Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    He was a loud mouth coach. But that doesn't translate to being a motivator. If you constantly get into a verbal/physical dispute with players and they shut you out, you're not motivating at all.
    Who shut him out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise 1 View Post
    Never understood the hate for The Smitch. Was he great? Nope. But he got a lot out of the players. It got a lot worse once he got canned.

How people cant give atleast a little credit to him for players getting better like Jose, or TJ and Bosh is beyond me.

The guy did good for this franchise and didnt exactly look like a fish out of the water like Triano.
    what ??? smitch made calderon, bosh and ford better players

then why wasnt calderon able to become a better defender ? why was tj ford so selfish ?

why did bosh become a black hole ? the ball stuck in bosh's hand and he always took contested jumpers rather then trying to go to the hole strong like he use to do when he was younger... under sam he became the jab/contested jumper king!

smitch catered to bosh the way he is talking about b.c catering to bargs and really didnt use bosh correctly imo. why is it that bosh hated playing the 5 here but is more then happy to oblige when the heat need him to play the 5?

imagine bosh moved to the 5 and bargs played his more natural position at the 4 along side him. we all know bosh is the better rebounder and defender in the post so why not ? maybe that would have worked better then having bargs try and play the 5 and 3 when we all knew that he is a finess 4..

plus smitch was whiny, he had terrible body language, he didnt carry himself well with the media, he kept short leashes on young players, and he was def extreamly lucky to have coached a decent roster in a very very very week atlantic division at the time.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 01-03-2013 at 07:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    stop pretending to have knowledge that you couldn't possibly possess on this. the arrogance in this post is incredible, particularly the bolded points.
    I guess you will find what you are looking for. It's not hard to see that Smitch did little for the team or for any individual players. That's not arrogance, that's just observation. I mean seriously, the team sucked and was backsliding for most of his tenure. It's not "pretending to have knowledge" lol when everyone knew his playbook was dead simple and no players really developed under him. What did he really do? Run ISOs for Bosh? Get Jamario Moon and TJ Ford to take ill-advised 3 pointers? The team was a mess and went nowhere after 2007. The leaders on the team brought their skills to the team, that's why we saw improvement in 2007. The young players did little developing, whether we're talking about Joey Graham, Rafer Alston, MoPete, or Andrea Bargnani. That shouldn't be news to anyone. He depended on motivation, not ball IQ. You can only learn so much from a coach like that.

vCash
    faith? no. but i don't pretend to be witness to what goes on privately between coach and player.
    That wasn't the point of the post.

But come to think of it, you guys who claim to know that coaches let Bargnani do nothing are the ones pretending to be witnesses to things you don't know about. You don't know what Triano or Casey or Maurizio or Colangelo did or didn't do behind closed doors when dealing with Bargnani.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    He definitely did great with some of the players on the team. I always saw him as a great motivator. I think his "analysis" has often been overly simplistic and I wonder if he has the ability to teach lower IQ players, but he got a lot out of players like Garbo, Rasho, AP along with the guys you've mentioned.

Although it is interesting that he hasn't gotten another head coaching job.
    Garbo, Rasho, and AP are the types that don't need a lot of coaching. THAT's why they did well under his tenure. IMO they did more for him than he did for them, bringing their veteran abilities to a team with a coach weak in Xs and Os.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I guess you will find what you are looking for. It's not hard to see that Smitch did little for the team or for any individual players. That's not arrogance, that's just observation. I mean seriously, the team sucked and was backsliding for most of his tenure. It's not "pretending to have knowledge" lol when everyone knew his playbook was dead simple and no players really developed under him. What did he really do? Run ISOs for Bosh? Get Jamario Moon and TJ Ford to take ill-advised 3 pointers? The team was a mess and went nowhere after 2007. The leaders on the team brought their skills to the team, that's why we saw improvement in 2007. The young players did little developing, whether we're talking about Joey Graham, Rafer Alston, MoPete, or Andrea Bargnani. That shouldn't be news to anyone. He depended on motivation, not ball IQ. You can only learn so much from a coach like that.
    wow. you sure are arrogant for someone who never spent a day behind the scenes with the Raptors where 90% of coaching is actually done. just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    fyi backsliding - that's what we've been doing ever since he left. so to give him zero credit when we had our best results under his watch is pathetic.

raps in 2006-2007: 47-35
    raps in 2007-2008: 41-41

WOW. what a backslide that is.

and Raps since - roughly 100 games under .500

LOLOLOL
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 01-03-2013 at 07:54 PM.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    fyi backsliding - that's what we've been doing ever since he left. so to give him zero credit when we had our best results under his watch is pathetic.

LOLOLOL
    until mitchell we were built for the playoffs

afterwards we were built for rebuilding. theres a difference

Yeah Sam really cuddled Bargnani

when GM bryan colangelo pulled the Jermaine O'Neal trade, who do you think had a say in it? Sam Mitchell, and BC listened and pulled the trigger knowing that this would mean another 2 years of Bargnani on the bench, even though he already spent his rook and sophomore season on the bench, so if JO filled out then that would mean Sam Mitchell would've had Bargnani 4 years on the bench. Is that cuddling your 1st overall pick as Sam Mitchell makes it out to be.

I remember a lot of us wanted Sam Mitchell to stop putting Bargnani under the bus? Because that is what "Smitch" does. He never liked rookies and he gave them a hard time, like he did with Jose Calderon

This more sounds like Sam Mitchell making excuses and subtly blaming Bargnani for his failures. It would make sense if Sam Mitchell said that about Bargnani now, but to say that he had to cuddle Bargnani during his tenure is a lie and an excuse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    until mitchell we were built for the playoffs

afterwards we were built for rebuilding. theres a difference

Yeah Sam really cuddled Bargnani

when GM bryan colangelo pulled the Jermaine O'Neal trade, who do you think had a say in it? Sam Mitchell, and BC listened and pulled the trigger knowing that this would mean another 2 years of Bargnani on the bench, even though he already spent his rook and sophomore season on the bench, so if JO filled out then that would mean Sam Mitchell would've had Bargnani 4 years on the bench. Is that cuddling your 1st overall pick as Sam Mitchell makes it out to be.

I remember a lot of us wanted Sam Mitchell to stop putting Bargnani under the bus? Because that is what "Smitch" does. He never liked rookies and he gave them a hard time, like he did with Jose Calderon

This more sounds like Sam Mitchell making excuses and subtly blaming Bargnani for his failures. It would make sense if Sam Mitchell said that about Bargnani now, but to say that he had to cuddle Bargnani during his tenure is a lie and an excuse
    re-read the article. it doesn't say anything about Sam having to spoon with Bargnani.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise 1 View Post
    Who shut him out?
    Guys like Carter, Alston, Humpries, Bargnani, Williams, etc have not gotten along with Mitchell and some reported that it caused disgruntlement between the coach and those players.

vCash
    Guys like Carter, Alston, Humpries, Bargnani, Williams, etc have not gotten along with Mitchell and some reported that it caused disgruntlement between the coach and those players.
    williams?

vCash
    williams?
    I was referring to Eric Williams. But I just found out Williams requested a trade for other reasons (I thought he requested a trade because he had issues with Mitchell).

vCash
    I was referring to Eric Williams. But I just found out Williams requested a trade for other reasons (I thought he requested a trade because he had issues with Mitchell).
    can i just point out that all the players you listed are sorta noted prima donnas. i don't think it's surprising that players like that would have their feathers ruffled, and it's not necessarily bad if they did.

vCash

LOLOLOL
    have you forgotten how weak the atlantic was? have you forgotten how weak the east was over all at the time ? we won a division title with 47 wins lol

could it be that B.C actually constructed a pretty good roster in comparison to the rest of the division??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    have you forgotten how weak the atlantic was? have you forgotten how weak the east was over all at the time ? we won a division title with 47 wins lol

could it be that B.C actually constructed a pretty good roster in comparison to the rest of the division??
    do you remember who was on that team? chances are you do not because 14 of the 18 players on our team that year are out of the NBA now.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast