Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Really????

You can't see someone stopping off at the mall at Od Navy or BeBe for a pair of jeans then grabbing a few pretzels at Auntie Annies and scooting across the street for the game????
    I don't think you understand what's coming. Think a chintzy Wilponized version of Wrigleyville in Chicago or Yawkey Way in Boston, with plans for another two sports arenas in the immediate area.

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/willets-point

I agree with your implication. I think it's crazy to waste money on this development there, but Wilpon is doing it on the public dime, so for him it makes sense.

Most likely if they ever spend real money on payroll again, it'll be when the project happens so there'll be more fans to spend at the "baseball neighborhood".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I don't think you understand what's coming. Think a chintzy Wilponized version of Wrigleyville in Chicago or Yawkey Way in Boston, with plans for another two sports arenas in the immediate area.

I agree with your implication. I think it's crazy to waste money on this development there, but Wilpon is doing it on the public dime, so for him it makes sense.

Most likely if they ever spend real money on payroll again, it'll be when the project happens so there'll be more fans to spend at the "baseball neighborhood".
    I for one think this project will be great for that area. It's such an ugly place with little to do there. The area needs to be more baseball friendly imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I for one think this project will be great for that area. It's such an ugly place with little to do there. The area needs to be more baseball friendly imo.
    The area will never be baseball friendly if the team and its owners aren't baseball friendly.

And they're not.

vCash

See but whatever gets the Wilpons to spend so be it.

I know this has bigger implications then that and that businesses are being forced out of the neighborhood but i doubt there is anything that will be done about it.

Bloomberg and NYC gave the Wilpons that land because let's face it, the Mets may play in one of the worst adjacent areas to a baseball stadium in any sport. I mean you have Flushing Corona Park, Arthur Ashe Stadium, the Marina, and auto mechanics and junkers for what it seems miles and miles in that area (I'm exaggerating)

It's not aesthetically pleasing by any stretch and neither does it give you that baseball feeling like those other stadiums you mentioned do or did. Citi Field and Shea never even had that Polo Grounds or Ebbets Field type of feeling to it which is surprising considering how much Fred loves his Brooklyn Dodgers.

Like i said i know it's another can of worms and it's obviously all politics on why they were given that land but hey whatever gets these guys in gear.

They have a solid group of young talent, maybe with a presentable bullpen and an OF in the next 2-3 years they could be something than a 74 win team.

vCash

Coup, I'm pretty much in your camp in my dislike of the Wilnotpons and how they run the team. But I have to tell you, sometimes you go a little off the deep end and get a little too Machiavellian with all this background stuff.

They're bad owners and that's pretty much a fact. Dragging in a real estate venture and connecting it to the Mets signing players is a bit of a stretch.
    Stop looking under beds and in closets for hidden monsters. Better still, Gentleman Jack on ice may help. You may need two or three.

If that fails, buy a Strat-O-Matic set and trade Trout for Duda.

vCash
    The area will never be baseball friendly if the team and its owners aren't baseball friendly.

And they're not.
    If they weren't baseball friendly, they would traded Wright too and completely rebuilt this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Really????

You can't see someone stopping off at the mall at Od Navy or BeBe for a pair of jeans then grabbing a few pretzels at Auntie Annies and scooting across the street for the game????
    Park twice? Carry your purchases into the park if you're taking the subway? Doesn't seem ideal to me. But as I said, I'm not the target customer.

vCash

And they're not.
    The team can be baseball friendly, this is a very likable team.

It's ownership that sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Park twice? Carry your purchases into the park if you're taking the subway? Doesn't seem ideal to me. But as I said, I'm not the target customer.
    They're not opening a Target. I think it's a K-Mart. Does that make a difference????

vCash
    Never mind.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 01-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.

vCash
    If they weren't baseball friendly, they would traded Wright too and completely rebuilt this team.
    They could not afford to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    They could not afford to do that.
    Sure they could, and it would save $11M this season.

vCash
    Sure they could, and it would save $11M this season.
    Really? and how much would it cost them in tix sales and credibility?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Really? and how much would it cost them in tix sales and credibility?
    Not as much as $11M, not to mention the jump to $20M for next 4 years or so.

vCash
    Its a credibility issue. He can't embarrass MLB....and letting your franchise's two best players in the past 20 years walk in back to back years would be horrifying.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Selig handed down that mandate through Alderson.

-Stork

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast