Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mayhew: "Significant changes on defense"

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lio...c-63c01bab8c43

Reading that list of names of our secondary made me want to vomit. On paper, that is one of the crappiest looking secondaries ever. Unfortunately, it looks like they are gonna blame injuries for the secondary's poor performance, and just accept Delmas' time on the IR as a normal occurrence. In Mayhew we trust?

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    We need so many more pieces on defense, especially considering

Willis (Restricted), Avril, LoJack, Durant, Levy, Delmas, Speivey, SLH, CWill, Houston are all FAs.

We basically need (either re-sign or FA/draft)

2 starting safeties
    2 starting CBs (Bentley, Lacey, Bartell are good for depth)
    2 starting OLBs
    2 starting DEs (KVB is done...)
    1 backup DT who is also capable of starting in case of injury

That's 8 starters we need and we really don't have many internal options for it. I'm sure we could probably only need 1 OLB since one of T. Lewis, Whitehead or Palmer could probably hold it down, but **** that's a lot of things we need when we have little cap space.
    dont have a seizure cwick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    We need so many more pieces on defense, especially considering

Willis (Restricted), Avril, LoJack, Durant, Levy, Delmas, Speivey, SLH, CWill, Houston are all FAs.

We basically need (either re-sign or FA/draft)

2 starting safeties
    2 starting CBs (Bentley, Lacey, Bartell are good for depth)
    2 starting OLBs
    2 starting DEs (KVB is done...)
    1 backup DT who is also capable of starting in case of injury

That's 8 starters we need and we really don't have many internal options for it. I'm sure we could probably only need 1 OLB since one of T. Lewis, Whitehead or Palmer could probably hold it down, but **** that's a lot of things we need when we have little cap space.
    So why didnt more of the 2012 draft class see time in the last few games? Wouldnt that be the best time to evaluate their skills and see if they are capable of a more expanded role in 2013?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    So why didnt more of the 2012 draft class see time in the last few games? Wouldnt that be the best time to evaluate their skills and see if they are capable of a more expanded role in 2013?
    Yes. I was complaining of that and didn't understand why they didn't. Bartell was cut from the Raiders because their season was lost and they wanted to test the young guys. Well we could have done that without releasing vets... dumb move by the coaching staff.

Would it really have hurt to give Travis Lewis and Whitehead 30 snaps each at OLB?

vCash
    Its not like he is gong to go out and try and pay for anyone. He will most likely get a crappy player and sell us on his upside or an old vet who cant produce anymore and sell us on how he use to be great.

vCash
    What FAs has he actually brought in that's been any good though? KVB and Burleson were both overpaid and it should have been clear KVB was in the decline then.

He needs to do more trades, but even then CWill was basically only moved because of his big cap and other deals like that. He's really got no room or picks to move, but needs to basically rebuild the team. Can't really not blame him, since he knew he would be in this predicament.

vCash
    I want to see them grab a starting safety(opposite of Delmas), a starting CB(opposite of Houston), and 2 starting DEs(one via draft & letting Young/Jackson/Lewis take Avril spot). And upgrade one of the OLB spots(preferably Levy's)

vCash
    We are money strapped and it might take a drastic move to clear up some cash to add more pieces. Keep (Tully, Suh, Fairley, not FA) Houston, Delmas. Draft the rest and keep your cheap younger guys like Young, Lo-jack. Trade back from #5 and gather more picks and draft all DEFENSE besides one RB have a backup plan to Best!

vCash
    I'm typically all for trading back from #5 and getting more picks...but what will those picks yield you???

If you look at Mayhew's draft history outside of the top 5 picks, he's AWFUL!! We're going to trade away another sure shot player for a handful of garbage players never to truly contribute. If we're talking drastic trade, I think it might come in unloading Suh and riding with Fairley as your key DT. Not to mention the bucks it frees up to add pieces to that defense.

They really cornered themselves in this off-season. And unfortunately, with no changes to the front office we're going to be stuck with a lack luster staff working things out. My expectations aren't so high.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    I'm typically all for trading back from #5 and getting more picks...but what will those picks yield you???

If you look at Mayhew's draft history outside of the top 5 picks, he's AWFUL!! We're going to trade away another sure shot player for a handful of garbage players never to truly contribute. If we're talking drastic trade, I think it might come in unloading Suh and riding with Fairley as your key DT. Not to mention the bucks it frees up to add pieces to that defense.

They really cornered themselves in this off-season. And unfortunately, with no changes to the front office we're going to be stuck with a lack luster staff working things out. My expectations aren't so high.
    As much as we need a ton of help, I totally agree.

Is that Te'o dude gonna be there at #5? A stud rookie MLB defensive leader....have we ever had that???

vCash
    As much as we need a ton of help, I totally agree.

Is that Te'o dude gonna be there at #5? A stud rookie MLB defensive leader....have we ever had that???
    He's mocked to being available if that means anything. Seems like the popular choice for the Lions right now is Demontrae Moore, DE from Texas A&M though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    He's mocked to being available if that means anything. Seems like the popular choice for the Lions right now is Demontrae Moore, DE from Texas A&M though.
    Any good DE's available in FA?

It seems like a FA DE would be easier to find than the future leader of your defense.

vCash
    Any good DE's available in FA?

It seems like a FA DE would be easier to find than the future leader of your defense.
    Osi Unmenyiora and Justin Tuck I saw were rumored to be cut a while ago. The biggest names I saw on the F.A. list were Michael Bennett from the Bucs and Michael Johnson from the Bengals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Osi Unmenyiora and Justin Tuck I saw were rumored to be cut a while ago. The biggest names I saw on the F.A. list were Michael Bennett from the Bucs and Michael Johnson from the Bengals.
    2013...the Urlacher & Lewis era is over...the Te'o legacy BEGINS

vCash
    Tulloch or Te'o cant play OLB, Therefore we will not draft Te'o!! Jarvis Jones would be ****ING FANTASTIC IN BLUE AND SILVER IN 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast