Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 619
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Not that I won't be pulling for the team, of course I will... not that I won't be following the team, of course I will...

    But you're right.

    We haven't just surrendered 2013 - we've also surrendered 2014. Because ONE off-season of free agent(s) won't be enough for us to compete. We needed to start *this* off-season in order to position ourselves to be competitive in 2014.



    I am so glad there are people left here with a brain. Virtually everyone else has been cloned. It's like the Stepford Wives on here.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    [/B]


    I am so glad there are people left here with a brain. Virtually everyone else has been cloned. It's like the Stepford Wives on here.
    Just a few months ago, I disagreed with you about everything. Now I'm finally starting to get it. Sorry I was so late to the party.

    I still sympathize with all of the optimists though. I try to be optimistic about all of my teams. If you're pessimistic, it becomes painful to watch/root for your team. Heck, maybe they do turn it around at some point but right now I am so far from convinced, I just can't believe anything they say.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    808
    vCash
    1500
    You can't overpay for FA outfielders if you're losing money. + You can't expect an ownership change if your owners are in bed with Selig. = Reduce payroll and get younger.

    That's just the way it is.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Just a few months ago, I disagreed with you about everything. Now I'm finally starting to get it. Sorry I was so late to the party.

    I still sympathize with all of the optimists though. I try to be optimistic about all of my teams. If you're pessimistic, it becomes painful to watch/root for your team. Heck, maybe they do turn it around at some point but right now I am so far from convinced, I just can't believe anything they say.

    No worries, I hope the start trying to win soon and start spending some money but I can't see it.

    I think the optimists are just happier deluding themselves that everything is just going to fall into place overnight, yet they think i'm crazy...

    It won't be long before they start talking about 2015, they way they used to talk about 2014, and every year prior to that really.

    I think what the Mets are doing is extremely cynical, they're just stringing people along with excuse after excuse.

    Payroll down, ticket prices up and they punt again, this after $50M has come off payroll, and Madoff is over...

    BS.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Maybe they surprise us with a trade for an OF. That might change my mood considerably.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Maybe they surprise us with a trade for an OF. That might change my mood considerably.
    It could, but at what cost?

    We should not be draining the farm system at this point, it's taken years to get to having an average farm system.

    You bet if they did, the very same people who aid it's pointless trying to improve the team would be all over it.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,917
    vCash
    1500
    It's official, the Mets have the worst outfield in Major League Baseball. We can probably argue that some franchise's AAA outfields are better than the Mets'.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,917
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It could, but at what cost?

    We should not be draining the farm system at this point, it's taken years to get to having an average farm system.

    You bet if they did, the very same people who aid it's pointless trying to improve the team would be all over it.
    Trade for Stanton by trading Harvey, Wheeler and whatever mid-level prospect that interests Miami and see what future the Mets have with one outfielder.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Any trade for Upton that doesn't involve Wright/D'Arnaud/Ike/Harvey/Wheeler or Niese would be great to me, but that's not happening.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    I don't see how we're 5+ losses worse than last season. Dickey is gone, yes, but Davis should certainly have a more productive season, the outfield will probably put up comparable production (I mean, how can they possibly be worse...), and we have improved at catcher. The bullpen is another place where we can hope for improvement, because again, it can't really be worse than last season. Francisco will hopefully be healthy, and perhaps we catch lightning in a bottle somewhere. Find me a successful 2012 team that did not get "lucky" with 1-2 of their relievers.

    Obviously the rotation may be weaker, but full seasons from Harvey and Gee and potentially some contribution from Wheeler could help there. And Niese should also continue to grow.

    I'm not saying we're good. But as of now I would peg us for a good 74 wins.
    You have to factor in that the Mets were extremely lucky in the first half of last year (2 out base hits with RISP, ect.) resulting in more wins than their talent would predict. Further, the outfield can be worse than last year due to the absence of Hairston and I see no improvement in the bullpen. Throw in the loss of Dickey and high '60s is not unreasonable.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Here we go again:

    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/outfiel...shopping-list/
    “A team insider said it’s conceivable the Mets actually will not add an outfielder on a major league contract this offseason,” Adam Rubin reported for ESPN New York last night.

    However, today, Rubin cites another team official as saying outfield still remains on their ‘shopping list,’ along with a a starting pitcher and bullpen depth.
    Anyone feeling dizzy? I think this is what the front office intends.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,917
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Any trade for Upton that doesn't involve Wright/D'Arnaud/Ike/Harvey/Wheeler or Niese would be great to me, but that's not happening.
    So Upton for Duda, Murphy and a bag of balls do it? Arizona is holding out for the farm....literally. They are probably going to drain Texas' farm system now that the Rangers have to replace Hamilton's production fast.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Trade for Stanton by trading Harvey, Wheeler and whatever mid-level prospect that interests Miami and see what future the Mets have with one outfielder.
    I'd rather not.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    You have to factor in that the Mets were extremely lucky in the first half of last year (2 out base hits with RISP, ect.) resulting in more wins than their talent would predict. Further, the outfield can be worse than last year due to the absence of Hairston and I see no improvement in the bullpen. Throw in the loss of Dickey and high '60s is not unreasonable.
    That isn't being "extremely lucky" per se. You could turn it around and argue that we were "extremely unlucky" with 0 outs and RISP.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    So Upton for Duda, Murphy and a bag of balls do it? Arizona is holding out for the farm....literally. They are probably going to drain Texas' farm system now that the Rangers have to replace Hamilton's production fast.
    I know.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •