or they could just send him home for the season and forget about him like they did last year, haha

vCash
    Delusional Soriano quite talking about how he wants to win here. Poor guy doesn't even know that his last two years, BECAUSE of him and his salary, have nothing to do with winning:

Alfonso Soriano has been on the pages of MLBTR quite a bit over the last year, but if the outfielder has anything to say about it, he'll remain with the Cubs. *"I want to stay here and finish my career here and try to win before I retire," Soriano said, according to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. "I signed here to bring a World Series winner to Chicago. It's been a long time since they won a World Series. That's my dream. I hope to stay here, and when they win, I want to be part of that team." *

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicag...pio7kDP0MgD.99

It's almost childishly naive. The man is 36 at least.

vCash
    I don't think it's SO stupid to think that MAYBE, in 2014 they will have atleast a small chance. I mean, if you were in his situation, wouldn't you want to be one of the guys that was on that team that won it all after 100 years?

I think we should all know by now that Soriano's english sometimes isn't translated very well, and you might be misunderstanding his want to stay as him saying he will do it all himself.

vCash
    I hope Sori is part of the organization when it wins a World Series, even if he's retired as a player. The guy seems like a great mentor for the young players, particularly the ones adapting to the country, and I'd like to see him doing that for a long time.

Is that a job in big league organizations? Someone whose primary responsibility is helping young guys adapt to living in the US and having money for the first time in their lives? A coach, but not for anything that happens on the field? If it isn't, it should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I hope Sori is part of the organization when it wins a World Series, even if he's retired as a player. The guy seems like a great mentor for the young players, particularly the ones adapting to the country, and I'd like to see him doing that for a long time.

Is that a job in big league organizations? Someone whose primary responsibility is helping young guys adapt to living in the US and having money for the first time in their lives? A coach, but not for anything that happens on the field? If it isn't, it should be.
    He could be a special assistant to the GM which is a generic title for people with all sorts of responsiblities.

vCash
    Keep Baez and try and aquire some more talent with spare parts in order to obtain the one they call Giancarlo.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    His contract kinda makes it so he has to do it himself doesn't it? Unless Rizzo is an offensive star at 1B or Castro learns to walk it is hard to imagine any help coming in here.

Pretty sure the whole athlete life coach is a thing now for a lot of organizations and sports.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-21-2013 at 11:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    I don't think it's SO stupid to think that MAYBE, in 2014 they will have atleast a small chance. I mean, if you were in his situation, wouldn't you want to be one of the guys that was on that team that won it all after 100 years?

I think we should all know by now that Soriano's english sometimes isn't translated very well, and you might be misunderstanding his want to stay as him saying he will do it all himself.
    With the right trades this season and, after adding some more quality free agents, I think they could have an outside shot at the wild card in 2014. I think the Reds aren't going anywhere for a while and the Cardinals could be better in 2014 than they look going into 2013 (with Miller having a full season under his belt and Oscar Taveras ready to go). I think the Braves will face some more tough decisions for next season with McCann possibly leaving and Delgado and Teheran are still pretty big question marks. Who knows what will happen with the Giants and Dodgers since the Giants have some sort of black magic working for them and the Dodgers will just keep spending.

ESPN's Jason Martinez sees the Padres' window of contention starting around the same time as the Cubs (2015) so the Cubs could face some competition from them, too.

vCash
    Mets and Red Sox could/should be back into spending mode by 2015.

vCash
    Every bad team right now thinks their window starts around 2015. It's just an easy way of saying "We suck right now, but we hope we won't suck in the future."

At this point, might as well just wait to roster Villanueva until right before his first stat of the season.

vCash
    I wonder how much the fine is for taking this long? It's possible it's holding up a Hairston signing too. My guess is we get a Lendy Castillo or Campana DFA later today.

vCash
    I dunno, but I would like to see some movement in those 2 for 1 trades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Every bad team right now thinks their window starts around 2015. It's just an easy way of saying "We suck right now, but we hope we won't suck in the future."
    Yeah, and with each organization looking to revamp their image it is a nice way to buy time. It's nonsense.

vCash
    Sources said there’s mutual interest between the Cubs and Scott Hairston – who hit 20 homers in 377 at-bats with the New York Mets last season – and a strong opposition to signing free agent Michael Bourn because it would mean losing a second-round draft pick and sacrificing part of their signing-bonus pool.

The Mets have reportedly rejected Hairston’s demands – two years, $8 million – and there could be reasons to sign here. Hairston spent part of his childhood in the Chicago suburbs. His grandfather Sam and father Jerry Sr. played for the White Sox. His older brother Jerry Jr. graduated from Naperville North High School and played for the Cubs.

Hairston is said to be a good clubhouse guy. He was part of the San Diego Padres team that won 91 games in 2010, Jed Hoyer’s first year as general manager. Between Hairston, David DeJesus, Nate Schierholtz and Dave Sappelt – and Alfonso Soriano’s need for days off at the age of 37 – the Cubs could take a mix-and-match approach in the outfield.
    http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...653&feedID=661

vCash
    Hairston isn't awful I guess. 2 for $8M is a little steep for a 4th outfielder but if he's willing to come down to 1 yr at 2.5 I wouldn't mind him.

Page 64 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast