Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox to scout Javier Vazquez friday

According to an industry source, the Red Sox are slated to scout right-hander Javier Vazquez when he pitches for Caguas of the Puerto Rican Winter League on Friday. Vazquez is pitching against Santurce in the third game of the playoffs for Caguas as part of the 12-game round-robin postseason tournament on the island. News of the Sox' scouting undertaking was first reported by @tavonsky (via twitter). The veteran has been showing fastball velocity of 92-93 mph in recent workouts.

Vazquez, 36, last pitched in the big leagues in 2011, when he went 13-11 with a 3.69 ERA in 192 2/3 innings for the Marlins. He struck out 7.6 batters per nine innings while issuing just 2.3 walks per nine. The 14-year veteran has a career 165-160 record and 4.22 ERA, enjoying considerable success with six teams. However, in his only two years in the AL East (pitching for the Yankees in 2004 and then 2010), Vazquez struggled to a 5.09 ERA.

Still, he's been durable, having recorded 14 straight years of at least 25 starts, and he's featured swing-and-miss stuff and good command throughout his career. Though he sat out 2012 in order to spend time at home in Puerto Rico, the right-hander recently told ESPNDeportes.com that he'd like to return for a chance to win a World Series.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...vazquez-friday

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Could be a decent depth signing

vCash
    I thought he retired. He would probably be able to get a starting role somewhere in the NL if he wants to.

vCash
    Can NEVER have to many SP. Sign him up. Worst thing that can happen is he pitches in AAA and teaches our young guys some things.

vCash
    Would be a good signing.

vCash
    "He'd like to return for a chance to win a World Series."

Doesn't that exclude the Red Sox this season?

vCash
    I'm all for it... JV has great stuff and could be effective in an emergency starter role.

vCash
    His previous two stints in the AL East were tremendous.

We remember...

vCash
    alexspeier Per @tavonsky, Javier Vazquez sitting at 93 mph, topping out at 95, for @CriollosCaguas. 6 shutout IP, 4K, 0BB, 3H (all singles).
    Nice! That would be a good if we can sign him

Lester
    Buch
    Lackey
    Dempster
    Vazquez
    Doubront fights for spot or goes to the minors

vCash
    @Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #RedSox, #Rays, #Nationals, #Royals scouted Javier Vazquez in Puerto Rico tonight. Pitched at 93 mph.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    His previous two stints in the AL East were tremendous.
    Wasn't he injured during that 2nd stint? I remember his velocity was really bad that year. He was really good in 2004 until he completely fell apart, I can't remember if that was injury too.

From what I heard he's pitching for PR in the WBC. He's probably going to sign after the WBC with whichever contending team has a rotation injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Nice! That would be a good if we can sign him

Lester
    Buch
    Lackey
    Dempster
    Vazquez
    Doubront fights for spot or goes to the minors
    he went to colon's doctor it seems!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    From what I heard he's pitching for PR in the WBC.
    Correct, he'll be our ace.

vCash
    He'd be our new version of Aaron Cook, Doubront is a definite lock for the rotation.

Whoever said he was hurt in his second stint with NY was dead on. He was pitching in the high 80s which obviously is below his standard. His peripherals across the board were off that year, more than a division change could affect him. I've always been a fan. His first year with the Yankees was pretty good, a bit unlucky with his ERA, but he won them plenty of games. Good guy to have on your team regardless. I would definitely not want him to go to the Rays if I had the chance to sign him instead; especially considering our flexibility. Granted Braden I still think would be a good move too (not a Jurrjens fan).

vCash
    Vasquez would work as a solid 5th starter, better option than Lackey IMO.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast