Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Damn it people...it's BOURN

vCash
    I'm too unhealthy to care.

vCash
    Clearly there are Major League free agents that are talented enough to justify surrendering a first round pick and certainly a second round pick. You are acquiring the assets. If the contract makes sense then you are getting more in the player’s services and potential trade value for that player, something that is more valuable than what you are surrendering in terms of dollars and the draft pick certainly would make sense.
    Got that from the CCO. It's more of what Theo had to say that could be applied to Bourn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve:24964472
    Damn it people...it's BOURN
    He's talking about Jason Bourne from the movie series.

vCash
    Another good Theo snippet:

The state of the Cubs’ organization, as it relates to signing someone like Jackson: The organization is a bit imbalanced, with more depth on the positional side. It’s next to impossible to build a rotation in one or two Winters, so we have to pick our spots (“get them when they’re available” – Theo actually used that line

vCash
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-chicago-cubs/

Zips has been unleashed.

Batters
    The Cubs are projected by ZiPS to have, in shortstop Starlin Castro and first baseman Anthony Rizzo, to have a pair of basically All Star-type players who are also just 23 years old. Those are good kinds of players to have — especially for a team that isn’t likely to be very competitive this season, but has the resources to invest in free agents if and when such a thing is called for in the near future.

Pitchers
    In Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, and recent signing Edwin Jackson, Chicago has a perfectly reputable triumvirate atop its starting rotation — one that ZiPS regards as worth something like nine wins. Before the Cubs signed Scott Feldman, our Dave Cameron had hailed — or, at least something close to hailed — him (i.e. Feldman) as “one of the best buys on the market.” His innings projection reflects the swing role he filled in Texas, which saw him make 45 starts and 24 relief appearances, for example, over the last three seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    You can't read anything into that. He basically said draft picks are very very valuable now even more than ever (we are not signing bourne), but some players are worth losing the picks (we are signing bourne).
    That isn't how I decode Theo speak. The way I read it is if you have a type A player (Greinke) willing to sign with you then you jump on it losing the draft pick. Beyond that you hold pat keeping your pick instead of signing a type B player (Bourn). That it takes that superstar type player to make it worth losing the pick.

Only time will tell which of us are right. Though I do expect them to address this in tweaking the CBA for next off season. This is absolutely not what was intended when you have a player like Lohse sitting out there with zerooffers. These players are suffering the laws of unintended consequences from the tinkering with the draft and everything that goes along with it by Selig. So with that regard I hope these players remain unsigned forcing his hand to fix what he screwed up in the first place.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century – that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    I wonder how they'd change it. Lose the pick but keep the pool money for that pick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    That isn't how I decode Theo speak. The way I read it is if you have a type A player (Greinke) willing to sign with you then you jump on it losing the draft pick. Beyond that you hold pat keeping your pick instead of signing a type B player (Bourn). That it takes that superstar type player to make it worth losing the pick.

Only time will tell which of us are right. Though I do expect them to address this in tweaking the CBA for next off season. This is absolutely not what was intended when you have a player like Lohse sitting out there with zerooffers. These players are suffering the laws of unintended consequences from the tinkering with the draft and everything that goes along with it by Selig. So with that regard I hope these players remain unsigned forcing his hand to fix what he screwed up in the first place.
    I take it to mean since our first pick is protected if Bourn's contract offers more value than the allotted pick then it's a no brainer to sign a player of Bourn's stature as he will maybe net you more of a return in performance and as a tradable asset than the second round pick affords you. So back to my 4 year 62 million projection if he signs for that you do it in a heartbeat.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    The easy fix to me is team that signs player loses 1mill off draft budget, regardless of record. Team that loses player receives comp pick after 1st AND 2nd as well. Do away with having to be playing for team all season to be eligible for qualifier.

vCash
    Interesting that ZiPS projects BJax for 2.3 wins even with a 34% K-rate.

vCash
    Projection systems like Jackson because of his secondary skillz. With this, the James one, and his new fixed swing I'm hoping some outside team likes him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    It all looks about in line with what I expect. When you start divvying up the playing time, that's about 77 wins.

vCash
    Anyone you think is under or over projected?

vCash
    i think they over projected stewarts war.

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast