Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Long term the Mets are in better shape since our lower minors is strong and our core is likely to be established.

The Wilpons aren't helping the Mets with SNY right now because we are rebuilding and punting 2013.

That makes no sense at all. The baseball team is carrying debt it cannot service, that has nothing to do with rebuilding and punting, were they really intent on funding the baseball team with SNY money, they'd be paying down Mets debt.

Punting 2013 or not punting 2013 makes no difference, long-term the Mets issue is debt they cannot pay. They still cannot pay it. and SNY is making money hand over fist. Yet the Coupons are not helping the Mets out at all.

I'm telling you now if you expect the Coupons to funnel money in from SNY to build you a dream team that will dominate baseball the you are in for a massive disappointment.

Coupon will fill you in much better than I can about how the two businesses and their owners operate.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-05-2013 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    That makes no sense at all. The baseball team is carrying debt it cannot service, that has nothing to do with rebuilding and punting, were they really intent on funding the baseball team with SNY money, they'd be paying down Mets debt.
    They just got that extra money from their refinancing yesterday...

Who knows what they do with it?

They could use to pay down their debt, use it as working capital, hold on to it against further losses or invest some of it into the team.

I am sure that money will be spread around in all those areas.

Nobody is naive enough to believe that most of that money will be used to protect the Wilpons themselves but there should be money to add talent to a 40 million dollar roster in 2014.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-05-2013 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

They could use to pay down their debt, use it as working capital, hold on to it against further losses or invest some of it into the team.

Re-financing, WOW.

I bet next to nothing ever sees the baseball diamond out of that $160M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

Nobody is naive enough to believe that most of that money will be used to protect the Wilpons themselves but there should be money to add talent to a 40 million dollar roster in 2014.

It's not a $40M roster though, it's $33M on two players.

vCash

Punting 2013 or not punting 2013 makes no difference, long-term the Mets issue is debt they cannot pay. They still cannot pay it. and SNY is making money hand over fist. Yet the Coupons are not helping the Mets out at all.

I'm telling you now if you expect the Coupons to funnel money in from SNY to build you a dream team that will dominate baseball the you are in for a massive disappointment.

Coupon will fill you in much better than I can about how the two businesses and their owners operate.
    What do you expect their payroll number to be in 2014?

vCash
    It's not a $40M roster though, it's $33M on two players.
    $25M on Wright and Niese in guaranteed contracts. Around $40M total from minimum salary guys and arbitration raises.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 01-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Not yet. They will eventually, whether that's 2014, 2015, 2016, etc.

Coupon mentions the new mall apart of the Wilets Point project, there will be incentive for the Mets to spend so they get more interest in the team(more revenue)
    My opinion is when the mall's about to open they'll spend whatever it takes to convince those fans desperately eager to be convinced that they're fielding a contender.

That doesn't mean they'll field a real contender.

From reading this board it's obvious many will go to great lengths to convince themselves things aren't as they are. The Wilpons will take advantage of this to spend as little as possible.

Another thing to consider is the Willets Point business owners have solid legal grounds to derail the whole land grab. Also the Wilpons use of the remaining City owned parking lots to build a real estate development for personal profit is basically illegal. The whole scheme, which is why Wilpon stole the team from Doubleday to begin with, is unlikely to move forward without challenges. It could take a long time or never fully happen.

It's not a given they'll open the checkbook by 2016. If they do, I still wouldn't expect an honest effort to build the best team possible. That's not who these owners are. A major reason regional sports networks were invented was so big market teams could shield their T.V. money from revenue sharing. The Wilpons are innovators. They're the first owners with a RSN to put most of the T.V. money in their pockets and tell fans they can't spend because the team doesn't make money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    My opinion is when the mall's about to open they'll spend whatever it takes to convince those fans desperately eager to be convinced that they're fielding a contender.

That doesn't mean they'll field a real contender.

From reading this board it's obvious many will go to great lengths to convince themselves things aren't as they are. The Wilpons will take advantage of this to spend as little as possible.

Another thing to consider is the Willets Point business owners have solid legal grounds to derail the whole land grab. Also the Wilpons use of the remaining City owned parking lots to build a real estate development for personal profit is basically illegal. The whole scheme, which is why Wilpon stole the team from Doubleday to begin with, is unlikely to move forward without challenges. It could take a long time or never fully happen.

It's not a given they'll open the checkbook by 2016. If they do, I still wouldn't expect an honest effort to build the best team possible. That's not who these owners are. A major reason regional sports networks were invented was so big market teams could shield their T.V. money from revenue sharing. The Wilpons are innovators. They're the first owners with a RSN to put most of the T.V. money in their pockets and tell fans they can't spend because the team doesn't make money.
    This is getting a little too complicated for me. It's easier to understand Keith Hernandez'z official scoring system.

How far do we go with this???? Did Freddie somehow force the Dodgers and Giants to move to California fifty years ago so he could snatch a new team. Then he got Robert Moses to build a ballpark at the same time and place as the Worlds Fair opened and forced the city to add new subway cars thereby supporting the team and stadium into the future.

And how did Freddie manage to get rid of the eyesore Serval Zipper factory you could always see just past center field. I bet he had the Serval family offed or moved to Area 51.

Is that what happened????

When do pitchers and catchers report????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    This is getting a little too complicated for me. It's easier to understand Keith Hernandez'z official scoring system.

How far do we go with this???? Did Freddie somehow force the Dodgers and Giants to move to California fifty years ago so he could snatch a new team. Then he got Robert Moses to build a ballpark at the same time and place as the Worlds Fair opened and forced the city to add new subway cars thereby supporting the team and stadium into the future.

And how did Freddie manage to get rid of the eyesore Serval Zipper factory you could always see just past center field. I bet he had the Serval family offed or moved to Area 51.

Is that what happened????

When do pitchers and catchers report????
    Fred first publicly floated the idea of grabbing all that land about 20 years ago. That's been his goal all along. That's why the new stadium was built right on 126th street.

Why do you think he stole the team from Doubleday? Because he loves baseball, or to get a subsidized, multi-billion dollar development on a half-billion dollars worth of free land?

It's pretty simple.

As for the Serval Zipper building, it's a U-Haul now, and it's still there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Fred first publicly floated the idea of grabbing all that land about 20 years ago. That's been his goal all along. That's why the new stadium was built right on 126th street.

Why do you think he stole the team from Doubleday? Because he loves baseball, or to get a subsidized, multi-billion dollar development on a half-billion dollars worth of free land?

It's pretty simple.

As for the Serval Zipper building, it's a U-Haul now, and it's still there.
    Any idea as to what happened to the Serval family????

vCash
    I'm not sure I buy the notion that the mall opening will spur investment in the team. I understand how increased stadium traffic can benefit bars and restaurants but I don't see fans combining a trip to the park with patronizing retail stores. But I'm not an expert in retail nor much of a shopper so what do do I know.

vCash
    So Marty McFly is your guys' "Spend for the sake of spending, I don't care on who" guy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    So Marty McFly is your guys' "Spend for the sake of spending, I don't care on who" guy?
    Nah he brings certain rational points to the table.

We don't want to admit it, maybe out of pure optimism and blind hope, but there is always the possibility that this team continues down this direction of not spending significant money to improve the roster like he mentioned and that this will be a much longer term recovery process then we hope for.

Sandy Alderson was associated with this type of philosophy when he was hired, a lot of people had reservations about bringing in a GM with a "Moneyball" mindset. I still think SA knows talent, especially young talent, when he sees it and to me you don't become the general manager of a team that goes to 3 straight WS by accident. It's just a matter of if or when the Wilpons loosen the belt straps and what Sandy does with that budget if and when they do.

We'll see what happens next offseason and the offseasons thereafter.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-05-2013 at 10:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I'm not sure I buy the notion that the mall opening will spur investment in the team. I understand how increased stadium traffic can benefit bars and restaurants but I don't see fans combining a trip to the park with patronizing retail stores. But I'm not an expert in retail nor much of a shopper so what do do I know.
    Really????

You can't see someone stopping off at the mall at Od Navy or BeBe for a pair of jeans then grabbing a few pretzels at Auntie Annies and scooting across the street for the game????

vCash
    i don't know man. i just don't what to expect now adays with mets.the wilpons always got to half *** things, and always try to save money.

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast