Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yes the Mets have to rebuild. But they don't have to totally ****ing suck and challenge the Marlins for last place. A NY team should be able to put an entertaining team out there even during the rebuilding process. And this team as presently constructed is not a 75 win team. It is worse than last year. We are looking at high 60's.

One last point. If you are going to have a mid-tier payroll for a sustained period you should charge mid-tier prices. The Wilpons think they can put their mistakes (or misfortunes for the most generous minded of you) on the backs of Mets fans. It won't work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Yes the Mets have to rebuild. But they don't have to totally ****ing suck and challenge the Marlins for last place. A NY team should be able to put an entertaining team out there even during the rebuilding process. And this team as presently constructed is not a 75 win team. It is worse than last year. We are looking at high 60's.

One last point. If you are going to have a mid-tier payroll for a sustained period you should charge mid-tier prices. The Wilpons think they can put their mistakes (or misfortunes for the most generous minded of you) on the backs of Mets fans. It won't work.
    The Mets use dynamic ticket pricing for single games. It is a fair way to adjust ticket prices on a real-time basis in accordance with supply and demand. Prices for some single games could plummet during the season.

Season tickets are priced at a premium, because they provide buyers with specific guarantees - seating, availability, options, perks, etc.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Here's the deal: We aren't competing in 2013. Get over it.

One major factor is how well Johan rebounds. We're not resigning him. If he does really well, he'll be traded mid season for a top tier outfield prospect. Then with his bloated contract off the books, plus another year under our belts, both the young prospects and the money hit in 2014.

That's just the way it is. Embrace the plan or go root for some other team.

vCash
    [QUOTE=milominderbinde;24963452]Yes the Mets have to rebuild. But they don't have to totally ****ing suck and challenge the Marlins for last place. A NY team should be able to put an entertaining team out there even during the rebuilding process. And this team as presently constructed is not a 75 win team. It is worse than last year. We are looking at high 60's.

Why don't people get this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Voodoo View Post
    Here's the deal: We aren't competing in 2013. Get over it.

One major factor is how well Johan rebounds. We're not resigning him. If he does really well, he'll be traded mid season for a top tier outfield prospect. Then with his bloated contract off the books, plus another year under our belts, both the young prospects and the money hit in 2014.

That's just the way it is. Embrace the plan or go root for some other team.

No thanks. I prefer to think for myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Why don't people get this?
    They do get it, but they understand three more things:

01. There's no point in winning a few extra games in 2013 at the expense of putting together a competitive roster for the long term.

02. There are significant financial constraints presently that prevent Alderson from acquiring higher-priced talent.

03. There are still players available on the market, and trades can be completed prior to opening day. Patience is clearly something Alderson uses as leverage.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    No thanks. I prefer to think for myself.
    Yeah, that is what you are doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    SA knows who is on the market, and who is not, and at what cost. Sometimes the cost is prohibitive, and it's better to wait and see what pops up on the radar. So...I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I still don't see why they can't get creative and trade for a ML ready outfield prospect or a young proven outfielder.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash

01. There's no point in winning a few extra games in 2013 at the expense of putting together a competitive roster for the long term.

02. There are significant financial constraints presently that prevent Alderson from acquiring higher-priced talent.

03. There are still players available on the market, and trades can be completed prior to opening day. Patience is clearly something Alderson uses as leverage.
    Theoretically this is spot on. All one needs to do is look at the Mets from 2001-4 when they spent a ton of money on guys like Kevin Appier and then Mo Vaughn, Roger Cedeno, and Jeromy Burnitz.

Instead of having patience they tried to plug holes one at a time without proper consideration of the holes they had and the players they were bringing in to fill them. The result is they spun their wheels for four more years, robbing the team of any proper foundation.

So on one level I appreciate what Sandy is doing now. But it will all be for naught and they'll invariably end up spinning their wheels again if they dont increase payroll appropriately in a year or two.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    All I can say is: LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    If you're being serious, I have one quesiton to ask you.

Why do you say that? He's been given very little work with and has accomplished his two biggest goals this year:

- Resign David Wright
    - Trade or Resign Dickey and in our case, he traded him for more than what we we supposed to get.

This has been a successful offseason by Sandy in my eyes. If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at Wilpon.
    well if you as a true Mets fan, can live with back to back 4th place finishes, and looking at an even worse year then the previous 2 years, WHO has he brought in at a MLB level yet, everyone wanted Omar out of town, at least his first 4 teams had wining records, they were fun to watch, he couldnt help they started to have injury after injury, I love the fact that alot of folks say he is building the future, well did you look at what Buffalo and Binghamton did last year, not much, lets wait and see how these prospect turn out in New York before we praise the man

vCash

But that's not the case at all.

Then we're wasting our time.

Heard it all before.

vCash
    So no point spending then either?

You can take my silence however you want I would not have signed Ludwick, I would have thought about Ross.

As Coupon said, I just can't see how putting out the worst team possible helps anything. How does this help TDA, MH and Wheeler develop if they're losing games all the time in front of empty spaces, welcome to NY, where the owners quit before the season starts, and the fans could care less...

Do any of you people actually think they're going to spend extra next year because they're spending nothing now? is that the thought process? is it?

There's no reason why this team can't try and improve itself without destroying the future, but ya'll think turning a winner into a loser just happens overnight because a contract expires and a few nice prospects come up, do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

This a team with one proven star offensive player, that has just lost an ace, has not ONE Of'er who is capable of starting and the worst BP in baseball - yet we need no help, and we'll start competing in 15 months time...

If the Phllies come up with this plan, you'd be pissing yourselves laughing at it and pulling it to pieces, SA has given you some new toys to cream yourselves over and any objectivity and honesty has gone right out the window with them - the prospect junkies have got their crack, and to hell with winning baseball games.
    I mis-read your question, I thought you were referring to 2013. The point we were trying to make with the Ross/Ludwick thing is there hasn't really been anyone out there worth signing. Bourne is definitely a great player, but is he worth surrendering our first round pick? It's debatable, but it doesn't really matter since we can't afford to add $10+ million to this year's budget. Obviously that sucks, and trust me, I am not defending the Wilpons at all. I am defending Sandy, who has no money to spend and is avoiding wasting future budgets on non-impact players.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    Yeah, that is what you are doing.

Yeah, you keep on beleiving the Coupon PR machine, that's proved very trustworthy in the past.

vCash
    [/B]

Heard it all before.
    How is that not the case at all? How can you possibly argue that signing Cody Ross to a three-year deal and paying him $9 million in 2014 and 2015 wouldn't hurt our chances?

"Then we're wasting our time"? What does that even mean? So what is YOUR solution outside of the Wilpons selling the team? Are you just saying that it isn't possible to build a winning ballclub with a payroll around $95 million?

Damn, I've been away from PSD for too long. I've forgotten that some members just will not budge regardless of the argument presented. I guess this will be one of those "agree to disagree" scenarios.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast