Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lifting During Sport Season

Hey everyone.

Right now, my high school basketball season is really starting to kick off - I have 3 league games in the next 2 weeks.

I lift for sports, mostly during the summer (couldn't this year because of a broken wrist ), but I always try to workout on my free time.

Anyway, because it's basketball season, I have really avoided weights since I don't want to throw off my jumpshot, free throw, etc... I really didn't find it a problem in basketball since I'm conditioned well and have lifted enough in the past to be strong enough to compete very well.

All was fine until a few days ago when winter workouts for baseball started. I went to the batting cage practice and thought "This should be fine," but when I picked up a bat and started swinging, I was really surprised at how weak I felt.

The problem is, this year is huge for me. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I have a chance to make varsity baseball. It's my dream to play college baseball and I know that playing 3 years on varsity really improve my chances.

I want to lift again so badly but I'm afraid that once I start, I'm going to be too sore for basketball and when I get passed the "beginers soreness," my shot will be off as I'm getting stronger.

If anyone here has any idea on how I can get stronger for baseball season while keeping my basketball season in mind?

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 01-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.

vCash
    do a lot of restoration/conditioning work with sleds, prowlers, tires, etc.

As for weights messing up your jumpshot, it wont. They lift weights at the collegiate level.

vCash
    I play in 1-3 basketball leagues depending on the time of year. Lifting has helped my game in every aspect including a more consistent jumper.

I have gone to a game sore as **** from a real heavy day the day before and the second my body got warm the soreness went away completely and had no effect on me.

Even if it did effect you (which again I say it will have a positive effect) if your overall goal is college baseball THAT should be your focus and you should train to maximize your abilities there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    do a lot of restoration/conditioning work with sleds, prowlers, tires, etc.

As for weights messing up your jumpshot, it wont. They lift weights at the collegiate level.
    this

vCash
    I would look towards doing explosive type workouts to gain lean muscle mass. Also, a lot of core workouts to strengthen your swing
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I can tell you that I played ball (in high school and could have in college)when I was younger and I was wet from anywhere on the court until into my late teens. Once I started growing it affected my shot big time. While I am still a decent shooter the muscle just tweaked it enough that I am not on the level of lighting **** up anymore.

I would look into the prowler sled. Would be so great for your legs which i think is where baseball players get their power. Prowler sled mad my legs so much more powerful epxlosive. I started to feel like I could rush the passer