Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rckdude1 View Post
    It would be awesome to have Lynch. But him not pulling the trigger there didn't upset me after we won the Super Bowl. What if we did trade for him that year and for some reason that threw off the chemistry of the team and a couple plays leads to us not being champs. It sounds crazy but nobody ever really looked at that situation in that light.
    That's exactly how I feel. I was pretty mad when he didn't trade for him. But we obviously didn't need him to win a Super Bowl, and to me winning that completely nullified that deal that didn't happen.
    Last edited by BlinkManJan02; 01-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flodapack View Post
    Big differance between Flynn & Jennings. Flynn getting tagged would have cost an outragous amount of money for a maybe never needed backup. Jennings will get tagged if no contract agreement because he will start & the tag amount for a year will be far less than what he would get on open market & not alot more than he's getting paid this year.
    Estimated wide receiver tag for 2013 is $10.357 million. Salary cap estimated to be $121 million. You could only afford 11 players if you paid them that. They would have to play both ways!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    there is no way the NFL can prove you tag someone for the sole purpose of trading them. no team would ever lose draft picks because they broke the tag and trade rule

with that being said: we wont do it anyway
    All it would take is for the player to raise the issue. Any trade of a Franchise player is very likely to get NFL attention. The tag was set up to allow teams to keep their best players, not trade them.

vCash
    There is a reason no team has ever been in trouble for doing it. Granted it doesn't happen often but even when it has nothing has come of it. You franchise a player, Get nowhere on the contract and a team comes up and makes a great offer you cant refuse. Simple as that.

Woot I hit 100. 1k here I come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    There is a reason no team has ever been in trouble for doing it. Granted it doesn't happen often but even when it has nothing has come of it. You franchise a player, Get nowhere on the contract and a team comes up and makes a great offer you cant refuse. Simple as that.

Woot I hit 100. 1k here I come.
    When has it ever happened? If you use the franchise tag, the contract is automatically the average of the top 5 salaries at that position making the player the 3rd highest paid in the league. At wide receiver, the estimate is $10 million for 2013. Will any other teams be willing to pay Jennings more than that, highly unlikely IMO. According to this Wiki article,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

the player salary is guaranteed so he could play with the Packers for $10 mil and be a free agent next season. There is another version of the Franchise tag where the player is offered the average of the top 5 salaries at his position from the previous season and is allowed to negotiate with other teams. The Packers would get the chance to match the other teams offer or get 2 first round picks in compensation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    When has it ever happened? If you use the franchise tag, the contract is automatically the average of the top 5 salaries at that position making the player the 3rd highest paid in the league. At wide receiver, the estimate is $10 million for 2013. Will any other teams be willing to pay Jennings more than that, highly unlikely IMO. According to this Wiki article,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

the player salary is guaranteed so he could play with the Packers for $10 mil and be a free agent next season. There is another version of the Franchise tag where the player is offered the average of the top 5 salaries at his position from the previous season and is allowed to negotiate with other teams. The Packers would get the chance to match the other teams offer or get 2 first round picks in compensation.
    I believe we did it with Corey Williams. If I remember right we tagged him then like a day or two later we had a trade in place to send him to Cleveland
    HaHa Clinton-Dix

Solo Tackles: 63
    Assist Tackles: 27
    Sacks: 1
    Pass Deflects: 6
    Ints:1
    TDs:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I believe we did it with Corey Williams. If I remember right we tagged him then like a day or two later we had a trade in place to send him to Cleveland
    That was in 2008, the year the NFL opted out of the CBA so there were no provisions in place.

vCash
    We most definitely need a pass rusher and its not even funny.. We count on Matthews to do it all and we've got guys like Walden starting.. Really? Walden? Stop it.. I think we should look for a playmaking FS, but not much need there.. O-line is where i'd look for, mainly the tackle positions.. i think we could go for a good player there.. Clady wont happen, but Albert would be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rckdude1 View Post
    Why? Seriously why? Our 0-line starters are in tact and under contract. Our D-line could use depth but Raji and Pickett should be back and we have younger talent behind them and you know Teds gonna bulk up the lines anyways. receiver is stacked. I believe its almost a guarantee Jennings gets tagged (whether we tag and trade is another question but he IS getting tagged). He will draw at least a 3rd especially when Miami is sitting on 45 mil and counting in cap space. Finley will be gone leaving a hole but we have way too many tight ends to begin with. We are stacked at corner. I'm not sure what Shields contract situation is but everyone else is locked up. Safety is also stacked even without Woodson. Capers can plug almost anybody in at MLB and get production. There would be no decline if we started D.J. Smith and Brad Jones over Hawk and Bishop. We could use another pass rushing linebacker opposite Clay I'm not sold on Perry yet but you can find other pass rushers in draft if you do your homework. The only free agents we need to sign are our own before they even become free agents. Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Shields, Brad and James Jones, Cobb, Lang, EDS, Bulaga. All we be free agents within the next 5 years or so. Gotta decide who we wanna keep. Draft and develop baby.
    You seriously think our OL is intact. Even when healthy this group isn't good. Our LT and LG suck and I don't think anybody is sold on EDS at C yet.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    You seriously think our OL is intact. Even when healthy this group isn't good. Our LT and LG suck and I don't think anybody is sold on EDS at C yet.
    Lang doesn't suck. Look what he had to work with on his left and right side. Kinda felt bad for the dude actually. He isn't an all pro LG but he is pretty good.

There you go thumper

vCash
    Did you just say Lang sucks

Captain Negativity reporting for duty.

EDS seems like a stopgap to me still. I don't think he's ever much. I have faith Sherrod can hit. Possibly even Datko. People write off Datko but he was on the PS and everything, I think that's a mistake. Keep an eye on him there. He has a shot. At worst we have a borderline average LT. Probably more like borderline top 20 but yeah. It's not like he's complete horse ****.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Did you just say Lang sucks

Captain Negativity reporting for duty.

EDS seems like a stopgap to me still. I don't think he's ever much. I have faith Sherrod can hit. Possibly even Datko. People write off Datko but he was on the PS and everything, I think that's a mistake. Keep an eye on him there. He has a shot. At worst we have a borderline average LT. Probably more like borderline top 20 but yeah. It's not like he's complete horse ****.
    Why is that negative? Rodgers couldn't run his game. Our running game s a joke.

I honestly think Lang had a bad year compared to the pervious year. So sucks may be a bit aggressive term to use but I think we have plenty of room to improve there. I do know he was supposedly responsible for the most sacks on the team at eleven. Which is especially alarming considering your best pass rushers come from the outside most of the time. Granted he had a poor support around him and he did play some RT. Please read through some of these stats and our LG didn't have great stats this year.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._t05XJ8mjefqhA
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Why is that negative? Rodgers couldn't run his game. Our running game s a joke.

I honestly think Lang had a bad year compared to the pervious year. So sucks may be a bit aggressive term to use but I think we have plenty of room to improve there. I do know he was supposedly responsible for the most sacks on the team at eleven. Which is especially alarming considering your best pass rushers come from the outside most of the time. Granted he had a poor support around him and he did play some RT. Please read through some of these stats and our LG didn't have great stats this year.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._t05XJ8mjefqhA
    You still fail to realize who was playing to his left and his right. He is a lonely dude on the left side right now. Kinda hard to be a good player when they guys around you completely suck ***

There you go thumper

vCash
    Does anyone think that it's time that TT starts signing veterans? You see it every year the Pats sign older veterans who often contribute as well as stabilizing leadership. In the last 5 years they have acquired: Wes Welker, Corey Dillon, Junior Seau, Randy Moss, Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd, Trevor Scott, Steve Gregory, Aqib Talib amongst others. Why not get a few low risk high reward players?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer94 View Post
    Does anyone think that it's time that TT starts signing veterans? You see it every year the Pats sign older veterans who often contribute as well as stabilizing leadership. In the last 5 years they have acquired: Wes Welker, Corey Dillon, Junior Seau, Randy Moss, Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd, Trevor Scott, Steve Gregory, Aqib Talib amongst others. Why not get a few low risk high reward players?
    In one way, yes. In another, no. The Patriots have signed much more than those you listed. Adalius Thomas is one, Donte Stallworth they acquired in a trade and there's a whole bunch of others that I can't recall right now. And the Patriots have done very well for themselves over those years except... no Super Bowl victories.

Look at the Niners and Ravens. The Niners went out and signed two veteran free agents. One of them was a sourpuss and is no longer a part of their team and Moss has had a limited impact. I don't think the Ravens really signed anybody.

Still, adding A veteran I think would be a good idea. Jeff Saturday would have been a perfect example if he had worked out, and I think that's the type of guy we should look for. Somebody who wants to win and is therefore willing to come cheap. One guy I really want is Ed Reed, although I realize that's a pipe dream. Another guy that might not be such a pipe dream is Richard Seymour. He would solidify our line, free up our pass rush and help pretty much every problem our defense has.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast