Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    860
    vCash
    1500
    This is a joke...... Couldn't they tell him earlier that they will sign JT? Maloofs are a joke. Sell the team...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GoferKing_ View Post
    This is a joke...... Couldn't they tell him earlier that they will sign JT? Maloofs are a joke. Sell the team...
    The draft is before free agent signing. You never know what another team may offer a player, what if some team offered Jason Thompson 10 mil a season, unlikely but all it takes is 2 other teams to want him.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    860
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    The draft is before free agent signing. You never know what another team may offer a player, what if some team offered Jason Thompson 10 mil a season, unlikely but all it takes is 2 other teams to want him.
    Then we let him go and search for someone else. It looks like we paid a average player and passed on an All Star (and drafted garbage). xD

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Posts
    8,393
    vCash
    1500
    Honestly, it comes down to drafting the best player available.

    Sounds like we drafted on "possible" need.

    Petrie really gets stuck on players, doesn't he?? Most other GM's would just let a player go if the price isn't right. If he has a man crush on a player, he'll be after them forever and willing to overpay. Brooks, Garcia, JT, etc.

    JT isn't overpaid in my opinion, but you know what I mean.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    37,892
    vCash
    1500
    I laugh at how alot of you assume Damian Lillard would be doing the same if he was drafted by us.

    I bet he'd maybe rank in the Top 10 of rookies, but nowhere close to what he is doing right now.

    You come here, your career stagnates, whether you are a veteran or a rookie.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GoferKing_ View Post
    Then we let him go and search for someone else. It looks like we paid a average player and passed on an All Star (and drafted garbage). xD
    Who is the all star Lillard? I am sure if Petrie knew Lillard was going to be this good after the fact he would of drafted him over T-Rob.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebraCity916 View Post
    Honestly, it comes down to drafting the best player available.

    Sounds like we drafted on "possible" need.

    Petrie really gets stuck on players, doesn't he?? Most other GM's would just let a player go if the price isn't right. If he has a man crush on a player, he'll be after them forever and willing to overpay. Brooks, Garcia, JT, etc.

    JT isn't overpaid in my opinion, but you know what I mean.
    I think at 5 mil a season J.T. is a bargain.

    Brooks is a bargain too, he is only making a little over 2 mil.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    916
    Posts
    3,712
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    The draft is before free agent signing. You never know what another team may offer a player, what if some team offered Jason Thompson 10 mil a season, unlikely but all it takes is 2 other teams to want him.
    Part of Petrie's job is to know the market value of his players. Sure, some team could have come out of left field and offered JT 10 mil a sesaon, but like you said it would be unlikely. Plus, JT didn't even really test the free agency waters. We re-signed him before any other team made him an offer. Petrie should have had a better idea of how much money the Maloofs were willing to spend and what JT was willing to re-sign for.

    Also, with the fifth pick in the draft, you draft the best player available. If Petrie really thought that Lillard was better than T-Rob, then he should have drafted him. If we drafted Lillard and we weren't able to re-sign JT, then we could have gone after another big man to replace JT. We did spend some money this year to bring in players: between re-sigining JT, signing Brooks, and trading for James Johnson we added $11 million in payroll this season. I'm sure that we could have brought in another big man for $11 million.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    916
    Posts
    3,712
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I think at 5 mil a season J.T. is a bargain.

    Brooks is a bargain too, he is only making a little over 2 mil.
    JT is a bargain at $5 million. I would say that he's a slightly above average starting PF. Getting an above average starter for $5 million is a great deal.

    Brooks actually makes a little over $3 million, which is still a decent deal. Although, I still would like to see him moved.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    Part of Petrie's job is to know the market value of his players. Sure, some team could have come out of left field and offered JT 10 mil a sesaon, but like you said it would be unlikely. Plus, JT didn't even really test the free agency waters. We re-signed him before any other team made him an offer. Petrie should have had a better idea of how much money the Maloofs were willing to spend and what JT was willing to re-sign for.

    Also, with the fifth pick in the draft, you draft the best player available. If Petrie really thought that Lillard was better than T-Rob, then he should have drafted him. If we drafted Lillard and we weren't able to re-sign JT, then we could have gone after another big man to replace JT. We did spend some money this year to bring in players: between re-sigining JT, signing Brooks, and trading for James Johnson we added $11 million in payroll this season. I'm sure that we could have brought in another big man for $11 million.
    At the time of the draft other teams cannot even talk to Jason Thompson. The Knicks thought for sure they were going to resign Jeremy Lin. Something unexpected came along and they got nothing for him. Lot of teams keep their plans quiet, teams cant tamper before the official deadline opens. All it takes is 1 other team to have good interest in Jason Thompson and his value goes up.

    I would not have drafted Thomas Robinson, I made it clear in these forums how I felt about Thomas Robinson pre draft and there was a lot of people posting on here that wanted the Kings to draft Thomas Robinson, but I am not going to blame Petrie for not seeing the future and knowing if he would be able to resign Jason Thompson.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    JT is a bargain at $5 million. I would say that he's a slightly above average starting PF. Getting an above average starter for $5 million is a great deal.

    Brooks actually makes a little over $3 million, which is still a decent deal. Although, I still would like to see him moved.
    I am with you on both of those. Brooks has a player option for his 2nd season, he basically signed thinking he would get good playing time with the Kings showcasing his value for other teams in the league for next season kind of like Crawford did the season before. Brooks could help a playoff team as a PG off the bench, and we could maybe get a late first round pick or a possible role player for him.

    We are not going to get a lot for Brooks, but I dont expect him to be on the Kings next season.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,621
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I laugh at how alot of you assume Damian Lillard would be doing the same if he was drafted by us.

    I bet he'd maybe rank in the Top 10 of rookies, but nowhere close to what he is doing right now.

    You come here, your career stagnates, whether you are a veteran or a rookie.
    I disagree. Tyreke was drafted and played great his first year. So... I don't see why you think Lillard would not have had success as well. Cousins hasn't been doing badly by any means... just has attitude issues. Lillard has never been even mentioned as having similar issues.

    Now... we can't assume he'd have similar success... but you cant assume he would have less success. Or even dismiss the possibility that he would have MORE success. We just don't know.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bay(Daly City), Stockton Cali
    Posts
    950
    vCash
    1500
    I don't know why some of you guys are quick to call Trob a bust. He kinda reminds me of JT when he first came in as a rookie, playing really sloppy but hustled hard and with more potential. He'll get it together. He has showed some flashes of what he can so.
    Sacramento Kings
    Oakland A's
    San Francisco 49's
    San Jose Sharks


  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    668
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not calling TRob a bust, but seeing how Lillard tear it up and after all this year, we still hear that our team need a true PG. A core of Lillard and DMC to build around, almost like CP3 and Griffin.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,059
    vCash
    1500
    Lilliard was looking good from day 1 of the season, how much credit can you give to coaching for that? Talent is the #1 reason a player is good. I doubt anyone in the Trail Blazers coaching taught Lillard how to shoot, dribble, or gave him his instincts to pass. If in a players 3rd season he learns to shoot thanks to his coach then I would give credit to the coach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •