Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yes but again Bourn is a complimentary piece whereas Upton can be a potential cornerstone piece.

If Upton reaches his potential, he is a 30-100 guy with 20 steals, .850-.900 OPS, and a plus defender for at least the length of the rest of this contract possibly longer.

He has that type of ability.

I'm tired of hearing about comp and core pieces we had a great core and did nothing.

I don't think Upton will ever reach that potential. 2 bad seasons from 3 in a hitters park does not smell of a perennial AS type player to me.

I have to question any player who does not want the bright lights of NYY and Fenway park.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'm tired of hearing about comp and core pieces we had a great core and did nothing.

I don't think Upton will ever reach that potential. 2 bad seasons from 3 in a hitters park does not smell of a perennial AS type player to me.

I have to question any player who does not want the bright lights of NYY and Fenway park.
    As much as i love the idea of us going out there and adding players in FA this year and next year (Bourn, Hart, Prado, etc etc) there is and probably will be nobody on the market in the near future with Upton's ability.

You are the one saying they need game changing players especially in the OF. He can be that and for a guy who came up at 20 years old (when 99.9% of prospective major leaguers are playing A, AA ball, or are still looking to be drafted out of college) his career resume is still pretty good to this point.

This is a buy low point for him too considering he is coming off a bad season where he was injured.

So if he is out there and the Mets don't have to gut their farm system or trade away too many major league pieces to get him then they should certainly pull the trigger.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.

vCash
    I can see Upton flopping here, this isn't Arizona it's NY, the park is much bigger and he has not delivered often enough.

vCash
    The park is actually not bigger, just the atmosphere is different. But Upton has got so much raw power and bat speed that it doesn't matter where he plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    The park is actually not bigger, just the atmosphere is different. But Upton has got so much raw power and bat speed that it doesn't matter where he plays.
    I disagree, playing here will affect his numbers. It's folly to think otherwise.

vCash
    Not by much. When he gets a hold of one, it's GONE.

vCash
    Not by much. When he gets a hold of one, it's GONE.

And yet, in a hitters park he manages barely 20 a year...

Ike Davis hit 32 homers last year in Citi with VF and 3 awful months, in Citi...

You keep talking about talent, but where's the production?

I think we can spend $15M a year and a lot of top prospects better than Justin Upton.

vCash
    This was posted by SFrush90 in another thread.

Justin Upton:
    2012- Above average hitter (.341 wOBA)
    2011- Great hitter (.385 wOBA)
    2010- Above average hitter (.349 wOBA)
    2009- Great hitter (.385 wOBA)

vCash
    Imagining such a trade is just dreaming a fantasy.. Could you imagine the Mets OF in 2014 if they signed Ellsbury in '14...

Ellsbury
    Tejada
    Wright
    Davis
    Upton
    d'Arnaud
    Murphy
    Duda/Kirk/Cowgil

Harvey
    Niese
    Gee
    Wheeler
    5th

wow.
    #oneatatime

vCash

Mets 'balk' at OF Scott Hairston's $8 million asking price

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...n-asking-price

Free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston requested a two-year, $8-million contract from the New York Mets, at which the team balked, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.

Heyman also reports that the Yankees are not in discussions with Hairston, 32, but the Cubs have talked with the free agent.

Hairston hit .263/.299/.504 with 20 home runs in 398 plate appearances for the Mets in 2012. His line jumps to .286/.317/.550 against lefties in 2012, against whom he made half of his plate appearances.

For more up-to-the-minute news and analysis on the latest rumors from bloggers Chris Cwik, Jack Moore and R.J. White, follow @MLBRumorsCBS.

That's not a very high asking price. Oh, well. "Mets may be done adding in outfield".

Or in Alderson's words "Outfield? What outfield?"

I don't find the organization's contempt for the customers as funny as he does.

vCash
    I can understand the Mets balking at that offer.

They are waiting out the market hoping he takes a one year deal and the longer he goes without signing this offseason the more likely that happens.

Sandy Alderson has been through the ringer once or twice, he knows how this works.

I would rather them commit to Hairston for one year anyway, i don't think at 32 years old coming off a career year he ever duplicates last year's success again. They should be in one year mode with certain FA because guys like Hairston aren't worth multiple years and he could end up being a glorified bench player at 34 years old in 2014.

Save that money if they plan on spending on picking up a better OF for multiple years next offseason or on Michael Bourn this offseason if the right deal falls into place.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-16-2013 at 01:15 AM.

vCash
    Holy crap though, is it such a disaster to be on the hook for $4m next year? I mean really, is that such a big deal, when you're bargaining from the position of having a humiliating outfield?

vCash
    The more and more the off-season plays out, the less and less I want to see Hairston back. Even in a "career year," he still had a sub-.300 OBP.

vCash
    The more and more the off-season plays out, the less and less I want to see Hairston back. Even in a "career year," he still had a sub-.300 OBP.
    This..

vCash
    He had power at least. We have NO power in the outfield besides Duda who as far as I'm concerned, can't be benched soon enough.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast