Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Too much stock is put into rankings. In the end does the ranking we recieved fron Callis really mean anything?
    This team is being built for 2014 and beyond. We all know that yet we complain about our front office, and whine about where we are ranked by an outside party.
    Pitching wins rings. Just ask giants fans. And stud minor league pitching we have.

vCash

Callis: Mets System is 18-20 Range

Meh, just about everybody had Davis behind those guys. Guys will be wrong, but is not like Davis has been great and those guys sucked.

vCash

2014 is still too early for this team to be considered a contender by then. Try more like 2016.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    2014 is still too early for this team to be considered a contender by then. Try more like 2016.
    2014 is the 1st season they aren't punting.
    2015-16 is when players in the lower minors will start debuting.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    As for Davis, I still think he's the best of the bunch. And if he remains healthy, he'll prove it emphatically.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash

Hence 2016 should be considered the year when they will likely start contending, and as for Davis goes I think he will be one if the best of that bunch, but he still needs to do it on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Matt Eddy from Baseball America has the Mets in the 10-15 range.

Jim Callis is just one writer at Baseball America.
    Callis doesn't like Puello, A-Rod, and thinks Flores is a tweener.

I posted this topic in the Dickey trade thread, didn't think this warranted its own thread.
    After the Wheeler trade, Callis said the Mets were among the top 5 systems in baseball -- or something like that. He later retracted that statement. I asked him why the gaffe, and he stated he should be more careful with his opinions. Hehe.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

I do not remember him ever saying top 5, top 15 perhaps, but not top5.

vCash
    Considering he ranked them 25 last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I do not remember him ever saying top 5, top 15 perhaps, but not top5.
    I did some research to find out exactly what he said. He said as high as 11th in an Ask BA column, and then BA rated the Mets system 25th that winter. I pressed him and he said he shouldn't speak off the cuff, etc.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-03-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Every time I see these rankings, I just think about one thing.

Justin Smoak vs. Ike Davis

Smoak was supposed to be Make Teixeira and Ike was lucky to be Adam Laroche.

Now look. Mets never have and probably never will get respect.

These rankings don't mean ****.

vCash
    Why are people freakin out about this?? He might be right. I was thinking right now with TDA and Wheeler, we'd be somewhere between 12-15, but once they graduate, our farm will be bad again. Flores even has a chance to lose prospect eligibility this yr and if he does, that makes our farm even worse next yr. Sure some guys will improve but we'd have no other hitters close to the MLB, and our best pitching prospect would be Syndergaard who is also AT LEAST two yrs away, maybe more.

It's our fans that constantly overrate our farm. I can go through a huge list of players that many of you were drooling over within the last few yrs and they've all sucked and were big busts. Fernando Martinez being the most recent one, and Lastings Milledge was another just to name a couple. Some people on here didn't want to trade them for top of the line already proven MLB players when we were discussing it back then. I thought lots of people were crazy on here then and unfortunately I still think that...

I mean, just last night there was a guy on here talking about how they wouldn't make a trade for Stanton if ANY of Tejada, Murphy, or Niese were involved!!! I mean what the hell is wrong with people? That's the most absurd thing ever!! Talk about overrating our players!

Anyways, I like the direction our farm is headed and with another good draft pick this yr, as well as next yr since it'll probably be another high pick, in 2 or 3 yrs if guys like Syndergaard, Cecchini, Nimmo, and our pick this yr and next turn out well, then we may be able to sustain a good farm for multiple yrs..... but our farm has definitely been among the worth over the last several yrs and after TDA and Wheeler are promoted this yr, it's not gonna look very good again, at least for now.

vCash
    Honestly, I couldn't care less about what he says. What I know is we have one of the, if not THE, best pitching prospect - catching prospect in the majors plus more. I'm excited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't care less about what he says. What I know is we have one of the, if not THE, best pitching prospect - catching prospect in the majors plus more. I'm excited.
    Here's the thing, Outside of d'Arnaud the Mets have Cecchini and Nimmo as positional prospects. They have some nice young positional prospects like Evans, Plawecki and Reynolds but quite frankly they don't have much there. They haven't drafted an impact bat since Davis and before that Wright.

As for Flores, he's not an OF prospect because he's slow. He can play 3rd but we just signed David, he could play 1st but our 2nd best positional player plays there. From what I saw, he looked comfortable playing 2nd. He has soft hands and doesn't look awkward around 2nd base. But he is freaking slow, and they let him cheat to be in position for the double play ball. They have to make a decision about him by next off season.

vCash
    Look, in two years, this organization has transformed it’s farm system from an under performing laughing stock to an exceptional example of good scouting and smart trades. This needs to be applauded. Ten players in the top fifteen have been acquired in the past two seasons. That’s tremendous. I doubt many other organizations can say that and back that up with such highly ranked prospects occupying their top list.

The Mets, unless they perform a 2012 Baltimore Orioles miracle, will not contend in 2013. The light at the end of the tunnel isn’t as far away as some think. I never bet against good young pitching, especially the amount of good young pitching the Mets have accumulated. Some of this depth is likely to be traded and the players that the Mets get back, could make this team a contender as early as next year. I promise I haven’t had any wacky tobacky either. They are much closer to contention than you think.
    Here's a quote from Chris Blessings of Bullpen Banter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast