Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    And what annoys me is people don't realize that spending money on mediocre complementary players when no prominent core exists will kill your team in the long run. Obviously, that is, unless you have a massive budget like we USED TO have. But that isn't the case anymore. Accept that, or honestly, find a new team to support.
    You're assuming that they'll spend when the time is right. Correct?

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    That's a lot of assumptions...

If you make an assumption, you make an *** out of "u" and me.
    no, that's what happens when you "ASSUME."

When you make an "assumption," you make an *** out of ump and tion.

Just sayin.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    You're assuming that they'll spend when the time is right. Correct?

-Stork
    Not an exorbitant amount, but I think they'll spend enough to have a payroll in the $85-95 million range or so.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    We should have been able to afford either one of them, with all of the contracts we have been dumping for years now.
    Yes, we should be able to afford them. I am currently choosing to believe that if they were viable options, we may have looked at them. However, It is clear that there is a plan in place and the Bournes and Hamilton's of the world do not fit that plan. Because they cost too much? No. Because they cost A LOT and won't be worth it. Bourne is a speed guy, HE WILL LOSE THAT DIMENSION. If we could have signed him for 2 years, great. He wasn't singing for that though, so he isn't a long-term option. Hamilton is one of the best hitters in baseball when he is on. The problem is he is way too inconsistent and has major off field issue to deal with. I, for one, don't consider it smart to give a guy like this a HUGE, LONG-TERM contract.

In my eyes, staying put in this years FA market was a wise decision. Was it done to save money because the Wilpons are cheap? That could be the case. However, THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS THE WRONG MOVE. Did we go into Iraq for the oil and becyase Daddy wanted us to? Maybe, but that doesn't mean killing that douche was a bad move.

I am disappointed that we don't seem to be in the market to make a trade for an OF. I am not talking a superstar that will cost us all of our prospects. I am talking about a solid guy that might still develop and can be in the OF for awhile and cut next season's shopping list to two.

I can see what the possible plan is. I can agree with it. I can also see how all of this is BS and the Wilpons plan on doing nothing but cutting payroll every year.

Unlike some on here who are condescending ***holes and think they know exactly what is happening, I will wait until next off season to make the judgement on which plan I think they are working on.

vCash
    I think SA has done a great job too. I would love to have signed Cody Ross but wasn't to be oh well. I think SA should be trying to get in touch with The Angels about CF P Bourjos or M Trumbo or Diamond Back J Kubel anyone of them would be here for atleast 5 to 6 yrs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    Yes, we should be able to afford them. I am currently choosing to believe that if they were viable options, we may have looked at them. However, It is clear that there is a plan in place and the Bournes and Hamilton's of the world do not fit that plan. Because they cost too much? No. Because they cost A LOT and won't be worth it. Bourne is a speed guy, HE WILL LOSE THAT DIMENSION. If we could have signed him for 2 years, great. He wasn't singing for that though, so he isn't a long-term option. Hamilton is one of the best hitters in baseball when he is on. The problem is he is way too inconsistent and has major off field issue to deal with. I, for one, don't consider it smart to give a guy like this a HUGE, LONG-TERM contract.

In my eyes, staying put in this years FA market was a wise decision. Was it done to save money because the Wilpons are cheap? That could be the case. However, THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS THE WRONG MOVE. Did we go into Iraq for the oil and becyase Daddy wanted us to? Maybe, but that doesn't mean killing that douche was a bad move.

I am disappointed that we don't seem to be in the market to make a trade for an OF. I am not talking a superstar that will cost us all of our prospects. I am talking about a solid guy that might still develop and can be in the OF for awhile and cut next season's shopping list to two.

I can see what the possible plan is. I can agree with it. I can also see how all of this is BS and the Wilpons plan on doing nothing but cutting payroll every year.

Unlike some on here who are condescending ***holes and think they know exactly what is happening, I will wait until next off season to make the judgement on which plan I think they are working on.
    ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Give that man a harumph.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    The Angels want too much for Trumbo or Bourjos, the D-Backs want too much for Upton and I wouldn't touch Alfonso Soriano with a ten foot pole. Bourn unless he can be had for about two years which is maybe what he might have to except he's not even an option as a FA. The way this offseason has gone with these crazy contracts being offered the Mets with the way they are being run currently won't be signing anybody decent. This Brown guy they just signed is about as elite as it's going to get this offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post

What makes it so clear that there is a plan in place? You say that like it is just a granted proposition. There are several that would not agree. Not just the condescending fans, but rival gms, agents and informed people in the media. So, don't be condescending making it out like there is an obvious plan and all the haters can't see it. The only plan that is obvious is salary dump. Retooling the farm seems like it is a plan too, but the recent drafts seem to contradict that in my opinion (I know it has been argued a million times). Aside from that, there is no plan that is OBVIOUS.

I am unfortunately a Browns fan in football (grew up in Ohio as a kid). They sell us every few years on how there is a PLAN with each new GM, and then there is failure and a new plan. This smells a lot like that to me, but with more disengenious people running the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    And what annoys me is people don't realize that spending money on mediocre complementary players when no prominent core exists will kill your team in the long run. Obviously, that is, unless you have a massive budget like we USED TO have. But that isn't the case anymore. Accept that, or honestly, find a new team to support.
    That is absolute rubbish. We had a prominent core for 4-5 years and won zip. This core obession is way overblown.

None of this explains how everything is differtent in 12 months time, that's nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    That is absolute rubbish. We had a prominent core for 4-5 years and won zip. This core obession is way overblown.

None of this explains how everything is differtent in 12 months time, that's nonsense.
    Rubbish?

We had a great core and great supporting players in 2006 and look how far we got. 2007 and 2008 our supporting players were replaced by lesser players and we weren't nearly as good and our pen started to suck.

The reason why we couldn't make significant trades to improve the team was because our farm system sucked balls and we had no depth whatsoever at the upper levels.

That is why we are rebuilding so when we are ready to compete(whenever that is) we will be in better position to get our team over the top! Why is that so hard to understand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Rubbish?

We had a core and great supporting players in 2006 and look how far we got. 2007 and 2008 our supporting players weren't nearly as good and our pen started to suck.

The reason why we couldn't make significant trades to improve the team was because our farm system sucked balls and we had no depth whatsoever at the upper levels.
    Yes, it is absolute rubbish. Just another excuse for doing nothing overt and over again. Oh no! we donlt have a 'core' that means we shouldn't try and improve the team!!!

We let our pen die after '06...

vCash
    Rubbish?

We had a great core and great supporting players in 2006 and look how far we got. 2007 and 2008 our supporting players were replaced by lesser players and we weren't nearly as good and our pen started to suck.

That is why we are rebuilding so when we are ready to compete(whenever that is) we will be in better position to get our team over the top! Why is that so hard to understand?
    Because we'll never be ready to compete without signing better players...you'll be talking about this rebuild for years at this rate....

You just can't see it....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Because we'll never be ready to compete without signing better players...you'll be talking about this rebuild for years at this rate....

You just can't see it....

We are not ready to compete dude. Is the difference between 70 and 80 wins that important to you?

Are you that content with mediocrity? If we have to suck for a few years to get sustained success over a long period of time, so be it.

vCash
    They spent money, just on the wrong players like Bay, Perez and the Santana contract was dicey for the amount of years they had to shell out for a pitcher who had questions about his health longterm. The Frank Francisco deal has confused me till this day because he is utter garbage out there. Does anyone believe that the Mets had they kept the payroll around 140-150 million would have been able to put a championship together? IMO no.

vCash
    We are not ready to compete.

Are you that content with mediocrity? If we have to suck for a few years to get sustained success over a long period of time, so be it.
    But the thing is there is no guarantee of that either. You can throw away six to seven years and still never be a championship caliber team.

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast