Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    booooo this man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up4LTKxe0PA
    Sens Raps Jays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Wait what? You never seen a player asking for more money to move/stay in a place where his family is not? It happens every year and not just in sports.
    Cool, except he should have considered those factors last year when he signed a 1+1 contract. I don't know how anyone can defend anything Oliver's doing here (IF these reports are all accurate), at this point it's really just a discussion about what's best for the Blue Jays.

vCash
    I think he'll come around. It's his last chance to make 3 million dollars playing baseball. He'd be stupid to turn it down. Hearing 3 million is not worth it to him is pretty ridiculous. No one will likely pay Mr. Oliver 3 million dollars a year for anything he does the rest of his life. He's got kids, here's his chance to set them up further. If the Jays play hard ball, he should be back. And to me that is the team's only choice. Trade him to Texas and you will get nothing back and make a team you'll hopefully be competing against better. No thanks. Give him a raise and you set a precedent for any other contract you sign with options.

Take the money, be a Blue Jay, compete for a title or retire. That's the options I'd give him personally.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    I don't know what it is but I'm getting more upset by the hour. Everyone on this forum would give their left nut (BJ girl...we'll figure something out) to play just 1 game of MLB. Most of us will work all our life and never make 3M in total.

Yet...he has this and more, yet spits on baseball...his word. The players are a big part of the problem with baseball the last 30 years. Yet we still take it.

This is just crossing a line for me...it's going too far.

What a greedy piece of crap. He's even a sell-out to his own family.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    To add to this...it's a amazing team that could get to the WS this year...some players would work for free if the union let them... to get a WS ring.

This guy is just wrong...how can a baseball player be so anti-baseball...such a twisted baseball soul.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Cool, except he should have considered those factors last year when he signed a 1+1 contract. I don't know how anyone can defend anything Oliver's doing here (IF these reports are all accurate), at this point it's really just a discussion about what's best for the Blue Jays.
    My guess it that he thought he would retire after this past season. He is doing what is best for him as he should. Now the blue jays should do the best thing for them and that would be make him play or let him retire.

vCash
    Wait what? You never seen a player asking for more money to move/stay in a place where his family is not? It happens every year and not just in sports.
    Why is that when people don't have a specific argument they try to justify a position with generic rhetoric.

The reality is, he signed a contract that no one forced him to sign. Period! You don't give him a penny more and you don't trade him, unless the value coming back is of equal or better value. You do give options; play, retire.

AA has never coddled players and this is not the exception to the rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    I'd rather give the money to Lyon
    This.

vCash
    My guess it that he thought he would retire after this past season. He is doing what is best for him as he should. Now the blue jays should do the best thing for them and that would be make him play or let him retire.
    Thanx for clarifying, I thought you were trying to justify his stance.

vCash
    I really thought Oliver would return considering all AA has done to make this team a contender. I guess in the end it's all about the money for him... oh well. If I'm AA, I play hard ball by giving him the options of either retiring, or playing for $3M. That's it. No trade to Texas, and sure as hell no pay raise.

vCash
    I don't justify his stance. But I think we forget that it's a business. I also think it's his agent thinking that, hey the Jays have increased there payroll by 85% and is trying to take advantage of the jays.
    Good business technique. Bad personable move

vCash
    To hell with him then. He's being a little *****, suck it up and play. You're 42 years old and you are demanding more money just to play here? Let him walk then. AA can sign someone else.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays Claw View Post
    I really thought Oliver would return considering all AA has done to make this team a contender. I guess in the end it's all about the money for him... oh well. If I'm AA, I play hard ball by giving him the options of either retiring, or playing for $3M. That's it. No trade to Texas, and sure as hell no pay raise.
    Thats what I thought too. Thought he'd be a tad more classy then this.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I don't know what it is but I'm getting more upset by the hour. Everyone on this forum would give their left nut (BJ girl...we'll figure something out) to play just 1 game of MLB. Most of us will work all our life and never make 3M in total.

Yet...he has this and more, yet spits on baseball...his word. The players are a big part of the problem with baseball the last 30 years. Yet we still take it.

This is just crossing a line for me...it's going too far.

What a greedy piece of crap. He's even a sell-out to his own family.
    What the hell are you talking about.

THe dude is 42 and has pretty much been an absentee father/husband for the better part of 20 years or however long he has been married. He now has a choice to retire or play. He would prefer to play at home close to his family. You are right he has made a ton of money in his lifetime which is precisely why he is not incredible thrilled to be playing at a salary that is below market value and far far away from home.

Yes he signed the contract and my guess is that at the end of all this he will be in toronto come opening day. But if i was him I would ask for more money if i was in the same situation.

Again this is a big IF. Who really knows what has been said or what happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Why is that when people don't have a specific argument they try to justify a position with generic rhetoric.

The reality is, he signed a contract that no one forced him to sign. Period! You don't give him a penny more and you don't trade him, unless the value coming back is of equal or better value. You do give options; play, retire.

AA has never coddled players and this is not the exception to the rule.
    I think you and people are getting ahead of themselves. The argument is pretty clear on his end. He wants to be close to his family, he is 42 and has been made a wealthy man through baseball. His preference seems to be to play close to home and is clearly underpaid paid according market value. Now he (apparently) asking for money if he is going ot be playing away from home. (My guess is that he thought he would have retired this year). And like i said before my guess is that he ends up on the opening day roster at his current contract rate.

It is a business and there is nothing wrong with asking for more.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast