Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Delmas Dilemma

Anyone know how much he's gonna want to sign for?

The last time I remember him doing anything was his rookie year, and since then he's been playing on tin man legs. We need help back there, but is Delmas gonna want too much money?

Do you pay a guy based on tiny slivers of greatness? Is it worth the risk?

If he accepts a 1 or 2 yr deal at a very low rate, I would say yes...let him earn his big pay day. But if he wants to get paid...I said goodbye.

Delmas and Best are 2 of the biggest bummers for Lions fans IMO. Delmas could have been great, but maybe he still can be. I just dont think we are in a financial position to take a chance on him if he asks for big money though.

vCash
    I don't think he's worth much at all. You basically have to DOUBLE whatever his annual salary is, because he's only going to play half the season! Not to mention his inability - or outright refusal - to wrap up when he tackles.

He isn't elite. And I'm pretty sure he's going to want elite money. I'd be perfectly fine letting him walk, and using that money to someone who - while maybe being a bit of a downgrade in talent - will be an upgrade at staying on the field. Missing games KILLS your value, and it KILLS the chemistry of your secondary.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    2 years, cheap go for it.

vCash
    I cant imagine why he would think he is worth top $ considering the amount of time he has missed

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick925 View Post
    I cant imagine why he would think he is worth top $ considering the amount of time he has missed
    This

If he thinks he is worth the top $ then I say let him walk. Right now I see him as Bob Sanders 2.0. They both have or had all the talent in the world but couldn't stay on the DAMN field. I would like to see him on the team next year but only if its a cheap incentive clad deal.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick925 View Post
    why did cliff avril think he was worth 10million + a year?

why did titus think he was going to the #1 option or even considered so

why die tampa bay pay Eric Wright such a huge salary?

Sports players think they are often the best (most of the time they are when they were growing up) so they will always see themselves worth more than they are. It gets to the point where they say things like I want Revis money...because they want to be paid like they highest paid player at their position. To land that type of contract only validates them in their eyes.

vCash
    And Delmas is a bit of a name, and is respected and held in high regard amongst his peers. Him and his agent are DEFINITELY going to be aiming high.

Scrap Detroit!!

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    And Delmas is a bit of a name, and is respected and held in high regard amongst his peers. Him and his agent are DEFINITELY going to be aiming high.
    Yeah I agree...I just can't really see paying him, yes he is a good saftey when he is out there, but he is out there for only about 6 games a year.

vCash
    Delmas isn't signing anywhere for anything less than 4.5-5M/season. The franchise tag on him is 6.7M.

If DET doesn't give him at least a 4 year deal, someone else will.

If you want Delmas back on the team, be prepared to offer him pretty much the identical contract that Tulloch got last year (5 years, 25M)

With Corey Williams hitting the FA market, making over 6M in DET last season, you could re-sign Williams with Delmas money from 2012, and re-sign Delmas with a contract slightly less than Corey Williams money from 2012; and probably have a deal with both players.

Corey Williams is 33 years old and won't find the money he was making anywhere else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    why did cliff avril think he was worth 10million + a year?

Why did titus think he was going to the #1 option or even considered so

why die tampa bay pay eric wright such a huge salary?

sports players think they are often the best (most of the time they are when they were growing up) so they will always see themselves worth more than they are. It gets to the point where they say things like i want revis money...because they want to be paid like they highest paid player at their position. To land that type of contract only validates them in their eyes.

because they actually played football - Titus.. he is delusional

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    pay him based on productivity or on field percentage...
    no play- no pay!
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    pay him based on productivity or on field percentage...
    no play- no pay!
    Sounds good to me.. Give him a nice size contract that is based on hitting bonuses, Obviously if he isnt on the field he isnt gonna touch 25% of the money.. Fair for both sides.. Im just scared another team like jax will take the risk of him getting injured and pay him pretty decent

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Half the problem, though, is having him on your roster and counting on him in your gameplan. Sure - money is a part of it, but not having a true starting safety on the field when he's on the sideline is what really hurts you.

So paying the guy based on how much he's out there really only would solve a portion of the issue. We need players who we can count on while putting together a strategy in the off season, and actually wind up having available during game time to see it through!!

Scrap Detroit!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    Half the problem, though, is having him on your roster and counting on him in your gameplan. Sure - money is a part of it, but not having a true starting safety on the field when he's on the sideline is what really hurts you.

So paying the guy based on how much he's out there really only would solve a portion of the issue. We need players who we can count on while putting together a strategy in the off season, and actually wind up having available during game time to see it through!!
    100% agree, if you have all the talent in the world but you only play 3-8 games a year well I would rather just take a more reliable but less talented player. The problem is the lions have the extremes...Don Carey can be healthy for every game he just can't play for ****.

vCash
    Give him an incentive based contract with multiple voidable years. He has the potential to be a great player in this league, but can't stay healthy. Give him a safe contract that basically pays him for how well he performs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast