Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Duda's Role for 2013 & beyond

Lucas Duda could prove to be a valuable commodity with the new interleague cross-play. Most of you believe he'd be a valuable piece for an AL team to serve as a DH, well now the Mets must worry about a DH more often than ever (even though it's not much more).... Now....

I know he's slated to be the Opening Day LF and it worries many of you because defensively he is abysmal, but how do you all feel about his role potentially becoming a bench DH player if his second year as a full time starter doesn't pan out?
    #oneatatime

vCash
    As Stuna pointed out in another thread, we only have 10 road interleague games this year.

Last yr we had 9 road interleague games.

So you're right, Duda will help us in exactly ONE more game than he could last season.

Assuming you just didn't notice it's only one more game where we use a DH compared to last yr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Lucas Duda could prove to be a valuable commodity with the new interleague cross-play. Most of you believe he'd be a valuable piece for an AL team to serve as a DH, well now the Mets must worry about a DH more often than ever (even though it's not much more).... Now....

I know he's slated to be the Opening Day LF and it worries many of you because defensively he is abysmal, but how do you all feel about his role potentially becoming a bench DH player if his second year as a full time starter doesn't pan out?
    A bench DH player?????

If that doesn't work out, maybe he can be a road, Thursday, day game player.

vCash
    Sarcasm makes your ideas much better than just a proposed thought...

Aside from both of you taking the DH role so seriously.. What was intended was bench/ DH player.. I did not know it was only 10 games..

But my post was more to figure out ideas for Duda's potential role on this team and how to use him effectively. Because he will be on the team in 2013..
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Sarcasm makes your ideas much better than just a proposed thought...

Aside from both of you taking the DH role so seriously.. What was intended was bench/ DH player.. I did not know it was only 10 games..

But my post was more to figure out ideas for Duda's potential role on this team and how to use him effectively. Because he will be on the team in 2013..
    He will be on the team as long as he shows he can consistently hit MLB pitching and consistently drive in runs. If he's lost again at the plate in the first few months, he's gone. Sayonara. AMF. See ya.

vCash
    I think his role on this team is trade bait; but I guess this team's outfield is so bad that they can give Duda a shot until the All Star Break. After that, if he still cannot perform he's gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    I think his role on this team is trade bait; but I guess this team's outfield is so bad that they can give Duda a shot until the All Star Break. After that, if he still cannot perform he's gone.
    This is what I've been all for. Let him get his AB's so he can impress an AL team and if he falters, he's done.

He doesn't have a place on the Mets, or any NL team with a first baseman for that matter, so why not get his trade value up in a year where wins and losses don't matter as much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    This is what I've been all for. Let him get his AB's so he can impress an AL team and if he falters, he's done.

He doesn't have a place on the Mets, or any NL team with a first baseman for that matter, so why not get his trade value up in a year where wins and losses don't matter as much?
    If any year is the year to do it, it is this one.

vCash
    Honestly, Duda is still here because our OF is that terrible, cuz he's not very good and his potential isn't that great either. its Like Mike Jacobs... has the power but sucks.

vCash
    We do not play nearly enough games in AL parks to warrant carrying Duda, who literally may be the worst defensive outfielder in the game (out of the ones that actually get playing time in the outfield), to get a roster spot. His bat has definite potential to be productive, but he would have to be an offensive GOD to make up for his defense.

EDIT: My mistake, turns out Duda is without question the worst defensive player in baseball:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=19,a
    Last edited by SJ5382; 01-03-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    We do not play nearly enough games in AL parks to warrant carrying Duda, who literally may be the worst defensive outfielder in the game (out of the ones that actually get playing time in the outfield), to get a roster spot. His bat has definite potential to be productive, but he would have to be an offensive GOD to make up for his defense.

EDIT: My mistake, turns out Duda is without question the worst defensive player in baseball:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=19,a
    How legit is that fangraphs stuff... i'm surprised to see some of the names on that list. Choo for example is the 3rd worst defensive player in baseball? That's hard to believe. And guys like Matt Kemp are on the list... i thought he was a real good OFer?

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    One thing is perfectly clear, it's do or die time for Lucas Duda as a Met.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    How legit is that fangraphs stuff... i'm surprised to see some of the names on that list. Choo for example is the 3rd worst defensive player in baseball? That's hard to believe. And guys like Matt Kemp are on the list... i thought he was a real good OFer?
    Choo isn't very good, and Kemp should not play CF.

vCash
    His role is that of yet another APH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Defensive metrics are probably more subject to agreement/disagreement than other formulas because there are multiple philosophies behind the formulas, but what is relevant is that the people who write the formulas and record the data are very meticulous and diligent about their efforts. I think they are fair enough to provide good analysis and feedback.

Still, if you watch a team daily, you can pretty much come up with similar conclusions with your own eyes.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast