Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets resume trade talks for Diamondbacks' Justin Upton(post 36)

to Seattle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...o-mariners.ap/

Arizona has been saying that they weren't looking to move him. I guess we know better now. This doesn't seem like a prohibitive haul either. I don't know much about the prospects, but i think we could match without losing our top guys. Can we?

If not, what does this do for the price of Kubel?

vCash
    Here we go again. Now what deal would you rather make: Upton and his current contract for 3 players (Niese and 2 top prospects) or Bourne and his new deal (given its within reason) for a 1st round pick which is uncertain to reach the majors.

Uptons deal would seriously deplete any team not balanced (well stocked) in minor league prospects. The 2013 Mets will keep the prospects and just move forward.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Upton wants a renegotiated contract.

vCash
    I would make the Upton deal if it wasn't Niese included or if it was Niese and lesser prospects. Here is why, Bourn's game is based primarily on speed. Speed is the first tool to go. Bourne is 30. He wants to get paid and get paid for awhile and that isn't going to work. Upton is 25 and already signed to a deal for 3 more years. That means you have ample time to see if improves on what are already great skills. He is moving into his prime, not out of it.

This deal wouldn't cost the Mets a ton of money. It will cost some prospects, but we have to at least kick the tires and see who they want. I really would like someone who knows to fill me in on what level of prospects these guys were that Seattle was offering.

You are right with the "here we go again" statement. We have discussed this before, but some with the wrong perspective. Trading for Upton isn't a sacrifice for the future to win a few more games this year kind of move. Trading for him would be a move for the future. Let him get comfortable in Citi in a year we know we are going to suck while filling a huge hole in the OF for the future. Upton is a borderline star who is still under contract for 3 years. Having Upton set at RF makes it a lot easier to fill LF and CF next off-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    Upton wants a renegotiated contract.
    He can want until his head is on fire, It doesn't men he gets it. His no trade clause is for a limited number of cities. I don't think, but don't know, that NY is one of them.

Trade for him and tell him, "you are in our plans for the future. Play this year under the current deal and we will negotiate next off season." Hopefully, that would provide him with the incentive to succeed. Either way, the Mets know what they have after this season and can make or not make a deal accordingly.

vCash
    No to Upton. You're paying him to dollar and clearing the farm out, spend some money in FA.

Senseless.

vCash
    I say leave both alone at this present time. Arizona isn't giving Upton away. The top of our farm system is not in a position to make a deal for Upton.

As far as Bourne goes I will never have any desire for him to play on this team for his asking price plus the idea of giving up a 1st round pick to the Braves.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Only way I would think about trading Niese for Upton is if it was straight up.

Not the time to give up prospects.

vCash
    We have enough up and coming pitching to let niese and a few others go in a trade for Upton
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    No to Upton. You're paying him to dollar and clearing the farm out, spend some money in FA.

Senseless.
    For who?

Remember, you have to give me 3 names unless you think Duda, Kirk, or some other prospect is good enough. We need 3 OFs. Start building for the future now by adding a proven young player under contract.

As far as Niese goes, I like him, but you trade a number 3 starter for an everyday +OF any day of the week if you ask me.

vCash
    If Niese,Flores and a lesser prospect gets it done I would do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    If Niese,Flores and a lesser prospect gets it done I would do it.
    That is what I am saying. Deal from strength to fill a need.

vCash
    I honestly think Upton can fall into the Mets hands assuming a lot of variables fall into the right place.

He rejected Seattle, Texas is backing out, and I doubt ARZ will get as good a package as SEA was offering.

After the news that a deal was reached, it is almost inevitable that Upton will be moved.

It is also confirmed Sandy is interested.

ARZ is looking for MLB ready pitching as well as SS.

If I'm Sandy I offer Gee + Fulmer/Syndergaard + Tejada + low level prospect and see if ARZ bites.

vCash
    What's with these offers u guys are throwing out there? Do u know how good that package SEA was giving up was?

Taijuan Walker is a higher ranked SP prospect than Wheeler, or at least close to equal, plus Pryor is a good flame throwing RP, probably better than Parnell. Nick Franklin is a good SS prospect, plus they were giving Furbush too.

To match that, we'd have to offer something close to Wheeler, Parnell, Tejada, and maybe Gee, or maybe they settle for Tapia or Montero instead of Gee.

Stop with the cheap *** proposals. It's not happening for someone with Uptons talent. If he could be had for only Niese and lower prospects, it'd be done by now.

At this point we shouldn't trade for him cuz he'd clear the farm that we just restocked. If we were close to competing it might make more sense.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    I honestly think Upton can fall into the Mets hands assuming a lot of variables fall into the right place.

He rejected Seattle, Texas is backing out, and I doubt ARZ will get as good a package as SEA was offering.

After the news that a deal was reached, it is almost inevitable that Upton will be moved.

It is also confirmed Sandy is interested.

ARZ is looking for MLB ready pitching as well as SS.

If I'm Sandy I offer Gee + Fulmer/Syndergaard + Tejada + low level prospect and see if ARZ bites.
    I agree. However, offering Tejada opens a hole that we can't fill. We don't have an MLB ready SS. Not sure they take Gee though. Niese, Mejia, and a lower level 2B or SS?

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast