Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew will not change his NFL Draft strategy

ALLEN PARK -- If you are a Detroit Lions fans who does not agree with general manager Martin Mayhew's NFL Draft philosophy, now would be a good time to put down your hot coffee, stop operating heavy machinery, or remember your New Year's resolution about using bad language.

You have been warned.

Mayhew typically likes to draft the best player available instead of addressing needs. He has followed that strategy ever since he became general manager late in 2008.

Last season, Detroit's biggest needs were in the secondary and at running back. Mayhew chose to select the best player available instead, and as a result, no member of Mayhew's 2012 draft class had an instant impact. Offensive lineman Riley Reiff saw some playing time, but mostly in set packages.

Detroit has several needs this offseason, and this might be Mayhew's final year as general manager if the team does not make the playoffs.

"Our philosophy will be the same. We'll look for the best player available. We won't change our beliefs about that." - Martin Mayhew
    However, that sense of urgency will not alter Mayhew's draft strategy at all.

"All the guys that we draft we expect to play," Mayhew said. "We don't draft guys with the thought that they're not going to play. I don't see it (salary cap limitations) having a dramatic impact on our draft. Our philosophy will be the same. We'll look for the best player available. We won't change our beliefs about that."

That also means the majority of Detroit's fan base will not change their view of Mayhew if he continues to add luxury picks instead of players who can immediately start and play.

Mayhew said he ultimately makes the final decision on which players Detroit drafts, but still believes in his strategy.

"I think you got to have some things that you believe in," Mayhew said. "Our drafts is what allowed us to go from two wins to six wins to 10 wins. That's the reality of it. I believe in the way that we're doing it. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a bunch of teams saying we draft for need. To find a bunch of G.M.'s that say that's what I do; I just go out and take whatever I need. We're trying to find good players for the long haul.

"It's not just about getting ready for the first game of the season, and I think that's short-sighted when you start saying we don't have any 'whatever' position, and I got to draft one of those in the first round because we don't have one. Your draft is supposed to build your team for the future, in my opinion, when you're getting your team ready for every season to come, so I think you got to take the best players you can find."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...l#incart_river

vCash
    He did not change coaches when it was obvious he should...so why would he change this?

vCash
    Oh I can see this thread ending well.

With the 5th pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select DT Star..... *PSD Lions forum burns down*

Seriously though I understand the thought to add as many talented playmakers as possible to help cover yourself when free agency hits and to hopefully disguise some other holes but I'd be very disappointed if we don't take a LB/DE with out #1 pick, and then shore up the secondary. Of course that all depends on what happens in free agency but for now I want Te'o, Moore, or by some stroke of luck Jarvis Jones.

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Oh I can see this thread ending well.

With the 5th pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select DT Star..... *PSD Lions forum burns down*
    Then Shartz would hit the podium and tell us how great it is going to work.
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Then Shartz would hit the podium and tell us how great it is going to work.
    I hope at the same time they announce switching to the 5-2 defense...

vCash
    can we hire Ray Lewis to be our LB coach please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    can we hire Ray Lewis to be our LB coach please.
    hell YEAH!

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 17 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    With the 5th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Star Lotulelei...
    With the 36th pick in the 201 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Robert Woods...

I can see it now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    With the 5th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Star Lotulelei...
    With the 36th pick in the 201 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Robert Woods...

I can see it now
    Depending on how FA goes and if they move Suh to DE that isn't a bad first 2 rounds. Actually, it's one I was thinking about when Woods went pro.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    5th pick: Geno Smith
    36th pick: Matt Barkley

AAL: Joesph Fauria
    YRDs: 46
    TDs:
    Cool TD Dances: ∞

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

vCash
    Terrible. I hate that there's no room for an open mind. Drafting bpa is fine when were 0-16 because there were so many holes to fill. When your a ten win team, you should go after an immediate starter who can help you win now.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 17 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    vCash
    This isn't an inherently flawed strategy. It could work if he simply trades down to where BPA matches a need. If he trades down to 12, for example, he can draft the BPA and still fill a need (Johnthan Banks).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan28 View Post
    This isn't an inherently flawed strategy. It could work if he simply trades down to where BPA matches a need. If he trades down to 12, for example, he can draft the BPA and still fill a need (Johnthan Banks).
    He's usually quite active with trades on draft day so that's certainly possible imo, but he's also said we lack those high end play makers, so maybe he wants the higher pick.

The last 2 years we've basically been gifted Fairley and Reiff (both were not expected to fall) so I don't mine that.

Getting down to the ~10-15 range is what I want, that also allows us to pick up a 2nd and 3rd perhaps.

Banks, Milliner, Warmack would all be great picks and starters for us but who knows. Hopefully he does move back though

vCash
    Best Player Available could be a working strategy - IF YOU HAD A GOOD GAUGE OF A GOOD PLAYER!!!!! If he's drafting BPA, then man there must NEVER be a good player available!! Because aside from Top Tier picks that are no-brainers, this guy hasn't hit on SQUAT!!!

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    Best Player Available could be a working strategy - IF YOU HAD A GOOD GAUGE OF A GOOD PLAYER!!!!! If he's drafting BPA, then man there must NEVER be a good player available!! Because aside from Top Tier picks that are no-brainers, this guy hasn't hit on SQUAT!!!
    its a step up from Millen...who didn't even hit the no brainers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast