Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He probably has the trades he's working on in his vision for the team. Just IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Oh yeah, and we all know we're just oversaturated with pitching prospects, right?
    We aren't but our OF is a legit concern to me at least. There's middle of the rotation guys available every off season. If I was convinced Brett Jackson didn't suck I would be ok with him playing, but I'm not convinced he's an everyday guy. We have Soler who seems to be polished considering his age, but he's not a lock to reach it either. If you count 4th OF type's as prospects then I guess I am wrong, but I don't consider many of those guys worth talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    From MLBTR:

In another item from Sullivan, Epstein said that he expects the Cubs to contend in 2013 despite the fact that they're still ostensibly rebuilding. "Otherwise, there’s no reason to show up or build a team,” Epstein said. “It’s postseason or bust every year. That’s what our goal is."Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#PpSproJ9AcTMRAjL.99
    Theo is always obscure, politically correct when answering questions. Obviously the goal is to make the playoffs, and obviously he is going to ensure the fans that the Cubs will try to compete.

vCash
    Epstein says quotes were taken out of context (impossible!):

Quote:
    Theo Epstein, who was Red Sox general manager for nine seasons before departing to become president of baseball operations for the Chicago Cubs in the aftermath of Boston’s September 2011 collapse, on Wednesday addressed criticism of Red Sox ownership in a new book co-authored by former Sox manager Terry Francona.

In an excerpt from the book "Francona: The Red Sox Years" that appears in this week’s Sports Illustrated, co-authors Francona and Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy asserted that ownership was obsessed with declining TV ratings and followed the recommendations of market research consultants urging the team to add more stars and “sex symbols."

Epstein attended that meeting with consultants in November 2010, and was quoted in the book as being highly critical.

"They told us we didn't have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle," he is quoted in the excerpt as saying. "We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We'd become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be."

Epstein said that quote should not be construed as a criticism of the Sox owners, as many have done.

“My quote about how 'they told us... we needed sizzle' was in response to a question about the meeting to discuss the consultants' study on NESN ratings," Epstein said. “It was specifically about the consultants' meeting; it was not about ownership."

Epstein took exception to the assertion made in the book that after that meeting, he was responding "to the pressure from his bosses and the sagging ratings" when he traded for Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford, signing the pair for a combined total of 14 years and $296 million.

“There is no direct link between that meeting and the Red Sox moves that winter," he said Wednesday. “I take full responsibility for those moves. It was my job to handle the pressure of a big market and make good decisions."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    We aren't but our OF is a legit concern to me at least. There's middle of the rotation guys available every off season. If I was convinced Brett Jackson didn't suck I would be ok with him playing, but I'm not convinced he's an everyday guy. We have Soler who seems to be polished considering his age, but he's not a lock to reach it either. If you count 4th OF type's as prospects then I guess I am wrong, but I don't consider many of those guys worth talking about.

you should be more concerned about our Pitching depth.... because we have zero pitching depth.....

OFs with MLB potential jsut off the top of my head... soler, almora, jackson, szczur, martin, and not to mention other position players who could play OF if needed.... lake, vitters, and baez

OF IS NOT A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

and also you point was middle of the rotation guys are available every offseason... yes very true but at what cost??? Because MORPs in FA are expensive. I would be so bold to say MLB talented OFers are way cheaper than MORPs..... none of your logic is making sense to me
    Last edited by petrey10; 01-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Wouldn't our OF be our strongest area in the system??? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
    Yeah...if all goes well Soler could very well be ready by next season some time. Then Almora knocking on the door in 2015.

And that's assuming Jackson is going to be thrown into the garbage heap of once great prospects. I still have hope however.

vCash
    you should be more concerned about our Pitching depth.... because we have zero pitching depth.....
    There's currently seven SPs on the roster once Villanueva is official. There's 1.5 starting caliber OFers.

vCash
    I think one might be talking about ML depth and the other Minor League depth and the two aren't connecting the dots to the other's argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    I think one might be talking about ML depth and the other Minor League depth and the two aren't connecting the dots to the other's argument.
    The Major League depth is being downplayed, as is custom.

vCash
    I think DeJesus and Soriano are both MLB caliber starting OF. DeJesus might not be in the upper echelon, but I don't think he's a bench guy at all.

vCash
    Justin Bopp ‏@justinbopp
    Source confirms J.J. Hardy is being shopped by #Orioles; talks cooled after Showalter comments. Replacements an issue. Still on the table.

MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish
    Source: #Orioles trade talks involving J.J. Hardy were/are real and replacements have been considered. http://sbn.to/10h6mgj

Thought it was relevant to those Porcello talks last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Justin Bopp ‏@justinbopp
    Source confirms J.J. Hardy is being shopped by #Orioles; talks cooled after Showalter comments. Replacements an issue. Still on the table.

MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish
    Source: #Orioles trade talks involving J.J. Hardy were/are real and replacements have been considered. http://sbn.to/10h6mgj

Thought it was relevant to those Porcello talks last week.
    Nice. A Porcello deal couls still be in the works.

Anyone know if Villanueva has been added to the 40 man yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    I thought that too. Maybe the Castro thing would have been true a year ago, but not now. I'm not the biggest Castro believer as I've said (I think Rizzo is our future offensive giant), but an SS like Castro is harder to find than an RF like Upton. I think Towers just has a hard on for SS, maybe he realizes he got totally hosed in the Indians deal.

I think with Towers for some unknown reason hating Upton, Upton's down year, and the Seattle deal falling through, a lot of interested teams are sitting back and waiting to make a move, or see who makes a move. I would love Upton, but only if he was willing to sign a 3 year extension with us.

I bet if we threw Arizona something like Vitters, Baez, Shark, and Barney we could get him. I think that's comparable to what Seattle was offering value wise.
    I absolutely want no part of Upton for that package in return. To me that is way to much to give up for him. Though also have to admit that I really wouldn't mind seeing Upton go somewhere other than the Cubs. How much Arizona wants to get rid of him throws up tons of red flags to me. He has been on the trading block for a long while now. May be nothing more than their front office not liking him or it may be something they know that the rest of us don't. Either way I am going in low balling them from the start then working my way up. Not offering them full market value right off the bat.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Anyone know if Villanueva has been added to the 40 man yet?
    He has not.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I did see that quote. However, I wonder if he is speaking of the team as it is currently constructed or if he plans on making more moves to make them competetive. Because if he is speakin "as is" I worry about his evaluation skills. I see a 75 win team right now, tops.
    What do you expect him to say? Ya we are going to suck again next year and push for another 100 loss season. Of course he has to say he sees the current team as being competitive even if he doesn't personally believe that the team is at that point yet. That its going to take pretty much everything going right and a whole lot of luck to be a playoff team next year isn't something your going to get him to admit to.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast