Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I would not be opposed to trading Orakpo. I agree with Insane here, Orakpo is pretty terrible in coverage. If we were running a 4-3, this would be blasphemy. But we don't and won't in the foreseeable future. However I'd want more than a 2nd. If he has a productive year next year, but doesn't show any major strides in becoming an elite pass rusher (say he gets like 8-10 sacks) I would franchise tag him and try to get a 1st. There are new great pass rushers coming out every year that could produce at the same level as Orakpo or better.
    Last edited by matthewredskin3; 01-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewredskin3 View Post
    At this point, Cousins gives us the best opportunity to win.
    30 minutes before RG3 goes down

Let's just keep RG3 in the game. Can't move and risking furthur injury. Great call.
    One play before RG3 goes down

vCash
    Jackson has done a decent job, got himself a couple of INT's, but i'm not sure he's a better choice than Orakpo. If Rak doesn't improve significantly next year, I wouldn't mind a trade for a high pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
    I'm honestly not joking when I say trade Orakpo. I feel he's highly overrated and when it comes to coverage, which is what we need him for a lot more in the 3-4, he's terrible at.

Rob Jackson has proven he's much more reliable and cheaper. So why not try to trade Orakpo for a third rounder? Maybe 2nd if we're lucky.
    No one says hes good at coverage, so how is he overrated. Karrigan isn't good at coverage either and neither is Fletcher. Lets just get rid of all of them. They're linebackers. There are always going to struggle in coverage, thats why we have DBs. This isn't a valid reason to trade him.

Orakpo is one of our best defensive players. To trade him for a 3rd rounder is just plain stupid. Rob Jackson is not Orakpo. He does not get the constant attention that Orakpo gets on every play. Even without that attention he only had 4.5 sacks this year. Not good by any means. Thats half of the production we get from Orakpo.

If you trade Orakpo, your just going to have to use whatever pick you get on his replacement. I don't get the logic in that. Trade a known quality commodity for a completely unknown risk. Sounds like something Vinny Cerrato would do.

Everyone always complains about how we never invest in our own players. How we always are infatuated with other teams players. Your condoning that behavior by trying to trade away one of, if not our best defensive asset because you think hes overrated. Brilliant.

vCash
    Orakpo has no use in the 3-4 defense, I'm sorry. He's struggled in it and continues to do so. We got rid of most of our better D linemen who were good in the 4-3 but failed in the 3-4, I don't know why we need to hold on to Orakpo.

Your thought of me thinking he has to play perfectly is a bit flawed. I don't mind players making mistakes, it happens, but time and time again he's shown he can't do it.

Vinny Cerrato would never trade Orakpo, he'd keep him and make him the highest payed LB in the league. Orakpo isn't worth a 2nd IMO, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he should be, it's like Giants fans thinking Osi was worth a 1st.

You get what you can for Orakpo at this point and walk away smiling.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
    Orakpo has no use in the 3-4 defense, I'm sorry. He's struggled in it and continues to do so. We got rid of most of our better D linemen who were good in the 4-3 but failed in the 3-4, I don't know why we need to hold on to Orakpo.

Your thought of me thinking he has to play perfectly is a bit flawed. I don't mind players making mistakes, it happens, but time and time again he's shown he can't do it.

Vinny Cerrato would never trade Orakpo, he'd keep him and make him the highest payed LB in the league. Orakpo isn't worth a 2nd IMO, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he should be, it's like Giants fans thinking Osi was worth a 1st.

You get what you can for Orakpo at this point and walk away smiling.

You guys continue to say how terrible RAK is in coverage. Can someone please name a LB in the NFL that is best known for his coverage skills? He is a LB not a DB. If we need cover LB's to offset our deficiencies in the secondary we are in trouble.

Look at our LB core. If you watch the games Kerrigan is rarely used in pass coverage but he has struggled in his limited opportunities. Fletcher and Perry Riley definitely have had their issues in coverage. Rob Jackson has probably made the most impact plays in coverage. My point is out of the LB core nobody is head and shoulders above the group as far as pass coverage is concerned.

RAK has a total of 18.5 sacks in 33 games in the 3-4 scheme and made the Pro Bowl both years in that system. Kerrigan had 16sacks in 32 games in the 3-4. based on the numbers why is RAK's head on the chopping block?

I am more concerned with his ability to stay on the field for 16 games more than I am with his production when he is on the field.

No, I am not saying he is a HOF LB by any means at this point in his career nor would I break the bank to resign him. What I am saying is lets see what he does next season before we put him infront of a firing squad.

We have other areas that need far more attention then OLB right now. Safety has to be higher on the priority list. Madeu Williams gave it all he had and I applaud his effort, but we MUST upgrade that position.

vCash
    Never ever ever ever trade Orakpo, that's all I have to say on the matter. With a better secondary I think we'll see (even though I've argued against it) that this defense can be scary and I'm better it's going to start with the LB play. With Orakpo on one side and Kerrigan on the other that's just plain scary. Both of them are still young and still learning to refine their reads. I bet next year we will field a much better defensive unit.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I love Orakpo. But I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. And in the 3-4, the OLBs have a lot of responsibility in coverage. Orakpo and Kerrigan are in coverage all the time against tight ends and backs.
    At this point, Cousins gives us the best opportunity to win.
    30 minutes before RG3 goes down

Let's just keep RG3 in the game. Can't move and risking furthur injury. Great call.
    One play before RG3 goes down

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I love Orakpo. But I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. And in the 3-4, the OLBs have a lot of responsibility in coverage. Orakpo and Kerrigan are in coverage all the time against tight ends and backs.
    Thay don't have to be, just look at Demarcus ware. He's never in coverage, which is good thing because he cant cover anyone either

vCash
    Kerrigan was a beast when "Rak" was taking up blockers on the other side. We will not trade Orakpo.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    Let Rak play out his rookie contract. Then let him play the field and see if we want to match the competition.

vCash
    LOL as if our sack totals and holding penalties against us weren't enough proof of Orakpo's importance.

vCash
    I love Raks sacks in the NFC East.......oh yeah.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    i think with a better secondary we'll all see how much better Kerrigan and Orapko's numbers will be. they are both very solid players, lets fix what is broken first....the secondary.

we fixed the QB and WR problems and look how our offense improved. not to mention Morris....anyway, i'm just saying fix the weakest part first. we had a bad fg kicker, now we don't....if our secondary is terrible.....fix it. Hall said he'd restructure so that frees up money. lets go out and get as close as we can to a shut down corner and some safety help....and i'd love a stud RT...is that too much to ask?

vCash
    What would you want for him? Players, picks, combo? I was way against the idea of trading Cooley but looking back, maybe we should have traded him while he had value. I know it's a sin to speak like that about Captain Chaos. With Orakpo, I was just so amped when we drafted him, I remember I was standing in line at the log flume in Kings Dominion (random), I was checking my phone and I was so freaking excited that we actually got him.

vCash
    With a lack of first round drafts picks the next few years, I would listen to offers on Orackpo. However, if nothing suits what we should get for him, then keep him, franchise him/resign him. Also concerning our lack of draft picks, what are we going to do come April? Are we going to try to trade some of our picks for higher ones in order to get a better DB, trade back to stock-pile(This is a weak draft class anyways), or stick to the current draft status and take best available player based on position of need in the draft?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast