Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A few excerpts from the most recent chat with Bruce Levine:

Question: Any chance the Cubs trade for a 3rd basemen before opening day?

Bruce Levine: They'd love to get a young third baseman like Mike Olt or Lonnie Chisenhall. Their attempts to get these type of players have come up empty so far. They will continue to look for young third basemen if and when they deal Garza.

Question: Hi Bruce, Why not keep Garza until the trade deadline to see how the season is going, if the Cubs are out of contention they could trade him and then try to re-sign him as a free agent without worrying about losing a draft pick.

Bruce Levine: That's a little risky considering that Garza has had elbow and forearm injuries over the past two seasons. If you want to get optimum value for him, you trade him in spring training before he becomes any closer to free agency. At this point I don't think the Cubs are very clear on whether they want to sign him to a long-term deal. Especially with the possibility of a longer-term elbow concerns.

Question: Hi Bruce, Are the Cubs in the discussions to trade for Juston Upton? Thanks!

Bruce Levine: I was hoping someone would ask that. An Arizona source told me that it would take Starlin Castro in order to get a player of Upton's quality. Unfortunately for the Cubs, they are not in a position to trade their good, young players like Baez or Castro to get a player like Upton. But the two sides have talked. Kevin Towers and Epstein are long-time friends from their days with the Padres.

Arizona is going to want more than the Cubs have to offer. The Cubs would have to trade 3 or 4 of their young players for Upton. That would help them at one position, but might not get them to the goal that they have for 2014 and 2015. In my opinion, I would do everything I could to get Upton. I think a change of scenery would be all that he needs to turn his career into a full superstar status.

Question: Any chance the Cubs go after Brian Wilson? I know he is coming off his second TJS, but he is the type of low risk high reward player Theo and Jed like.

Bruce Levine: The Mets appear to be closing in on Wilson. However if the Cubs could get an economically feasible deal, I'm sure they would consider signing him. Their no. 1 priority appears to be moving Marmol before they look at signing any other bullpen guys.

Question: Bruce, can you tell us what Brett Jackson has done in the off-season to prepare for the 2013 campaign? Dom you think he has made any strides in becoming a successful baseball player?

Bruce Levine: The coaches had him out for a mini-camp in November and they feel they found a new mechanism for him. Hopefully this will cut down on his strikeouts. I watched him in this mini-camp, and he was driving the ball consistently. In fairness though, Dale Sveum was the pitcher. Time will tell, but he'll start the season at AAA.

Question: Hey Bruce! With the Cubs convention coming up, do you expect any "surprising" or significant moves to excite the fan base for this next season? Rebuilding isn't sexy and doesn't sell too many tickets...

Bruce Levine: I think the only surprises right now would be Soriano and or Marmol being traded. Cubs are hoping to get some good, young players back and free up their positions for younger talent.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Alberto Cabrera is a fricking BOSS!!!! 2015 if control issues ar a thing of the past #3 starter or 7th 8th inning guy. I likes him a lot.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Alberto Cabrera is a fricking BOSS!!!! 2015 if control issues ar a thing of the past #3 starter or 7th 8th inning guy. I likes him a lot.
    I'll give him this, he throws easy gas. Almost appear to effortlessly reach 95, 96 mph. Always a good thing for a pitcher, regardless if he starts or pitches from the bullpen.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I'll give him this, he throws easy gas. Almost appear to effortlessly reach 95, 96 mph. Always a good thing for a pitcher, regardless if he starts or pitches from the bullpen.
    If he can Start effectively Boy oh Boy...I likes our young guys and to pair him with Shark/Vizcaino/Manea...yummy

9Ks through 4 1/3
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    It's hard to say it would take Castro to get Upton with a straight face when we saw the deal Seattle had for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Yeah, that's what it is.
    Lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    If he can Start effectively Boy oh Boy...I likes our young guys and to pair him with Shark/Vizcaino/Manea...yummy

9Ks through 4 1/3
    Cabrera has been really good in the Dominican Winter League playoffs. ERA down to 0.92 with 15/6 K to BB ratio and he didn't walk anyone tonight

vCash
    Hey look, a top prospect got traded and fetched way less than everyone thought. Again.
    Hey look, what represents one will represent all.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Hey look, what represents one will represent all.........
    It's been done several times already.

Vizcaino for Maholm/4th OFer.

Myers+ for Shields.

The Red Sox/Dodgers trade.

Bauer for Gregorius.

Pile of prospects for JA Happ.

Marlins/Jays trade.

D'Ardnaud + Syndergaard for Dickey.

Probably missed a couple.

vCash
    Bauer is a prospect traded for an apparent LESSER prospect so that doesn't count in Kyle's argument. I still say might as well cash in while average players are netting top prospects. Just because this offseason they are less valued doesn't mean prospect value won't eb and flow upward next year. This could just be a weird valley.

vCash
    Marlins/Jays??

That wouldn't help his argument at all.

vCash
    It's hard to say it would take Castro to get Upton with a straight face when we saw the deal Seattle had for him.
    I was thinking the same thing. That was nothing more than wishful thinking on the source's part. Arizona has very little leverage with the current situation they are in with Upton. Such a toxic relationship between the lot of them. They will never wind up getting fair value for Upton. The Mariner deal was the high point and it will only go down from there.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Bauer is a prospect traded for an apparent LESSER prospect so that doesn't count in Kyle's argument. I still say might as well cash in while average players are netting top prospects. Just because this offseason they are less valued doesn't mean prospect value won't eb and flow upward next year. This could just be a weird valley.
    Aka a prospect who should have gotten "more."

Marlins/Jays??

That wouldn't help his argument at all.
    Carlos Lee for Matt Dominguez and Rasmussen.

Alex Meyer for Span

Trevor May+ for Revere

Half a season of Greinke for three top 10 prospects in the system.

vCash
    Aka a prospect who should have gotten "more."
    So then what do you say from the Indians prospective? Their prospect landed a much higher prospect, therefore prospects are valuable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    So then what do you say from the Indians prospective? Their prospect landed a much higher prospect, therefore prospects are valuable.
    Well of course not cause that wouldn't support that solid theory.

Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast