Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It would have taken around 3/24 for Ludwick. He turns 35 in July. No thank you to having him at 38 years old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    You can always always find a reason to do nothing, that's easy. That's what the Mets have been doing for the last 3-4 years.
    Do you agree not signing Ludwick to a 2+ 1 deal was a good decision? Ludwick had a nice year in 2012, but year to year he isn't a model of consistency, and how would his numbers translate to 81 games at Citi Field versus Great American Ball Park?

What about not signing Cody Ross to a three year deal? Would you have signed him?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Do you agree not signing Ludwick to a 2+ 1 deal was a good decision? Ludwick had a nice year in 2012, but year to year he isn't a model of consistency, and how would his numbers translate to 81 games at Citi Field versus Great American Ball Park?

What about not signing Cody Ross to a three year deal? Would you have signed him?

Tell me who these perfect players are that the Mets are going to sign instead?

vCash
    He's not the GM.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He's not the GM.

Exactly. All doing nothing does, is leave you more to do.

vCash
    Is that a yes? So yes, you would have signed Ludwick and/or Ross to multiyear contracts?

The bottom line is neither of those players would have made us a playoff team. So why hurt the 2014-2016 Mets in order to make a 75-win team a 78-win team?
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Is that a yes? So yes, you would have signed Ludwick and/or Ross to multiyear contracts?

The bottom line is neither of those players would have made us a playoff team. So why hurt the 2014-2016 Mets in order to make a 75-win team a 78-win team?

Who is going to make us a playoff team next year?

vCash
    Nobody...that's the point...

I'll take your silence as a "yes, I would have signed Cody Ross to a three year contract or Ryan Ludwick to a 2 +1 contract" then.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Nobody...that's the point...

I'll take your silence as a "yes, I would have signed Cody Ross to a three year contract or Ryan Ludwick to a 2 +1 contract" then.

So no point spending then either?

You can take my silence however you want I would not have signed Ludwick, I would have thought about Ross.

As Coupon said, I just can't see how putting out the worst team possible helps anything. How does this help TDA, MH and Wheeler develop if they're losing games all the time in front of empty spaces, welcome to NY, where the owners quit before the season starts, and the fans could care less...

Do any of you people actually think they're going to spend extra next year because they're spending nothing now? is that the thought process? is it?

There's no reason why this team can't try and improve itself without destroying the future, but ya'll think turning a winner into a loser just happens overnight because a contract expires and a few nice prospects come up, do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

This a team with one proven star offensive player, that has just lost an ace, has not ONE Of'er who is capable of starting and the worst BP in baseball - yet we need no help, and we'll start competing in 15 months time...

If the Phllies come up with this plan, you'd be pissing yourselves laughing at it and pulling it to pieces, SA has given you some new toys to cream yourselves over and any objectivity and honesty has gone right out the window with them - the prospect junkies have got their crack, and to hell with winning baseball games.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    Michael Bourne would be an excellent choice, but the cost of the 11th pick in the draft and 3 to 5 years at $14m to $16m/year would not be a good choice if the Mets are multiple players away from being competitive. While the Mets will be free of the burden of Bay and Santana in 2014, I don't expect payroll to jump dramatically. SA will still be tied to a mid-range payroll, and he's going to have to make careful decisions on how he spends money.

Scott Hairston is my choice for 2013, especially as a platoon partner for Duda.

...the prospect junkies have got their crack, and to hell with winning baseball games.
    To some degree, I agree with this statement. Prospects = hope, so people feel better, but every good team I know of was built with prospects, either incorporating them into the lineup or trading them for established talent. So if you value winning, you value prospects.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    The Diamondbacks have a surplus of young outfielders. I don't see any reason why it doesn't make Sense to put a package together to obtain an outfielder. I agree there isn't anyone on the free agent market but the Diamondbacks alone have Parra, Upton, Eaton and Pollock to go along with Kubel. Why can't we trade for Parra, Eaton or Pollack? All three are talented young outfielders and all make sense for the Mets.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Johann Santana
    Matt Harvey
    Jon Niese
    Chris Young/Zack Wheeler
    Dillon Gee
    John Buck
    Travis d'Arnaud
    Ike Davis
    Daniel Murphy
    David Wright
    Reuben Tejada...

...Frank Francisco

Oh wait. Damn.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    The Diamondbacks have a surplus of young outfielders. I don't see any reason why it doesn't make Sense to put a package together to obtain an outfielder. I agree there isn't anyone on the free agent market but the Diamondbacks alone have Parra, Upton, Eaton and Pollock to go along with Kubel. Why can't we trade for Parra, Eaton or Pollack? All three are talented young outfielders and all make sense for the Mets.
    I really thought SA would shake up the roster with some trades this winter. In SA's mind, it probably comes down to timing. Patience has worked well for him, and I'll give him the benefit of doubt on reading the market and knowing when to pull the trigger.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I really thought SA would shake up the roster with some trades this winter. In SA's mind, it probably comes down to timing. Patience has worked well for him, and I'll give him the benefit of doubt on reading the market and knowing when to pull the trigger.
    Thats not the answer though. By not making a move they are delaying. I am not saying trade for a 30 year old outfielder by any means.

They need to trade for a young outfielder with upside to go along with Kirk, Cowgill and Duda. They don't have a long term outfield solution other then possibly kirk in the organization.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Thats not the answer though. By not making a move they are delaying. I am not saying trade for a 30 year old outfielder by any means.

They need to trade for a young outfielder with upside to go along with Kirk, Cowgill and Duda. They don't have a long term outfield solution other then possibly kirk in the organization.
    SA knows who is on the market, and who is not, and at what cost. Sometimes the cost is prohibitive, and it's better to wait and see what pops up on the radar. So...I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast