Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Agreed, the small sample favors Duda in LF over RF. Currently, Duda was a -25 defender in RF.

I think Duda in LF can be a -10 defender, which is still terrible, but if his bat picks up to his Bill James projection(.268/.356/.454) it might be somewhat manageable.

At that point, I would like the Mets to deal him because he's never going to be a long term solution in the OF.
    How can James forsee Duda having an .810 OPS and increase his BA by almost 30 points? Duda has regressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    How can James forsee Duda having an .810 OPS and increase his BA by almost 30 points? Duda has regressed.
    Yes he definitely regressed last year, but his numbers in AAA were so good in 2010 and 2011, plus he had a .850 in 2011. James is projecting a bounceback, which makes sense because Duda is young enough to make that improvement.

vCash
    Agreed, the small sample favors Duda in LF over RF. Currently, Duda was a -25 defender in RF.

I think Duda in LF can be a -10 defender, which is still terrible, but if his bat picks up to his Bill James projection(.268/.356/.454) it might be somewhat manageable.

At that point, I would like the Mets to deal him because he's never going to be a long term solution in the OF.
    Basically I think the best plan for this team is to play the best defensive team possible (to take advantage of pitching, our greatest strength) which is why I want Valdy at 2B and I wanted to see us add a good defensive CF/RF (although we do have a couple). Despite this, we need offense from somewhere, and I think LF wouldn't be a bad option in our stadium to sacrifice defense if we are playing good defensive CF and RF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    Basically I think the best plan for this team is to play the best defensive team possible (to take advantage of pitching, our greatest strength) which is why I want Valdy at 2B and I wanted to see us add a good defensive CF/RF (although we do have a couple). Despite this, we need offense from somewhere, and I think LF wouldn't be a bad option in our stadium to sacrifice defense if we are playing good defensive CF and RF.
    Kirk is an average defender in CF. Cowgill is about the same or slightly worse.

Baxter is probably a slightly above average defensive RF, Brown too.

I like Valdespin at 2B, but the Mets seem committed to Murphy at 2B for 2013.

vCash

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been saying. I don't want him on the 2014 squad either way, unless he goes out in 2013 and hits 40 bombs.

vCash
    Kirk is an average defender in CF. Cowgill is about the same or slightly worse.

Baxter is probably a slightly above average defensive RF, Brown too.

I like Valdespin at 2B, but the Mets seem committed to Murphy at 2B for 2013.
    Exactly why I wanted Alderson to add a very good defensive outfielder this offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    Exactly why I wanted Alderson to add a very good defensive outfielder this offseason.
    We have den Dekker who will most likely come up this season.

If you haven't seen him in the outfield, I suggest you take a peek on youtube. He's a maniac in the field.

vCash
    Valdespin at 2b? No thank you. I don't trust Valdespin at the plate or in the field. Maybe he will earn some playing time in the OF due to our OF being so horrible, but I'd still like to see others get a chance before him.

I'll take my chances with Murphy at 2nd. Consistent contact hitter with upside to hit for a little bit more power (I think he can very realistically become a solid .800 OPS hitter if he just increases his power just a little bit and/or improves on his strength of hitting for contact). Meanwhile, his defense is improving and starting to become tolerable. I'm not concerned with his glove. My concern is his bat. If he can be the hitter we all know he is capable of being, it will outweigh his below average (but improving) defense.

As for Duda...I hope he starts in LF. We need him to somehow become the .800 OPS hitter he was once projected to become...so we can trade him for a real OFer.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Valdespin at 2b? No thank you. I don't trust Valdespin at the plate or in the field. Maybe he will earn some playing time in the OF due to our OF being so horrible, but I'd still like to see others get a chance before him.

I'll take my chances with Murphy at 2nd. Consistent contact hitter with upside to hit for a little bit more power (I think he can very realistically become a solid .800 OPS hitter if he just increases his power just a little bit and/or improves on his strength of hitting for contact). Meanwhile, his defense is improving and starting to become tolerable. I'm not concerned with his glove. My concern is his bat. If he can be the hitter we all know he is capable of being, it will outweigh his below average (but improving) defense.

As for Duda...I hope he starts in LF. We need him to somehow become the .800 OPS hitter he was once projected to become...so we can trade him for a real OFer.
    Valdespin is definitely better than Murphy defensively. He's really better at everything except BA.

vCash
    Valdespin is definitely better than Murphy defensively. He's really better at everything except BA.
    OBP as well.

How about professionalism too.

Murphy > Valdespin

We have been though this before.

Valdespin may never amount to anything. At least we know that Murphy belongs in the big leagues.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    We have den Dekker who will most likely come up this season.

If you haven't seen him in the outfield, I suggest you take a peek on youtube. He's a maniac in the field.
    He's better than Kirk, and Kirk ain't bad.

New outfield: Kirk in LF and a piece of CF, Den Dekker in CF/RF, Duda standing in a corner in RF trying not to get in anyone's way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    OBP as well.

How about professionalism too.

Murphy > Valdespin

We have been though this before.

Valdespin may never amount to anything. At least we know that Murphy belongs in the big leagues.
    He has a higher OBP because he has a higher BA. Doesn't walk much more than Valdespin.

Lol who cares about professionalism?

Murphy will get his last shot at 2B next year, he needs to hit for more power or play better defense to be a regular. He's a glorified utility player playing out of position.

vCash
    He has a higher OBP because he has a higher BA. Doesn't walk much more than Valdespin.

Lol who cares about professionalism?

Murphy will get his last shot at 2B next year, he needs to hit for more power or play better defense to be a regular. He's a glorified utility player playing out of position.
    On the professionalism issue: clearly, managers care. The results on the field care, too. This guy is a few nuts short of a crackerjack box right now.

You keep acting as if we have other options. We are the only team in MLB not to sign a major league contract this offseason. If/when we finally DO something, each outfield position is more worthy of an upgrade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    On the professionalism issue: clearly, managers care. The results on the field care, too. This guy is a few nuts short of a crackerjack box right now.

You keep acting as if we have other options. We are the only team in MLB not to sign a major league contract this offseason. If/when we finally DO something, each outfield position is more worthy of an upgrade.
    Well i think to be fair YS is right about Murphy.

The guy is a natural 3rd baseman and doesn't have the stick for that position so they cross their fingers and hope he works at 2nd base.

His defense was better than expected last year but it was still below average. He needs to step it up in that regard or be more of an impact hitter similarly to 2011 otherwise he is no more than a glorified utility player.

I am not that high on Valdespin either but his offensive game has good potential if he becomes more patient at the plate and he is a better glove than Murph at 2nd base.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-08-2013 at 06:34 PM.

vCash
    Duda was a disaster in RF and hopefully can hold his own in LF this year....I recall Ike Davis played alot of RF in college---if Duda would be decent defemsively at first should we consider Davis in RF [he was a pitcher so he has an arm which is wasted at 1b]? I would like to see if Duda grows as a hitter and could hit 30 homers---this possibility could keep him in Mets pinstripes and improve the overall defense [although range of Murphy is another drawback].
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123