Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: If we make the playoffs do we still fire BC?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - he sucks get rid of him

8 30.77%
  • NO - the team has great pieces, he has done well

18 69.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Canadian in Carolina. University of South Carolina Beaufort.
    vCash
    again.. i dont know what is with this forum and the completely opposite poll selections... because "he sucks" is a little harsh and " he has done well" is not exactly true...... im assuming a bunch of people will have changed their perspective on him.. i feel the Ross pick might end up being quite smart.. but hes still terrible when it comes to trades and signings.. hes had a few good draft picks but hes awful at second round picks.. we never give em any time anyway.. minus well trade em away er sumthin... i personally feel we should go a new direction at the GM spot . hes too unpredictable and inconsistent with his signings.. .. O'Neal, Fields, Hedo, Peja, Lowry (TBD) , a few others.. i dunno
    http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/NOAH.gif

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!- BEASTMODE

BLUE JAYS

twitter
    https://twitter.com/NicolasONeill_

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Being the only team in Canada, I think we have to expect that.

Harder to almost impossible to sign big free agents

Have to overpay just about anyone to want to play here unfortunately.
    I agree and disagree, at this point we have to overpay I think but we need to overpay for great players, not glue pieces like fields.

But if we made a big move or two and put together a great looking team, people will want to come to Toronto to win. Look at the Blue Jays, no one really wanted to go there but after a few trades people didn't mind one bit to join a team that looks good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnsportsfan View Post
    On the fence, will reserve judgment for now. If these past 10 games become the lone bright spot in an overall losing campaign he's gone. If the team keeps this up, turns around their record and makes an actual push for the playoffs he stays around, even if they fall just short.

I agree the contract shouldn't be long though, 2 yrs works no longer than that though. He's got to prove himself again, prove his moves work.

And agreed his trades have not been great, but he can redeem that by moving Bargs. I mean the guy did move Hoffa - HOFFA! - and he traded him for more than a bag of basketballs too, he got Hump out of the deal! Where's that magical BC who started out that way here in TO? Get him back, move Bargs for something and he's won me back
    I don't think that's enough. Our core won't be ready in 2 years and it'll be a shaky ride. BC has a very bad habit of changing directions midway through a rebuilding process because he wants to save himself during his contract year. Give him 3 years at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor17 View Post
    I agree and disagree, at this point we have to overpay I think but we need to overpay for great players, not glue pieces like fields.

But if we made a big move or two and put together a great looking team, people will want to come to Toronto to win. Look at the Blue Jays, no one really wanted to go there but after a few trades people didn't mind one bit to join a team that looks good.
    There's only so much you can offer each player. If there's a great player on the market, everyone is offering a max contract.

Baseball is different. They traded away good prospects for stars. Then that's when other players wan't to come here. We don't have that luxury in the NBA.

vCash
    Being the only team in Canada, I think we have to expect that.

Harder to almost impossible to sign big free agents

Have to overpay just about anyone to want to play here unfortunately.
    This.

Taxes in Canada takes up a bit over 40% of NBA player's contract. Plus, they have to pay taxes for when they go back to US for the offseason.

I'd be pissed if I had to deal with that when I could go to the US and not have to pay state taxes in some states.

vCash
    I was on the fire BC wagon a couple weeks ago, but I have changed my tune recently.

I am very happy with the last 4 draft picks (DeMar, Ed, Valanciunas & Ross)

I like the acquisition of Lowry, even though it cost us a lottery pick

Alan Anderson was also a decent find.

Amir contract doesn't look so bad anymore.

Jury is still out on Fields but if he can average 9 & 7 like he has the past few games, I don't think its that bad of a contract.

Basically if he trades Bargnani & we make the playoffs, I think its a job well done, post Bosh era.
    +1 well said mang

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    There's only so much you can offer each player. If there's a great player on the market, everyone is offering a max contract.

Baseball is different. They traded away good prospects for stars. Then that's when other players wan't to come here. We don't have that luxury in the NBA.
    Im not saying max contract guys, but the near max guys. At this point we can't get a max guy unless its from a trade but to offer a guy like fields 6.5mil or whatever a year is too much for not enough. Guys like Alan Anderson is doing the job of glue guy that Fields was supposed to have and he gets paid much less.

And your right but I was just trying to point out how other players want to come to a team that shows they are about winning. I give the Nets or Heat as an NBA example then, they made big moves and had guys willing to make less to win.

vCash
    Should B.C go?

Cue Wise 1, Bramaca and co.

"Bryan rushed the rebuild...we don't have any superstars...Andrea was the wrong pick...should have known Bosh's intentions beforehand" etc.

Bottom line is its been far from perfect but in the NBA you need stars to win and that kind of player was never available for B.C to get.

I can't fault a guy for missing the boat when there was never a boat to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canzano55 View Post
    Should B.C go?

Cue Wise 1, Bramaca and co.

"Bryan rushed the rebuild...we don't have any superstars...Andrea was the wrong pick...should have known Bosh's intentions beforehand" etc.

Bottom line is its been far from perfect but in the NBA you need stars to win and that kind of player was never available for B.C to get.

I can't fault a guy for missing the boat when there was never a boat to begin with.
    +1

I'm not the biggest BC fan, but you can't fault the guy for not having the right tools to win. Plus there is no way BC does not get an extension if we make the playoffs.

It is quite sad that barely making the playoffs for any MLSE team would be considered one of the most successful seasons in a decade!

vCash
    The problem is this team has the stigma of losing being in Canada and any GM is going to have trouble. I think for what Bryan has to deal with, he's done a fine job. T Ross might be his biggest find if he blossoms into the player he could potentially be and shut up a large chunk of the Raps nation who were pissed that we didnt get Drummond or Rivers.

Now if the Raps can build upon the young guys like Davis, Demar, ROss and Jonas and bring in guys like Lowry and add another big man and another guy on the wing, this team could be a top 5 team in the Eastern Conference.

The team also has a pretty deep bench right now and that will help them against any team. I doubt Bargs will come back as a starter if the team is winning and will likely come off the bench, which I have no problems with since Bargs would be one of the best 2nd stringers in the league and probably run rough-shot against the majority of the league's other benches. Him and Lowry as a 2nd string combo is pretty darn good actually if you ask me (until trades happen).

I say keep BC for now and see how the rest of the season goes. He's staying anyways until the end of the year so let's see how things play up and then decide.

vCash
    i am dying for Bargs to come back so we can see how this all shakes out. he's holding BC's extension in his giant italian hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    His signings have been sub par but he handling of our picks has been pretty solid... I'm pretty ok with however it turns out. I usually prefer a rule of 5 years and no playoffs = fire the gm. However, we have a good bundle of talent and if he can get a good return for andrea and jose then i'm happy,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i am dying for Bargs to come back so we can see how this all shakes out. he's holding BC's extension in his giant italian hands.
    Agreed. There's still a vulture circling BC's future here. It hinges on how he deals with Andrea, does he allow Casey to play him how he deems best, or does he do what Smitch is all but confirming he's done in the past by forcing the coach's hand? Does he trade him without taking back another long term contract? Does he have the will to amnesty AB if he doesn't work out upon his return?

....too many variables. But he's certainly making more of a case for himself as the team (specifically Ross and Lowry) plays better NBA basketball

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    we saw lowry take the criticism in the team meeting and change his game up a bit to fit with everyone else. now it's on bargs to do the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick O View Post
    again.. i dont know what is with this forum and the completely opposite poll selections... because "he sucks" is a little harsh and " he has done well" is not exactly true......
    My bad, should have spent a little more time but didnt have much time today to spend on a decent thread... Title i guess could have improved as well such as: "if we contend for the 8th seed do we still fire bc" I think most get what i was shooting for as the responses have all been solid from both sides of the spectrum...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast