Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 218
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,808
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I believe the NY Times reported the returns were 11%, not 18%. Regardless, every year we see teams with mid-range payrolls in the playoffs. Spending is not The Answer. Good scouting and smart spending are The Answers. It is proven each year.
    Spending by itself indeed is not the answer. The Mets themselves taught as that in 1992-3 and consistently throughout the early 2000s.

    But neither is stocking your team with players from the thrift store. At some point, you gotta spend money to win.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,740
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Spending by itself indeed is not the answer. The Mets themselves taught as that in 1992-3 and consistently throughout the early 2000s.

    But neither is stocking your team with players from the thrift store. At some point, you gotta spend money to win.
    No you don't.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,808
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    No you don't.
    Ok.

    But you certainly increase your chances.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    No you don't.
    Show the last team to win the WS entirely with home-grown talent.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok.

    But you certainly increase your chances.
    You were right first time FOC. Don't be subdued by baseball communism.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,119
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Show the last team to win the WS entirely with home-grown talent.
    Not entirely, but the Giants won twice with mostly home-grown pieces.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    301
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Show the last team to win the WS entirely with home-grown talent.
    I can show you dozens and dozens of teams who spent a fortune in in the offseason only to fail to reach .500. You would have had a great time last year as a Florida Marlin fan huh? I bet it would be amusing task to dig up old posts with your opinions of their moves last offseason.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,919
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Show the last team to win the WS entirely with home-grown talent.
    Does anyone expect this team to win a WS with just home grown players?

    You would have to find a pretty naive Met fan to believe that's possible.

    But a good foundation with your own guys is still an important part of winning.

    Ideally i hope this team can turn into the Texas Rangers (it's a longshot obviously) but i would love to have a farm system with that type of depth and the ability to add FA or significant payroll via trade.

    Does it happen? We'll see.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-09-2013 at 10:51 PM.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    18,372
    vCash
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Because of course I'm not referring to right now.
    "Cyclical" and "doing this for years"

    you are not talking about right now.
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    "Cyclical" and "doing this for years"

    you are not talking about right now.
    I am talking about right now...

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Does anyone expect this team to win a WS with just home grown players?

    You would have to find a pretty naive Met fan to believe that's possible.

    But a good foundation with your own guys is still an important part of winning.

    Ideally i hope this team can turn into the Texas Rangers (it's a longshot obviously) but i would love to have a farm system with that type of depth and the ability to add FA or significant payroll via trade.

    Does it happen? We'll see.

    Go back and read clay's answer to FOC.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    I can show you dozens and dozens of teams who spent a fortune in in the offseason only to fail to reach .500. You would have had a great time last year as a Florida Marlin fan huh? I bet it would be amusing task to dig up old posts with your opinions of their moves last offseason.

    Considering there's only one WS winner and (until recently 8 playoff spots) that's hardly a surprise, in fact it's bound to happen...

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Not entirely, but the Giants won twice with mostly home-grown pieces.

    Clay said you don't need to spend top win - at all.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fanofclendennon
    Spending by itself indeed is not the answer. The Mets themselves taught as that in 1992-3 and consistently throughout the early 2000s.

    But neither is stocking your team with players from the thrift store. At some point, you gotta spend money to win.

    No you don't.



    >>>There you go clay's response to FOC. It's bolded so you don't miss it.

    And everyone is getting on me...

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,919
    vCash
    1500
    Nvm...
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-10-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •