Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I looked at his entire year, he hit 237 in 2011 and 210 in 2010. Unfortunately, you have to look at whole season. His career BA is 247. I think it's justifiable that 2012 was an aberration.

vCash
    My perspective on Hairston is that you can make a case either way. Yes the Mets are being a bit cheap in not signing him but he's not really that great of a player.

Maybe Alderson feels that for $4 million a year, they may be better off giving some players that are here more playing time to see what they can do.

I don't care if they sign Hairston or not. He's not really a difference maker and he won't be here when the team gets better. He's a non-issue.

For all we know there's a deal in the works for a real OFer and a big chunk of $$$$ is part of the price. Let's wait and see what the final roster looks like.

I really cannot see getting excited over Hairston one way or the other,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    My perspective on Hairston is that you can make a case either way. Yes the Mets are being a bit cheap in not signing him but he's not really that great of a player.

Maybe Alderson feels that for $4 million a year, they may be better off giving some players that are here more playing time to see what they can do.

I don't care if they sign Hairston or not. He's not really a difference maker and he won't be here when the team gets better. He's a non-issue.

For all we know there's a deal in the works for a real OFer and a big chunk of $$$$ is part of the price. Let's wait and see what the final roster looks like.

I really cannot see getting excited over Hairston one way or the other,
    Pretty much this..

I mean we are talking about a guy who has a career fWAR of 7.2 over 9 seasons.

As bad as our OF is, they can't find a guy who is worth one win above replacement?
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-18-2013 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    The fact that he isn't locked up when we have numerous 4th OF'ers on this team is absurd.
    Locking up Hairston when you have numerous 4th OFers would be absurd. Right now I think Sandy is probably more interested in a starting outfielder.

If nothing works out there, and the best he can do is to give Scott Hairston regular playing time, then maybe then he'll sign him for one year. But no point in settling on Scott Hairston as a starting outfielder in mid-January.

vCash
    I was just watching MLB Network and Jon Heyman was on. Vasgersian asked him flat out about the Mets with Upton, and he said that the Mets are pursuing him, but they are also in on Bourn. The problems though are mostly the draft pick compensation, and to a lesser extent, money. I thought that was kind of interesting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Locking up Hairston when you have numerous 4th OFers would be absurd. Right now I think Sandy is probably more interested in a starting outfielder.

If nothing works out there, and the best he can do is to give Scott Hairston regular playing time, then maybe then he'll sign him for one year. But no point in settling on Scott Hairston as a starting outfielder in mid-January.
    This reminds me of a time when i went into a fast food restaurant and was given the choice of three drink sizes:

Medium, Large, and Extra Large.

No.

The three choices were small, medium, and large, regardless of the size of the smallest option.

In the case of the Mets outfield, Scott Hairston is in fact a starting outfielder by virtue of him being better than anyone else they have. He's better than Lucas Duda, he's better than Capt Kirk (offensively anyway) and he's better than Mike Baxter although Baxter comes in close at number 2.

Scott Hairston doesn't become a 4th outfielder until you find three outfielders who can hit better. Let me know when they sign the first guy who hits better. Then I'll wait around for the next two.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    I was just watching MLB Network and Jon Heyman was on. Vasgersian asked him flat out about the Mets with Upton, and he said that the Mets are pursuing him, but they are also in on Bourn. The problems though are mostly the draft pick compensation, and to a lesser extent, money. I thought that was kind of interesting
    Nice to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This reminds me of a time when i went into a fast food restaurant and was given the choice of three drink sizes:

Medium, Large, and Extra Large.

No.

The three choices were small, medium, and large, regardless of the size of the smallest option.

In the case of the Mets outfield, Scott Hairston is in fact a starting outfielder by virtue of him being better than anyone else they have. He's better than Lucas Duda, he's better than Capt Kirk (offensively anyway) and he's better than Mike Baxter although Baxter comes in close at number 2.

Scott Hairston doesn't become a 4th outfielder until you find three outfielders who can hit better. Let me know when they sign the first guy who hits better. Then I'll wait around for the next two.
    And that doesn't make Hairston a better player than he actually is.

The guy is a 4th OFer coming off a career season. As much as I want the Mets to get a real starting OFer, can we all take a step off the ledge and not bash Sandy for failing to jump at the chance to give Hairston money?

I'll criticize Alderson when I think it is fair. The Hairston issue is a non-issue right now.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    And that doesn't make Hairston a better player than he actually is.

The guy is a 4th OFer coming off a career season. As much as I want the Mets to get a real starting OFer, can we all take a step off the ledge and not bash Sandy for failing to jump at the chance to give Hairston money?

I'll criticize Alderson when I think it is fair. The Hairston issue is a non-issue right now.
    So here's my question: If we're not going to pay Hairston 2/8, is there anyone we'll sign to a major league contract?

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    I'd rather not sign Hairston because he established even in a career year, he has no trade value. But, perhaps, younger players may establish trade value if given a chance. And, they may surprise and one may prove to be a starting OFer.

In the long-run, the Mets won't be worse off by not signing Hairston and maybe better off by giving young players an opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    I'd rather not sign Hairston because he established even in a career year, he has no trade value. But, perhaps, younger players may establish trade value if given a chance. And, they may surprise and one may prove to be a starting OFer.

In the long-run, the Mets won't be worse off by not signing Hairston and maybe better off by giving young players an opportunity.
    I think Hairston fits into the unique category of MCPH (More Costly Place Holder). The young guys of which you speak aren't ready for their chance yet. If they were, we wouldnt be talking about Duda, Baxter, and Nieuenhuis. But signing Hairston to a two year deal he wouldn't be impeding anyone's progress and he's someone who can produce NOW.

But here's what's eating at me: 2/8 for a veteran of Hairston's ability is very reasonable. So if you dont want to invest $8 million in Hairston, who then?

Or maybe we spend the money on no one and start a pool on how bad the Mets will be this year?

vCash
    It is starting to become hard to figure out what day it is in this forum.

Anyways it seems like it is starting to turn into should we just sign Hairston because it would be a major league contract and he is better than what we have. So let just sign him because he is 2 years at 8 million.

That is ridiculous.

It all comes down to playing time. The guy can't hit right handed pitching. So that in turn makes him a 4th OF. If they would rather see someone else in that role since Hairston makes no difference than there should be no problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post

Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    It is starting to become hard to figure out what day it is in this forum.

Anyways it seems like it is starting to turn into should we just sign Hairston because it would be a major league contract and he is better than what we have. So let just sign him because he is 2 years at 8 million.

That is ridiculous.

It all comes down to playing time. The guy can't hit right handed pitching. So that in turn makes him a 4th OF. If they would rather see someone else in that role since Hairston makes no difference than there should be no problem.
    Yeah, he can't hit right handed pitching. But neither can any of the Mets other outfielders. The difference is unlike those other outfielders, he can hit left handed pitching. That makes him worth $4 mill a season on this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah, he can't hit right handed pitching. But neither can any of the Mets other outfielders. The difference is unlike those other outfielders, he can hit left handed pitching. That makes him worth $4 mill a season on this team.
    That's not true at all.

Duda career vs. RHP: .805 OPS
    Nieuwenhuis career vs. RHP: .740 OPS(better in the minors)
    Baxter career vs. RHP: .810 OPS

Hairston career vs. RHP: .704 OPS. Hairston has value to this team as a platoon outfielder, not an everyday player. He's the kind of player that you acquire when you are "fine-tuning" like Sandy said yesterday, not when you are rebuilding. It makes no sense.

So unless the Mets can get Hairston on their terms, see ya later.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast