Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Rubin: Mets may be done adding in outfield

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...ty=newyork&wjb

I don't believe there's even a proven fourth outfielder on the roster.

What you see is what you get. It should be obvious by now, but some here still believe this is a conventional organization that values winning and makes a real effort.

As usual, I expect plenty of excuses for ownership.

Let's see..

vCash
    This is all speculation on the part of Rubin..

In the article it says that Alderson has not been fielding any calls or answering media's questions on potential outfield moves. Now... yes this could mean he has no next move, but this could also mean he's just not playing into the media at this point.

There is still too much time in the offseason to believe this rumor.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Wow...Just WOW, We haven't addressed any of our needs at the ML level thus far and we've actually become WORSE by trading our best pitcher...Sandy was right We're NOT punting 2013...we're FORFEITING!

vCash
    Chill out guys.... what available OFer's do u think he should spend on? He made a great trade to get us two very good prospects. We have to rebuild.

The last several yrs haven't worked. Time to rebuild and there's no one available right now that would help us contend for a WS in the next yr or even two so what's the point of wasting the money? I know he says we aren't punting the 2013 season but sure we probably are, but he can't say that..... realistically we won't compete until 2015 at the earliest. Maybe after next yr we'll sign someone who can help from 2014-2018 at least...

No sense is signing a guy now for a couple yrs, just to still not come close to the playoffs and by the time we're ready to contend, that guy is gone anyway.

Just suck it up and deal with the fact that we're gonna suck for another yr or two, and hope our young guys turn out good, then we can sign MLB players to add to the team. Now's not the time.

Just enjoy watching guys like Harvey, Wheeler, and d'Arnaud develop.... plus the emergence of Ike hopefully of Ike.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 01-04-2013 at 09:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Chill out guys.... what available OFer's do u think he should spend on? He made a great trade to get us two very good prospects. We have to rebuild.

The last several yrs haven't worked. Time to rebuild and there's no one available right now that would help us contend for a WS in the next yr or even two so what's the point of wasting the money? I know he says we aren't punting the 2013 season but sure we probably are, but he can't say that..... realistically we won't compete until 2015 at the earliest.
    Don't...don't even dare put a date on when. Because all it does is increase, and it looks like a fools errand to believe. You are correct. The team is in a rebuilding mode, and that means no wasting money, until a new core is found (which the Mets have yet to do). That is all you need to say, putting a date on it, especially one that keeps increasing when it doesn't look like it will come to pass puts out a false hope.

This team will be rebuilt when it is rebuilt. There is no deadline, and no date to look forward to.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Good, there's no one worth spending on, and I don't think now is the appropriate time to be trading good prospects for outfielders either. We need to see the development of Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, Gee, Davis, etc first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Good, there's no one worth spending on, and I don't think now is the appropriate time to be trading good prospects for outfielders either. We need to see the development of Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, Gee, Davis, etc first.
    The Mets could have signed Cody Ross, Ryan Luwick, Juan Pierre and many others who are better than anyone the Mets have now without forfeiting a draft pick and well within the $20-$30 million in payroll they've reduced this year.

Why exactly would this be a bad thing?

Why do we need to see the development of Harvey, Wheeler, D'Arnaud, Gee, Davis, etc. first? If they continue to develop they'll need the help. If not how does that justify putting out the worst team possible?

Remember, the Mets raised ticket prices again this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    The Mets could have signed Cody Ross, Ryan Luwick, Juan Pierre and many others who are better than anyone the Mets have now without forfeiting a draft pick and well within the $20-$30 million in payroll they've reduced this year.

Why do we need to see the development of Harvey, Wheeler, D'Arnaud, Gee, Davis, etc. first? If they continue to develop they'll need the help. If not how does that justify putting out the worst team possible?

Signing Ludwick a 34-year old OFer to a 2+1 year deal is a smart move? Ross also got a 3-year deal. Pierre may have been a smart move, absolutely, but SA apparently wasn't interested. I'm sure he had a reason.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Signing Ludwick a 34-year old OFer to a 2+1 year deal is a smart move? Ross also got a 3-year deal. Pierre may have been a smart move, absolutely, but SA apparently wasn't interested. I'm sure he had a reason.
    You can always always find a reason to do nothing, that's easy. That's what the Mets have been doing for the last 3-4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    You can always always find a reason to do nothing, that's easy. That's what the Mets have been doing for the last 3-4 years.
    Do you agree not signing Ludwick to a 2+ 1 deal was a good decision? Ludwick had a nice year in 2012, but year to year he isn't a model of consistency, and how would his numbers translate to 81 games at Citi Field versus Great American Ball Park?

What about not signing Cody Ross to a three year deal? Would you have signed him?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    It's official, the Mets have the worst outfield in Major League Baseball. We can probably argue that some franchise's AAA outfields are better than the Mets'.

vCash
    I don't know why I keep hearing there is interest from the Mets on Bourn. Let's put it like this, they won't offer him a multi year deal worth God only knows how much with Boras negotiating and even if they would be able to get him on a one year deal is it worth surrendering a first round pick for? IMO NO.

vCash

Reall ? Why waste money on Ross and Ludwick when they still wouldn't get us into the playoffs. We aren't two mediocre OFers away. Plus, they aren't worth what they got .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Reall ? Why waste money on Ross and Ludwick when they still wouldn't get us into the playoffs. We aren't two mediocre OFers away. Plus, they aren't worth what they got .
    You're saying if a team isn't a good bet for the playoffs why bother trying at all.

I say, why not?

The team charges a lot for tickets. They should put some of that money back into payroll so fans won't have to watch a team where a third of the lineup is a black hole. Why not?

Plus one 1 out of 3 teams makes the playoffs, and once there anything can happen. The Giants and Cardinals of the past couple years weren't very good, but they're World Champions.

Funny thing is the same people who defend ownership not spending a cent are usually the ones predicting stardom for the prospects. If they're so good, why not fill some holes? Maybe the team will surprise everyone.

vCash
    You're saying if a team isn't a good bet for the playoffs why bother trying at all.

I say, why not?

The team charges a lot for tickets. They should put some of that money back into payroll so fans won't have to watch a team where a third of the lineup is a black hole. Why not?

Plus one 1 out of 3 teams makes the playoffs, and once there anything can happen. The Giants and Cardinals of the past couple years weren't very good, but they're World Champions.

Funny thing is the same people who defend ownership not spending a cent are usually the ones predicting stardom for the prospects. If they're so good, why not fill some holes? Maybe the team will surprise everyone.
    I dont know how you can say the Giants and the Cardinals weren't very good the last 2 years. They still won 90 and 94 games respectively, that's a lot better showing than the Mets have put out there the last 2 years and with significantly better rosters in the process (and before you mention the Cardinals making it because the Braves choked, the Cardinals had an excellent September that got them into the playoffs)

If this team was an 85 win team last year needing OF help and doing nothing then yeah i would be mad at passing up on Ludwick and Ross even if they were overpaid.

But this team is not, they are a mid 70s win team, which puts them significantly behind those 2 teams you mentioned.

This is the same argument over and over, i think you would even admit they won't run around with a 35-40 million dollar payroll in 2014. All the more reason why they should be better in 2014 than 2013. Wheeler, Harvey, D'Arnaud, etc etc, having an impact on this team with the ability to add players in FA.

Punting 2013 sucks but they are rebuilding, that's what rebuilding teams do.

They just tend not to have as angry a fan base about it when doing it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast