Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,124
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    We do not play nearly enough games in AL parks to warrant carrying Duda, who literally may be the worst defensive outfielder in the game (out of the ones that actually get playing time in the outfield), to get a roster spot. His bat has definite potential to be productive, but he would have to be an offensive GOD to make up for his defense.

    EDIT: My mistake, turns out Duda is without question the worst defensive player in baseball:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=19,a
    The thing is we are in position to allow him to play though. If the potential shows up in the bat we can always move him to an AL team. We have nothing to lose this year by letting him play. That is why he will be the starting LF or RF this year. Out of all the names we can throw out there right now his development with the bat has the highest upside for the team going forward.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,923
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    The thing is we are in position to allow him to play though. If the potential shows up in the bat we can always move him to an AL team. We have nothing to lose this year by letting him play. That is why he will be the starting LF or RF this year. Out of all the names we can throw out there right now his development with the bat has the highest upside for the team going forward.
    I don't see why he necessarily has more upside offensively than someone like Andre Brown. He took tremendous strides backward in 2012 and even if he does return to his 2011 form, as a DH, he will never be worth more than a B- prospect.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,124
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    I don't see why he necessarily has more upside offensively than someone like Andre Brown. He took tremendous strides backward in 2012 and even if he does return to his 2011 form, as a DH, he will never be worth more than a B- prospect.
    What I am saying is his upside has the biggest potential to help this team moving forward. Say next year he hits 25 HR's and drives in 70, but plays the worst defense in MLB. He now has some value to a AL team. Andre Brown won't give you that.

    Even if he gets you a B- prospect that is someone who can potentially help you more than Duda will.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,923
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    What I am saying is his upside has the biggest potential to help this team moving forward. Say next year he hits 25 HR's and drives in 70, but plays the worst defense in MLB. He now has some value to a AL team. Andre Brown won't give you that.

    Even if he gets you a B- prospect that is someone who can potentially help you more than Duda will.
    It isn't realistic to hope that Duda hits 25 HR. In his short Major League career he has been a guy that strikes out far too much for a 20-HR bat. He walks at an okay rate, and clogs the base paths while playing atrocious defense. I'm saying his offensive upside is not high enough to warrant giving him playing time to boost his value. I would rather play someone like Brown, who at the very least can provide 15 HR power (maybe more) while playing FAR better defense.

    We know we aren't a playoff team this season, but if we want to avoid having a catastrophic 60-win season while averaging attendances under 15K, we should avoid playing guys like Duda.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Duda is garbage.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,094
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Duda is garbage.
    This is one of the few things I agree with you on. I really wish we wouldn't waste our time with him.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Honestly, Duda is still here because our OF is that terrible, cuz he's not very good and his potential isn't that great either. its Like Mike Jacobs... has the power but sucks.
    Crazy how fans seem to have certain players are favorites. Lucas Duda is offensively not much different than Ike Davis in last couple of years yet everyone seems to assume Ike is the next HR king of the NL and Duda is a bum. You can also make an argument that Ike is like Mike Jacobs...2013 will give everyone a better idea of who the real Ike Davis is. Yes, Duda is horrible in LF...I would think he would be better in 2013 and have a better year offensively. He just might surprise everyone in 2013...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,094
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman Fan View Post
    Crazy how fans seem to have certain players are favorites. Lucas Duda is offensively not much different than Ike Davis in last couple of years yet everyone seems to assume Ike is the next HR king of the NL and Duda is a bum. You can also make an argument that Ike is like Mike Jacobs...2013 will give everyone a better idea of who the real Ike Davis is. Yes, Duda is horrible in LF...I would think he would be better in 2013 and have a better year offensively. He just might surprise everyone in 2013...
    Yes, because clearly the real Ike Davis was the guy in the first half where he battled valley fever early and lost athleticism from the ankle injury that had him hitting below .200.

    Talent-wise, Lucas Duda and Ike Davis are not even close. Duda is one year older too, and has suffered no major injuries like Davis, so he has no excuse.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    307
    vCash
    1500
    Duda's role in 2013 is to have as good a year as possible, so that he can be trade bait for a teasm that needs a 1B or DH help. DH for anybody

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    I'm all for playing him to possibly get his offensive numbers up, but either way, I hope he's not on the team in 2014 unless it's as a pinch hitter.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,899
    vCash
    1500
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter
    Two months after surgery to repair a fractured right wrist that he suffered moving a couch into his new apartment, Lucas Duda said he will not be hindered during spring training.

    Duda told ESPNNewYork.com the wrist "feels great."

    Team doctor Andrew Weiland performed the surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan on Nov. 5. Duda said he subsequently wore a splint for two weeks.

    He already has started throwing in California and plans to begin hitting in the next week or so.

    Duda is expected to be the Mets' regular left fielder in 2013.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    307
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I'm all for playing him to possibly get his offensive numbers up, but either way, I hope he's not on the team in 2014 unless it's as a pinch hitter.
    Baxter can pinch hit and play defense. Anyplace but the Mets in 2014.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,571
    vCash
    1500
    I think Duda in LF will be much less of a defensive liability than he was in RF. However, if his bat doesn't pick up he'll be useless and should be gone with by the ASB. With the position we're in I see no reason why not give him a shot to regain his bat and maybe for once we catch a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,984
    vCash
    1500
    .718 OPS, 120 K's and 15 measly doubles in over 450 plate appearances. His offense better pick up because the Mets can't accept him being a liability in left or right for a guy hitting .239

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,094
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I think Duda in LF will be much less of a defensive liability than he was in RF. However, if his bat doesn't pick up he'll be useless and should be gone with by the ASB. With the position we're in I see no reason why not give him a shot to regain his bat and maybe for once we catch a break.
    Agreed, the small sample favors Duda in LF over RF. Currently, Duda was a -25 defender in RF.

    I think Duda in LF can be a -10 defender, which is still terrible, but if his bat picks up to his Bill James projection(.268/.356/.454) it might be somewhat manageable.

    At that point, I would like the Mets to deal him because he's never going to be a long term solution in the OF.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •