Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 619
  1. #451
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,395
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I also understand a GM isn't going to deviate from his philosophy to appease the fans but the Mets have a much bigger problem on their hands and that's general apathy if they don't make some kind of splash soon.
    Absolutely, but they can't sign the next Jayson Bay or Ollie Perez in 2014, just to do that. The best course of action is to get the player they truly want via trade, and to extend him as necessary. Making a deal of that magnitude requires minor league depth -- which is improving. SA and ownership may be willing to hang on and tough it out until the timing is right for the team regardless of whether it is right for the impatient fans. I don't think fans should get their hopes too high that 2014 will change everything. I expect to see relevant, but intelligent, progress.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I'm glad you see that. I didn't read the rest of your post because I figured it would revert to SA bashing, and I'll stick to a point with which I agree.

    Alderson has not made any promises. He has only acknowledged that the team will be free of paying under performing players large gobs of money -- which does not mean he's going to turn around and sign more players to huge deals. SA has to build carefully and smartly. He has to build a winner on a budget. Fans that expect the Mets to shovel stupid money down the throats of players next season aren't being realistic.


    I didn't read any of your post. I rarely do, I usually just skip over to someone who has some credibility.

  3. #453
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    There's a difference between being patient and being Hamlet.

    This organization is not being patient, it is not going ham, it is going Hamlet.

    To stick with the literary theme, this 'rebuild' puts me in mind of 'Waiting for Godot'.

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Signing your best hitting outfielder to a 2-year, $8 million contract hardly qualifies as "stupid money."

    That's pretty much a nothing deal. Or should be.

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,395
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I didn't read any of your post. I rarely do, I usually just skip over to someone who has some credibility.
    Let's not do lunch today afterall.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Let's not do lunch today afterall.
    I really would prefer it if you didn't reply to me at all, it would save us both time. I have no interest in anything you have to say as you're not credible in my eyes, I argue with almost everyone on this board, but you're the only person with a clear agenda, that of Mets defense at all costs in every single situation and scenario.

    I don't want to get into a fight, so respectfully please stop trying to engage me. I have no interest in talking with you.

    I can't be more any straightforward and honest with you than that.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,395
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I really would prefer it if you didn't reply to me at all, it would save us both time. I have no interest in anything you have to say as you're not credible in my eyes, I argue with almost everyone on this board, but you're the only person with a clear agenda, that of Mets defense at all costs in every single situation and scenario.

    I don't want to get into a fight, so respectfully please stop trying to engage me. I have no interest in talking with you.

    I can't be more any straightforward and honest with you than that.
    You only want to engage people that agree with your perspective?

    You do not want to answer opinions that challenge your perspective? By accepting and meeting challenges head on, you can -- potentially -- dismiss contradictory opinions and establish that yours are valid.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,871
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    You only want to engage people that agree with your perspective?

    You do not want to answer opinions that challenge your perspective? By accepting and meeting challenges head on, you can -- potentially -- dismiss contradictory opinions and establish that yours are valid.
    With all due respect, it's kind of hard to find justification for their passing on a lousy 2-year-deal for Scott Hairston. I get that the team is more concerned about the future than the present. I get that and I applaud it.

    But it's one thing to (presumably) build for the future and quite another to completely ignore the present which it seems Sandy is doing.

    So to McFly's point, if Sandy is ignoring the present now, what makes you think he's not going to ignore the present in the future?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 01-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    You only want to engage people that agree with your perspective?

    You do not want to answer opinions that challenge your perspective? By accepting and meeting challenges head on, you can -- potentially -- dismiss contradictory opinions and establish that yours are valid.

    I argue with virtually everyone on here, so I'm not sure how you can argue I only want to talk to people who see things my way. Hardly anyone sees things my way. I have recently argued, ys28, metsown69, FOC, Clay amongst others.

    However, I have no interest in talking to you, as you have a clear agenda. You have no credibility whatsoever in my opinion.

    You can try and dress up your act with as much flowery language as you like, it does not fool me.

    Now, I will ask you again to refrain from bothering me.

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beacon, Ny.
    Posts
    1,837
    vCash
    1500
    SA will baffle those who question not signing Hairston at 2yr/8mil.

    The market is not huge for Hairston as most teams see him as a Bench/DH player on their roster. But, in the NY Mets case, he would most likely be a starting option. Hairston wants to re-sign with the Mets, and Alderson is holding out until the deal is on his terms and not Hairston. I do believe a 1-year contract will get Hairston, and if not it will be a 2yr/5-6 mill rather than 8 mil.

    ... Aside from that, I do agree with points made that a 2yr/8mil contract shouldn't deter SA from signing Hairston. The fact that he isn't locked up when we have numerous 4th OF'ers on this team is absurd. But Alderson will play the waiting game and hopefully it ends up with the best possible outcome for this team.
    #oneatatime

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,871
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    SA will baffle those who question not signing Hairston at 2yr/8mil.

    The market is not huge for Hairston as most teams see him as a Bench/DH player on their roster. But, in the NY Mets case, he would most likely be a starting option. Hairston wants to re-sign with the Mets, and Alderson is holding out until the deal is on his terms and not Hairston. I do believe a 1-year contract will get Hairston, and if not it will be a 2yr/5-6 mill rather than 8 mil.

    ... Aside from that, I do agree with points made that a 2yr/8mil contract shouldn't deter SA from signing Hairston. The fact that he isn't locked up when we have numerous 4th OF'ers on this team is absurd. But Alderson will play the waiting game and hopefully it ends up with the best possible outcome for this team.
    Scott Hairston would be the only right handed power hitter on the entire team other than David Wright. Alderson can't afford to lose him for 2 or 3 million. I understood not wanting to sign him for 3 years. But now he's asking for a very reasonable contract.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beacon, Ny.
    Posts
    1,837
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Scott Hairston would be the only right handed power hitter on the entire team other than David Wright. Alderson can't afford to lose him for 2 or 3 million. I understood not wanting to sign him for 3 years. But now he's asking for a very reasonable contract.
    I agree, I think it would be an utter disgrace to lose Hairston over 2-3 million. But SA must know the market is very thin for Hairston, and is playing it his way. I just hope he's got a trick or two up his sleeve to upgrade this OF before Spring Training
    #oneatatime

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,395
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    However, I have no interest in talking to you, as you have a clear agenda. You have no credibility whatsoever in my opinion...

    Now, I will ask you again to refrain from bothering me.
    Why have you been responding to my posts? The choice is yours to read, and respond.

    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    I agree, I think it would be an utter disgrace to lose Hairston over 2-3 million. But SA must know the market is very thin for Hairston, and is playing it his way. I just hope he's got a trick or two up his sleeve to upgrade this OF before Spring Training
    SA still needs to sign a starting pitcher, possibly a reliever, and he may not yet know what numbers were submitted to the judge for players filing arbitration, Murphy, Davis, and ...? I forgot. He may gain or lose one million to work with depending on the outcomes.

    It's in his best interests atm to pay as little as possible for SH.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    307
    vCash
    1500
    The question with Scott Hairston is whether his 2012 was an aberration. I do remember 2011. He was terrible. Signing him to a 2-year deal is madness. The years, he had in 2010 and 2011 do not justify giving him a 2-year. If 2012 is an aberration and he performs like the two previous years, he is not the best hitter available. The only justification for giving him a two-year deal is if you expect him to repeat 2012 which I don't. I would stay away from Hairston if 2012 is a fluke.

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,871
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    The question with Scott Hairston is whether his 2012 was an aberration. I do remember 2011. He was terrible. Signing him to a 2-year deal is madness. The years, he had in 2010 and 2011 do not justify giving him a 2-year. If 2012 is an aberration and he performs like the two previous years, he is not the best hitter available. The only justification for giving him a two-year deal is if you expect him to repeat 2012 which I don't. I would stay away from Hairston if 2012 is a fluke.
    Recheck your memory or recheck the record books at www.baseballreference.com.

    Because you're wrong. Hairston was horrible, absolutely horrendous in the first month to 6 weeks of 2011. Then he raked the rest of the year and pretty much all of last year. Personally I think PEDs might be involved. It's my only explanation for his dramatic turnaround after that pathetic beginning.

    But assuming the turnaround was legit, there's no reason to believe he wont still hit with power against left handed pitching for at least the next two seasons.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •