Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Callis: Mets System is 18-20 Range

BaseBall America
    Let me be one of thousands to ask: How would the Mets Top 10 Prospects list be reconfigured with the acquisitions from the R.A. Dickey trade?

Peter Berryman
    Savannah, Ga.

How much has the R.A. Dickey trade improved the Mets farm system? And what would a new Mets Top 10 look like? Give a suffering Mets fan some hope for the future.

Jeremy Sichley
    Silverton, Ore.

After the R.A. Dickey trade, how would the Mets Top 10 now shake out? Is Noah Syndergaard a potential No. 1 starter? How would you rank the Mets system overall?

Scott Jacoby
    New York

After the R.A. Dickey trade, where would the Mets system rank overall?

Rich Panico
    Miller Place, N.Y.

After the R.A. Dickey trade, how would you re-rank the Mets Top 10 Prospects? How much do you think the trade helped their organizational ranking?

Jonathan Rosen
    New York
    Catcher Travis d'Arnaud and righthander Noah Syndergaard were the top two prospects left in the Blue Jays system after Toronto made the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle trade with the Marlins, and now they've gone to the Mets as part of the Dickey package. D'Arnaud is the second-best catching prospect in baseball, behind only Mike Zunino of the Mariners, while Syndergaard is a potential No. 2 starter. They'be be New York's second- and third-best prospects, fitting between righthander Zack Wheeler and shortstop Gavin Cecchini.

Dickey is the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner and strikeout king, but I'm still surprised the Mets were able to extract Syndergaard as the second player in the deal. Adding him and d'Arnaud gives a significant boost to a system that was as thin as any in the National League before the trade. New York still lacks upper-level talent, but the addition of two blue-chip prospects boosts their system into the 18-20 range.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 01-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    lol **** you Callis. 18-20 my ***.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    lol **** you Callis. 18-20 my ***.
    hes not wrong-we are strong pitching wise but lack any ML ready offensive prospects other then d'Arnaud

but the one thing ive learned watching baseball is you can always add a bat pitching is expensive and hard to develop so id prefer to have a lower ranked system because it isnt as well rounded and continue to bring up studs to fill out the rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMETS2889 View Post
    hes not wrong-we are strong pitching wise but lack any ML ready offensive prospects other then d'Arnaud

but the one thing ive learned watching baseball is you can always add a bat pitching is expensive and hard to develop so id prefer to have a lower ranked system because it isnt as well rounded and continue to bring up studs to fill out the rotation
    We are a top 15 farm. We aren't strong in bats at the upper levels, but we have a lot of intriguing bats in the lower levels, and quality pitching flowing everywhere in the system. Our top 3 prospects are as good as any with Wheeler, d'Arnaud, and Syndergaard. Flores is impressive too, but BA doesn't like him anymore.

vCash
    Cecchini sucks balls. I wish people would stop saying he is a better prospect than Nimmo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Cecchini sucks balls. I wish people would stop saying he is a better prospect than Nimmo.

vCash
    I typed in a comment, and erased it because I am no professional minor league scout. It doesn't change the fact that I think Jim Callis is full of ****.

Btw, does that mean the Mets were one of the worst farm systems in all of baseball before the Dickey trade.... I find that hard to believe.

vCash
    Lol. Stuna why freak out about this? Callis is entitled to his opinion. I consider you a knowledgeable poster, and agree with you that we are easily a top 15 farm. Personally I love when guys like him make claims like this because in a year from now, he'll probably be eating his own words in an article that calls the Mets farm one of the best in baseball. Then we get the last laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Lol. Stuna why freak out about this? Callis is entitled to his opinion. I consider you a knowledgeable poster, and agree with you that we are easily a top 15 farm. Personally I love when guys like him make claims like this because in a year from now, he'll probably be eating his own words in an article that calls the Mets farm one of the best in baseball. Then we get the last laugh.
    I'm not freaking out, I just hate the lack of respect we get as a farm system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Considering Callis ranks systems based on how top heavy they are, the Mets will really be hurting a year from now when Wheeler, d'Arnaud, Familia, and potentially Flores lose rookie eligibility. Our young pitching and hitting is going to have to make huge strides next year for our farm to get a good ranking.

vCash
    I wonder how fast Nimmo is going to move up next summer.

Does Syndergaard goes to Georgia to be coached by Viola?
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    We were probably in the 20ish range before the trade, I'd say adding those two moves us more like within the 12-15 range at least..

Maybe he's looking ahead? Since d'Arnaud and Wheeler won't be on the prospect list anymore by seasons end, and unless someone just kills it in the minors this yr and moves into the top 20-30 in all MLB besides possibly Syndergaard, our farm could be very weak again after this season.

It wouldn't make sense for him to rank us that low right now considering TDA and Wheeler are still prospects, but seriously, once they're promoted, plus others like Familia, our farm will most likely be ranked very low again with Syndergaard being our #1 and then a bunch of mid-low level prospects after that unless someone explodes but I don't see anyone close to making that jump yet.

vCash
    Everything I've seen and read of about Cecchini he is at best a Khalil Green/Nick Punto type

vCash
    I'm not freaking out, I just hate the lack of respect we get as a farm system.
    To be honest, it's because our farm system is usually bad. Not just that it's usually not good, it's normally straight up bad, and unfortunately a lot of people on here overrate our prospects terribly.

Have you seen the other thread with multiple people saying stuff like for a trade for Stanton we should offer Familia, Mejia, Flores, Fullmer, Lugares, etc...... thinking that's enough to get it done.

Another guy said he flat out would turn a Stanton trade down if it included ANY of Niese, Tejada, or Murphy... I mean WTF!! How much are people gonna overrate our players???

Anyways, all our number 1 prospects have been failing and falling off the board. Until we finally got Harvey and Wheeler here together, our numbers 1-3 prospects were dropping like flies from year to year. It was like a revolving door. Finally we have Harvey, Wheeler, and TDA and they are all looking like they'll be very good, but after this yr when they are all no longer eligible, our farm really will probably suck once again.....

But that might not be so bad if Harvey, Wheeler, and TDA turn out great. We'll just have to keep building the farm as those other guys continue to get better on the big club.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-03-2013 at 01:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    To be honest, it's because our farm system is usually bad. Not just that it's usually not good, it's normally straight up bad.

All our number 1 guys have been failing and falling off the board. Until we finally got Harvey and Wheeler here together, our numbers 1-3 prospects were dropping like flies from year to year. It was like a revolving door. Finally we have Harvey, Wheeler, and TDA and they are all looking like they'll be very good, but after this yr when they are all no longer eligible, our farm really will probably suck once again.....

But that might not be so bad if Harvey, Wheeler, and TDA turn out great. We'll just have to keep building the farm as those other guys continue to get better on the big club.
    That is assuming no one in our minors get better which won't happen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast