Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Piazza Might Not Make The HOF This Year

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...s-piazza-in-13
    The overall voting results will be announced Wednesday at 2 p.m., with a player needing to appear on 75 percent of submitted ballots to be enshrined in Cooperstown and on 5 percent to remain on the ballot for the following year.

I plan to wait a year on Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and Mike Piazza before placing them on my ballot.

As a Mets-specific writer, I'll offer a short reasoning on delaying a year on Piazza ...

While there is no smoking gun with Piazza related to performancing-enhancing drugs, there are enough things swirling around to at least cause me to pause for one year:

• Back acne that you do not see on players today, and which appeared to clear up as testing was instituted.

• Reporting to camp significantly thinner for spring training (with yoga instructor in tow) as testing began.

• Tearing the groin muscle off the bone -- an injury suggesting he was bulked up beyond the norm.
    This is just one example, but I read a few other guys who have left Piazza of their list this year. I am starting to really think he will not make it.

...but funny thing is he has Bagwell making it and Bagwell was a guy that many thought used roids.

vCash
    I'm confident he'll make it. He was one of the best hitting catchers in history and it has not been medically proven that he used steroids.

Also, he was just too important in New York. how cna he not get in after that 9/11 homerun?

vCash
    I'm not shocked to to see this, but to put him in the same sentence with Bonds and Clemens is unfair.

vCash
    Not ridiculous to think that Piazza may have been a juicer. But there is nowhere near as much evidence as the other guys mentioned. He should get in.

vCash
    What a disgrace it would be to not elect the greatest offensive catcher of all time because of an unfounded hunch. What a jackwagon.

vCash
    Seriously, who is in charge of handing out voting privileges?? I don't see how anyone could write something so stupid and irresponsible and still be allowed to vote. Adam Rubin is defiling the Hall of Fame if this is the standard of logic used for acceptance. Did Babe Ruth ever have acne or a groin injury??
    Last edited by Metsin08; 01-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...but funny thing is he has Bagwell making it and Bagwell was a guy that many thought used roids.
    His whole point is that he thinks that suspected steroid users shouldn't be first ballot hall of famers. This is Bagwell's 2nd year of eligibility, which is why he is voting him in.

vCash
    His reasons are a joke tbh.

vCash
    My prediction for 2013 HOF Class will be Craig Biggio and Jack Morris.

vCash
    So pretty much any superior player that had muscle mass won't make it into the Hall?

vCash
    Well, even as a Braves fan the man would get my vote. Player who stood out for his position and seemed to be as good a person as player.

vCash
    Davidoff writes on his blog:

If you watched Piazza play, you were captivated by him. Did anyone else hit those heat-seeking missiles like he did? You felt like all of his homers flew about a foot over the shortstop’s glove and then soared over the wall, breaking a car window in the process.

He hit 427 home runs, with 396 of those as a catcher. More than any other catcher in baseball history.

But again: The goal here isn’t to get caught up in images, or to hone in on any one number. It’s to look at the whole picture.

If Piazza is on next year’s ballot -- I assume he’ll get the five percent of the votes necessary to carry him over -- then I absolutely would consider voting for him. He’s a very worthy candidate. On this clogged ballot, though, I don’t believe he’s one of the 10 best. LMFAO, What a moron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    Davidoff writes on his blog:

If you watched Piazza play, you were captivated by him. Did anyone else hit those heat-seeking missiles like he did? You felt like all of his homers flew about a foot over the shortstop’s glove and then soared over the wall, breaking a car window in the process.

He hit 427 home runs, with 396 of those as a catcher. More than any other catcher in baseball history.

But again: The goal here isn’t to get caught up in images, or to hone in on any one number. It’s to look at the whole picture.

If Piazza is on next year’s ballot -- I assume he’ll get the five percent of the votes necessary to carry him over -- then I absolutely would consider voting for him. He’s a very worthy candidate. On this clogged ballot, though, I don’t believe he’s one of the 10 best. LMFAO, What a moron.
    Is there a shred, a modicum an iota of sense amongst these inept writers. I just don't get where everyone became an idiot all of a sudden, these guys must be writing this stuff when their bombed. Whatever the reason is. I am forming a list. Rubin and Davidoff top my no read/no listen list. If you have any others, I'd like to be made aware of them.

vCash
    It seems like all these writers get together to have a dick measuring contest. They all try to top each other with the most controversial articles about why or why not they choose to vote for someone.

Yeah I am not going to vote for Mike Piazza this year because he had back acne and brought a yoga instructor to spring training.

vCash
    I took PEDs for a very short while under a doctor's supervision, and I developed acne on my chest - not sure about my back. When I stopped using them, the acne went away.

Smoking gun, but who knows?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast