Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    78,048
    vCash
    1500

    Piazza Might Not Make The HOF This Year

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...s-piazza-in-13
    The overall voting results will be announced Wednesday at 2 p.m., with a player needing to appear on 75 percent of submitted ballots to be enshrined in Cooperstown and on 5 percent to remain on the ballot for the following year.

    I plan to wait a year on Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and Mike Piazza before placing them on my ballot.

    As a Mets-specific writer, I'll offer a short reasoning on delaying a year on Piazza ...

    While there is no smoking gun with Piazza related to performancing-enhancing drugs, there are enough things swirling around to at least cause me to pause for one year:

    • Back acne that you do not see on players today, and which appeared to clear up as testing was instituted.

    • Reporting to camp significantly thinner for spring training (with yoga instructor in tow) as testing began.

    • Tearing the groin muscle off the bone -- an injury suggesting he was bulked up beyond the norm.
    This is just one example, but I read a few other guys who have left Piazza of their list this year. I am starting to really think he will not make it.

    ...but funny thing is he has Bagwell making it and Bagwell was a guy that many thought used roids.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    I'm confident he'll make it. He was one of the best hitting catchers in history and it has not been medically proven that he used steroids.

    Also, he was just too important in New York. how cna he not get in after that 9/11 homerun?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,813
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not shocked to to see this, but to put him in the same sentence with Bonds and Clemens is unfair.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,386
    vCash
    1500
    Not ridiculous to think that Piazza may have been a juicer. But there is nowhere near as much evidence as the other guys mentioned. He should get in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    541
    vCash
    1500
    What a disgrace it would be to not elect the greatest offensive catcher of all time because of an unfounded hunch. What a jackwagon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    541
    vCash
    1500
    Seriously, who is in charge of handing out voting privileges?? I don't see how anyone could write something so stupid and irresponsible and still be allowed to vote. Adam Rubin is defiling the Hall of Fame if this is the standard of logic used for acceptance. Did Babe Ruth ever have acne or a groin injury??
    Last edited by Metsin08; 01-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...but funny thing is he has Bagwell making it and Bagwell was a guy that many thought used roids.
    His whole point is that he thinks that suspected steroid users shouldn't be first ballot hall of famers. This is Bagwell's 2nd year of eligibility, which is why he is voting him in.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,125
    vCash
    1500
    His reasons are a joke tbh.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,998
    vCash
    1500
    My prediction for 2013 HOF Class will be Craig Biggio and Jack Morris.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,998
    vCash
    1500
    So pretty much any superior player that had muscle mass won't make it into the Hall?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oakwood, Ga
    Posts
    1,459
    vCash
    1500
    Well, even as a Braves fan the man would get my vote. Player who stood out for his position and seemed to be as good a person as player.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    789
    vCash
    1500
    Davidoff writes on his blog:

    If you watched Piazza play, you were captivated by him. Did anyone else hit those heat-seeking missiles like he did? You felt like all of his homers flew about a foot over the shortstop’s glove and then soared over the wall, breaking a car window in the process.

    He hit 427 home runs, with 396 of those as a catcher. More than any other catcher in baseball history.

    But again: The goal here isn’t to get caught up in images, or to hone in on any one number. It’s to look at the whole picture.

    If Piazza is on next year’s ballot -- I assume he’ll get the five percent of the votes necessary to carry him over -- then I absolutely would consider voting for him. He’s a very worthy candidate. On this clogged ballot, though, I don’t believe he’s one of the 10 best. LMFAO, What a moron.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    789
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    Davidoff writes on his blog:

    If you watched Piazza play, you were captivated by him. Did anyone else hit those heat-seeking missiles like he did? You felt like all of his homers flew about a foot over the shortstop’s glove and then soared over the wall, breaking a car window in the process.

    He hit 427 home runs, with 396 of those as a catcher. More than any other catcher in baseball history.

    But again: The goal here isn’t to get caught up in images, or to hone in on any one number. It’s to look at the whole picture.

    If Piazza is on next year’s ballot -- I assume he’ll get the five percent of the votes necessary to carry him over -- then I absolutely would consider voting for him. He’s a very worthy candidate. On this clogged ballot, though, I don’t believe he’s one of the 10 best. LMFAO, What a moron.
    Is there a shred, a modicum an iota of sense amongst these inept writers. I just don't get where everyone became an idiot all of a sudden, these guys must be writing this stuff when their bombed. Whatever the reason is. I am forming a list. Rubin and Davidoff top my no read/no listen list. If you have any others, I'd like to be made aware of them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,411
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    Is there a shred, a modicum an iota of sense amongst these inept writers. I just don't get where everyone became an idiot all of a sudden, these guys must be writing this stuff when their bombed. Whatever the reason is. I am forming a list. Rubin and Davidoff top my no read/no listen list. If you have any others, I'd like to be made aware of them.
    Adam Rubin is actually one of a few members of the media that is trustworthy enough to at least read on a daily basis.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    789
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Adam Rubin is actually one of a few members of the media that is trustworthy enough to at least read on a daily basis.
    So because he reads, we must dismiss his abject stupidity when it comes to Piazza? I don't think so. How he makes a decision to not elect Piazza for the Hall of Fame is beyond me. He is now officially 1 of the 2 founding members of my no read list. Since the HOF is what prompted this, I am going to rename my list, the Hall of Infamy, presented for pure stupidity, complete disregard for facts or for just being totally out of touch. Initial honorees. Ken Davidoff & Adam Rubin. Congrats guys.
    Last edited by METMANYAK; 01-05-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •