Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If Oliver is really set on this, then the Jays are in another no win situation. Just like we had with Farrell

Don't think for one second that Texas are gonna give anything of value for Oliver so dealing him for scrubs will make us look weak again

And you definitely can't give him more money just because he asks for it

The only move is to give him the choice of playing or retiring and you live with his decision

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    I'd rather give the money to Lyon

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    If Oliver is really set on this, then the Jays are in another no win situation. Just like we had with Farrell

Don't think for one second that Texas are gonna give anything of value for Oliver so dealing him for scrubs will make us look weak again

And you definitely can't give him more money just because he asks for it

The only move is to give him the choice of playing or retiring and you live with his decision
    The minors can always use depth. May as well get something for him if you can.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Why do people want AA to pay him more money? It's obvious that he doesn't want to play for Toronto. The Jays already picked up his option, so if they do trade him to Texas he would gladly play there for the same 3 mil. His plans were to retire, so let him do just that. If he doesn't want to play here then goodbye! don't let the door hit you on the ***** on your way out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by damadmonk View Post
    I'm not sure what we can get for Oliver, but I do believe we do have some leverage. Our option might be slim, but the Rangers are looking for a guy just like Oliver. If we don't get what AA feel is reasonable, we just let him retire.

We don't lose out. Oliver was iffy about this year anyways. At least in this situation, we could get fair market value back or let Oliver retire. [B]AA has proven to get fair market value on trades.
    AA gets fair market value on trades because he simply doesn't make trades where he can't get fair market value. He can't magically create leverage where there isn't any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    The minors can always use depth. May as well get something for him if you can.
    what we get back wouldn't be worth it for the precedent it would set

The Farrell situation was slightly different in that you couldn't go into the season with a manager who wants to manage your rival

With Oliver, you can just ask him to retire which is something that was a possibility from the start

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    What a piece of ****. It's a contract for a reason.

Reminds me of Stieb.
    I'm sorry. What?? Are you talking about Gillick and Beeston tearing up the final three years of Stieb's 11 year contract?

vCash
    Are we a better team with Oliver in the bullpen in 2013? Absolutely. However, perception matters. Caving in to a demand like this, particularly to a player of his lesser status, sets a terrible precedent. This isn't Jose saying he needs a new contract because he is so horrendously underpaid. This is a 42 year old lefty reliever being paid a friendly, but still fair market salary.

Unlike some of you, I won't say that AA would never do it. You never know, and it depends what kind of value he places on Oliver in the BP and if he feels he can gt a suitable replacement, but personally, I'm hoping we either trade him for something of value, or let him retire if he wants to play hardball.

Time will tell.

vCash
    I really hope the Jays play hardball with Oliver. And by that I mean they don't trade him to Texas, and they don't offer him any extra money. He wants to be with his family, that's fine. Let him be with his family. But don't give him a penny more than his contract dictates, and don't let him be with Texas simply because it's convenient for him.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    I don't mind them throwing him another million bucks, but yeah, you can't trade him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I really hope the Jays play hardball with Oliver. And by that I mean they don't trade him to Texas, and they don't offer him any extra money. He wants to be with his family, that's fine. Let him be with his family. But don't give him a penny more than his contract dictates, and don't let him be with Texas simply because it's convenient for him.
    I would only make the trade if we got something of real value back, which I admit is unlikely. Contract holdouts get traded all the time, so it's not that huge a precedent, but other than that, he signed a contract. If he doesn't want to honour it, and we can get something worthwhile in trade, he can keep right on enjoying that home life imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    I would only make the trade if we got something of real value back, which I admit is unlikely. Contract holdouts get traded all the time, so it's not that huge a precedent, but other than that, he signed a contract. If he doesn't want to honour it, and we can get something worthwhile in trade, he can keep right on enjoying that home life imo.
    You won't get any value in return thanks to the fact that Oliver has basically demanded a trade to the Rangers. If you get a bag of balls back it's about the best you could do.

You can't trade Oliver now. I understand why some people would want to throw him a million bucks, but I wouldn't even do that. I get he's a talented player, but I don't like this little stunt he's pulling so I would just tell him to enjoy his time with his family if he doesn't think $3M is good enough.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    My problem here isn't that he's asking for more, because I don't blame him even after he requested and received his current deal to be front loaded, it's the fact that he's trying to take the high road by saying it's all about his family and not about the money, then turning around and saying well, you gimme more money and I'll come back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    My problem here isn't that he's asking for more, because I don't blame him even after he requested and received his current deal to be front loaded, it's the fact that he's trying to take the high road by saying it's all about his family and not about the money, then turning around and saying well, you gimme more money and I'll come back.
    Wait what? You never seen a player asking for more money to move/stay in a place where his family is not? It happens every year and not just in sports.

vCash
    booooo this man
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast