Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 47 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If signed would it make sense to sign Hariston to a one or 2 year deal??
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I would say 2 years because he's a quality player. And years of control for reasonable cost is always worth something.

vCash
    At 8 mill, may as well go 2 years on Hairston. Honestly doubt one year gets him anyway. Hell, Ross just got 3/27. Not THAT big of a difference between them. If you add Hairston and trade Soriano, to go along with signing Bourn, I like it a lot. 2 platoons and Bourn would be extremely productive. Have heard so little on Bourn recently, not sure what to think there. I'm guessing the Upton situation needs to play out first? With Texas and Seattle both in need and connected to both?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    I would say 2 years because he's a quality player. And years of control for reasonable cost is always worth something.
    I agree and when and if trading that is an easy contract for a contender to take on.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I don't like you right now PSD!
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    Im getting used to it haha.

Hariston would be a nicr addition to plattoon to reiterate what everyone is saying...but i think were close to or are done making moves until ST.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    If signed would it make sense to sign Hariston to a one or 2 year deal??
    If 2 years $8 MM is what gets him, I don't have a problem with that. 4 MM for a very productive platoon guy who isn't a burden on the defensive end is not that bad at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Hairston would be a good addition.

Epstein was merely a victim of pesky owners forcing him to trade for Adrian Gonzalez so the owners could make more money:

Theo Epstein traded for Adrian Gonzalez and signed Carl Crawford following pressure from Boston Red Sox owners to build a "sexy team," according to a book co-authored by former Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona.

"They told us we didn't have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle," Epstein is quoted as saying. "We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We'd become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be."

That poor boy...forced by tyrants to move on a 28 year old elite bat and GG 1B....sickening. I hope Ricketts never makes that happen.
    Pretty sure it was more the "being forced" instead of just letting it be when he felt the deal was right and then the fact that it forced him to give out a very, very lucrative contract extension when Epstein has been pretty consistent in saying you should pay for what you're getting in the future, not what a guy did in the past.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    There were certainly red flags attached to Crawford as he was coming off the best year of his career and his defensive value was based on being a rangey left-fielder which doesn't help much if you're playing half your games in Boston.

I wonder how often top-paid free agents with long term deals have had the best year of their career in the first season with their new team. It looks like A-Rod was worth it both times. Soriano was certainly worth 10MM in his first season with the Cubs even if wasn't an MVP year.

My issue with these sorts of deals is that, unless they seem to be one of the best players of the decade, the risk is extreme. Here are the 20MM players from 2012:

1 Alex Rodriguez New York Yankees $ 30,000,000 Third Baseman
    2 Vernon Wells Los Angeles Angels $ 24,187,500 Outfielder
    3 Johan Santana New York Mets $ 23,145,011 Pitcher
    4 Mark Teixeira New York Yankees $ 23,125,000 First Baseman
    5 Prince Fielder Detroit Tigers $ 23,000,000 First Baseman
    5 Joe Mauer Minnesota Twins $ 23,000,000 Catcher
    5 CC Sabathia New York Yankees $ 23,000,000 Pitcher
    8 Adrian Gonzalez Boston Red Sox $ 21,857,142 First Baseman
    9 Cliff Lee Philadelphia Phillies $ 21,500,000 Pitcher
    10 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers $ 21,000,000 First Baseman
    11 Carl Crawford Boston Red Sox $ 20,357,142 Outfielder
    12 Justin Verlander Detroit Tigers $ 20,100,000 Pitcher
    13 Roy Halladay Philadelphia Phillies $ 20,000,000 Pitcher
    13 Ryan Howard Philadelphia Phillies $ 20,000,000 First Baseman
    7 of those players have either significant injury issues or just plain "not nearly as good as they used to be" issues. I'm not saying teams should never give out these contracts, but there's a big difference between giving them to players who have been MVP caliber nearly since they entered the league (Pujols/ARod) vs. players who look like they could be an MVP player (Crawford).
    Last edited by terencem; 01-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Pretty sure it was more the "being forced" instead of just letting it be when he felt the deal was right and then the fact that it forced him to give out a very, very lucrative contract extension when Epstein has been pretty consistent in saying you should pay for what you're getting in the future, not what a guy did in the past.
    Gonzalez was extended to a pretty damn good deal for both sides considering what he was when he signed it. Considering his age at the time there's no reason to think his production would go down within two years, and he's still a very good player with plenty of room for a big seaaon.

vCash
    Crawford at the time averaged 5 WAR a year. My opinion is that Fenway Park didn't fit his individual skillset and then injuries hit. He's another guy I don't believe is now a bad player moving forward.

vCash
    From Fangraphs chat:

Why don't the Cubs try to sign Bourn or Lohse to a 2-year deal, give them a limited no trade clause, and spin them come July?

Dave Cameron: Might happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    From Fangraphs chat:

Why don't the Cubs try to sign Bourn or Lohse to a 2-year deal, give them a limited no trade clause, and spin them come July?

Dave Cameron: Might happen.
    Doubtful. Especially Lohse. They lose a draft pick if they sign either. I realize they would get someone in a trade, but draft picks are apparently like gold. personally I see no use for Lohse, but I would not mind Bourn, even with losing a pick.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't want Lohse and I don't think the Cubs do either. I think the answer was more geared towards Bourn. He also said he thinks Bourn signs a contract for 3 years/$42 million.

vCash
    I want absolutely no part of Lohse.

Page 47 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast