Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The theory is that consensus/fan valuations of top prospects are frequently wildly incorrect. A "lesser" prospect being traded for a "top" prospect doesn't run against it.

vCash
    Rangers sign Harrison to 5-year, $55 million extension.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The theory is that consensus/fan valuations of top prospects are frequently wildly incorrect. A "lesser" prospect being traded for a "top" prospect doesn't run against it.
    Of course it doesn't. That would be an absurd line of thought.

vCash
    So Bauer was valued properly by everyone on the internet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    So Bauer was valued properly by everyone on the internet?
    To be fair I am just kind of being a jack ***.

However what's to say that the value placed on him isn't rightfully so? I guess the need to fill need at a premium spot can trump all in situations.

vCash
    CCO has a summary of Jim Bowden revisiting the Soriano to Philadelphia rumor:

Bowden said that if Darin Ruf has a bad Spring Training then Alfonso Soriano will be with the Phillies on Opening Day. The money owed to Soriano is a major issue and holding up the deal according to Bowden. If the Cubs are going to pay $20 million of the $36 million owed to Soriano then they want a good prospect in return but Ruben Amaro Jr. is trying to hold onto his prospects. Bowden thinks that Soriano will be traded by Opening Day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. That was nothing more than wishful thinking on the source's part. Arizona has very little leverage with the current situation they are in with Upton. Such a toxic relationship between the lot of them. They will never wind up getting fair value for Upton. The Mariner deal was the high point and it will only go down from there.
    I thought that too. Maybe the Castro thing would have been true a year ago, but not now. I'm not the biggest Castro believer as I've said (I think Rizzo is our future offensive giant), but an SS like Castro is harder to find than an RF like Upton. I think Towers just has a hard on for SS, maybe he realizes he got totally hosed in the Indians deal.

I think with Towers for some unknown reason hating Upton, Upton's down year, and the Seattle deal falling through, a lot of interested teams are sitting back and waiting to make a move, or see who makes a move. I would love Upton, but only if he was willing to sign a 3 year extension with us.

I bet if we threw Arizona something like Vitters, Baez, Shark, and Barney we could get him. I think that's comparable to what Seattle was offering value wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    I thought that too. Maybe the Castro thing would have been true a year ago, but not now. I'm not the biggest Castro believer as I've said (I think Rizzo is our future offensive giant), but an SS like Castro is harder to find than an RF like Upton. I think Towers just has a hard on for SS, maybe he realizes he got totally hosed in the Indians deal.

I think with Towers for some unknown reason hating Upton, Upton's down year, and the Seattle deal falling through, a lot of interested teams are sitting back and waiting to make a move, or see who makes a move. I would love Upton, but only if he was willing to sign a 3 year extension with us.

I bet if we threw Arizona something like Vitters, Baez, Shark, and Barney we could get him. I think that's comparable to what Seattle was offering value wise.
    I don't like Upton that much. Barney and Shark could very easily match his production. And adding Baez and Vitters to it just gives them way too much, IMO.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Shark would be tough to give up, but our system isn't exactly loaded with MLB caliber OF's so I would do the deal with him as the headliner. I think Jeff will be a good pitcher going forward, but I do like Upton. I'm not as worried about Upton as others. Shark w

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I don't like Upton that much. Barney and Shark could very easily match his production. And adding Baez and Vitters to it just gives them way too much, IMO.
    I do like Upton, but still think Shark and Baez + whatever other minor league player(s) is too much. To me it is Shark OR Baez as headliners. Then fill in with other players. Barney, Vitters, Lake, etc.. Any prospect(s) not in the Cubs top 5 of 6 can be added with either Shark or Baez as headliners. The Cubs can also move Shark for prospects and put them in the deal along with a few minor league players from the Cubs. Again, not top 5 or 6 from the Cubs system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Shark would be tough to give up, but our system isn't exactly loaded with MLB caliber OF's so I would do the deal with him as the headliner. I think Jeff will be a good pitcher going forward, but I do like Upton. I'm not as worried about Upton as others. Shark w
    Oh yeah, and we all know we're just oversaturated with pitching prospects, right?

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    I actually think OF is our strongest position for mlb talent

vCash
    Wouldn't our OF be our strongest area in the system??? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    From MLBTR:

In another item from Sullivan, Epstein said that he expects the Cubs to contend in 2013 despite the fact that they're still ostensibly rebuilding. "Otherwise, there’s no reason to show up or build a team,” Epstein said. “It’s postseason or bust every year. That’s what our goal is."Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#PpSproJ9AcTMRAjL.99

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    From MLBTR:

In another item from Sullivan, Epstein said that he expects the Cubs to contend in 2013 despite the fact that they're still ostensibly rebuilding. "Otherwise, there’s no reason to show up or build a team,” Epstein said. “It’s postseason or bust every year. That’s what our goal is."Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#PpSproJ9AcTMRAjL.99
    I did see that quote. However, I wonder if he is speaking of the team as it is currently constructed or if he plans on making more moves to make them competetive. Because if he is speakin "as is" I worry about his evaluation skills. I see a 75 win team right now, tops.

Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast