Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I mean Heyman has good inside sources and if he says the Mets have money hopefully that is a sign of good things to come.

Waiting out the market on guys like Hairston and Marcum is a good idea too...

If other teams dont bite the Mets can swoop in if they play their cards right.

vCash
    I'm glad to see Heyman's report. Maybe now we'll actually try to add players. If I made a guess, I think the OF comes from a trade of some sort. Idk who, where or what we give up, but that's my guess. The SP and Reliever(s) will come via FA. The FA market is terrible for OF right now, while pitching still has a lot of serviceable players. I would like a guy like Nolan Reimold, or perhaps someone like Reddick or Coco Crisp. I think any of those guys could be solid additions to our OF

vCash

Mets may now be able to afford a Major League Player...

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm reading about the Mets or the national deficit.

Need more revenue!!

Have to cut spending!!

Someone else got us into this spending mess!!

You'll mortgage our future!!

Whatever happened to tastes great vs. less filling??
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    I'm glad to see Heyman's report. Maybe now we'll actually try to add players. If I made a guess, I think the OF comes from a trade of some sort. Idk who, where or what we give up, but that's my guess. The SP and Reliever(s) will come via FA. The FA market is terrible for OF right now, while pitching still has a lot of serviceable players. I would like a guy like Nolan Reimold, or perhaps someone like Reddick or Coco Crisp. I think any of those guys could be solid additions to our OF
    How about a prospect for prospect deal? Do those happen in MLB? If so, why can't we move some of our pitching prospects like Mejia, Fulmer, etc. to a team that needs pitching in their system in exchange for a similarly valued outfielder from their system?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    How about a prospect for prospect deal? Do those happen in MLB? If so, why can't we move some of our pitching prospects like Mejia, Fulmer, etc. to a team that needs pitching in their system in exchange for a similarly valued outfielder from their system?
    Hey I've been saying that for awhile. I would gladly do something like that too. If that's the case, maybe a team like Oakland would match up well with us. Also, Boston with Bryce Brentz would be something I'd definitely look into to
    Last edited by MetsJets0809; 01-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.

vCash
    Been a few sources reports showing that the Mets are waiting for their refund check before discussing their first major league signing of the offseason and food stamps to court that free agent to dinner during negotiations

vCash
    What the price is in dollars or years, the Mets always say they don't want to pay it. If Marcum for ex wanted a buck 50 the Mets would only want to pay a buck.

It's just so transparent and cynical.

They've been doing this for years now, the ONLY time they acquired any talent was when they couldn't overpay fat frank fast enough, and we know why that was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    What the price is in dollars or years, the Mets always say they don't want to pay it. If Marcum for ex wanted a buck 50 the Mets would only want to pay a buck.

It's just so transparent and cynical.

They've been doing this for years now, the ONLY time they acquired any talent was when they couldn't overpay fat frank fast enough, and we know why that was.
    Mike Piazza, Al Leiter, Mike Hampton, Burnitz/Alomar/Vaughn, Carlos Beltran, Pedro Martinez, Carlos Delgado, Tom Glavine, Johan Santana, Billy Wagner etc..

Not sure who the hell fat frank is.
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Mike Piazza, Al Leiter, Mike Hampton, Burnitz/Alomar/Vaughn, Carlos Beltran, Pedro Martinez, Carlos Delgado, Tom Glavine, Johan Santana, Billy Wagner etc..

Frank Fransisco

vCash

Because of course I'm not referring to right now.

vCash

Yes. Each and everyone of those players -- including the etc. -- was brought to us courtesy of Bernie Madoff and his 18-percent Golden Goose and the bottomless well.

Now Bernie is in jail, the Golden Goose is dead, the well has run dry, and in place of all those expensive players are an excess of APHs.

Get used to it.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yes. Each and everyone of those players -- including the etc. -- was brought to us courtesy of Bernie Madoff and his 18-percent Golden Goose and the bottomless well.

Now Bernie is in jail, the Golden Goose is dead, the well has run dry, and in place of all those expensive players are an excess of APHs.

Get used to it.
    Are you just assuming it was his money paying for all of this?

vCash
    Funny how the spending dried up as soon as his money did...despite a pretty favorable judgement considering they were neck deep in it, they still have not paid a cent over, and they're still cutting payroll.

What will this years number be I wonder?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Are you just assuming it was his money paying for all of this?
    The principal was theirs but the return on their investment was not. Clearly the consistent (and otherwise unrealistic) 18 percent returns made them big spenders. They could spend as much as they wanted knowing they'd get it all back and more. What a life!

Once those returns went away they no longer had anything close to the money they thought they did. And since they won't want to spend their principal unless they could be guaranteed of a similar return on their investment, it's highly doubtful they'll ever spend like that again.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Te principal was theirs but the return on their investment was not. Clearly the consistent (and otherwise unrealistic) 18 percent returns made them big spenders. They could spend as much as they wanted knowing they'd get it all back and more. What a life!

Once those returns went away they no longer had anything close to the money they thought they did. And since they won't want to spend their principal unless they could be guaranteed of a similar return on their investment, it's highly doubtful they'll ever spend like that again.
    I believe the NY Times reported the returns were 11%, not 18%. Regardless, every year we see teams with mid-range payrolls in the playoffs. Spending is not The Answer. Good scouting and smart spending are The Answers. It is proven each year.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast