Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    Help the team win more games.

As a utility player, Boni has a chance to add a lot of value off the bench by being a higher-calibre back-up than this team has trotted out in the backup infield/PR situations recently. He will get ample opportunities to produce at 2B/3B/SS/LF/CF. If he instead starts full time in CF, yes, he might produce a bit more value than a struggling Rasmus. But that then relegates Rasmus to being a 5th OF (with more-or-less zero opportunity to add value) and gives those same backup opportunities to a guy like Mike McCoy.
    Trade value too, because if Rasmus has a year like 2010, you can get a decent return (I'm not sure about his contract situation though), and transition to Gose. Or sign him to a long term contract and trade Gose for something good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    No, our lineup is not better without him.
    If Rasmus can be consistent all year, then it's a major bonus. If he does what he did last year and in spurts shows how good he can be then our lineup is still better with him.

Rasmus has as much potential as anyone, but he's sort of a bone head. I still would want him to be our every day CF unless Gose dramtically gets better with the stick, then Rasmus can be trade bait.
    i know potential and all but he has been terrible as a jay besides one good month...

vCash
    I would use Rasmus in CF against righties for his defense, but if Lind struggles I would use Bonifacio as the primary DH and utilize his versatility by rotating him through the positions and instead of giving Reyes and Bautista and others days off, give them DH days to keep them from running around on the turf playing defense everyday. I would also consider sitting Rasmus vs lefties and putting Davis at DH and one of Boni or Melky in center and left field. We would have a lot of speed at the bottom and top of the order and better OBP than Lind can provide. It's just an idea, but I really think that DHing through rotation can work.....assuming Lind doesn't magically improve during a contract year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Bonifacio at DH? Bonifacio playing everyday? Are people forgetting his just not a good hitter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsjaysfan88 View Post
    ha its ironic, thats exactly what we have done with colby, he's been a 220avg
    290obp for 2 yrs now. atleast boni's bad year were his avg, steals and obp were still better then rasmus was because of injuries. boni also has gotten better every year, except last years injury plagued season. colbys trending towards lind territory.
    People have said Colby will be good based on his age, prospect pedigree, and track record, including 2010. Seems fair to me. Now they're changing they're minds because of 2 straight crappy years. Again, fair. I don't see anyone saying that Colby is gonna put up another .360 OBP season next year, which is what the OP did with Bonifacio and what I objected to. Bonifacio has one season where he's got on enough to compensate for his complete lack of power, so no, I don't see how his bad years were better than Colby's either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Bonifacio at DH? Bonifacio playing everyday? Are people forgetting his just not a good hitter?
    umm 2011 293avg 360 obp isnt a good hitter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    How is he not a good hitter? He was just injured last year. He hit 296. in a full season with Florida two years ago and he's still young. He has the speed to turn singles into doubles.

Not saying he will be DH that is not gonna happen but he's not a bad hitter by any means.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    u gotta play rasmus still, he has bust out 30hr .260+ potential...same with lind and jpa this year

9. 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM

vCash
    Looking at Bonifacio, that .296 sure looks like the outlier compared to the rest of his career. Granted, he certainly has the speed to turn out a huge BABIP in any given year, it's just not something I'd want to bank on. Colby's just the better hitter right now, even if we're taking the low-end estimate and calling him a ~90 wRC+ guy. Not sure how Bonifacio would fare defensively in center fulltime, but the safe bet there is on Rasmus as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Looking at Bonifacio, that .296 sure looks like the outlier compared to the rest of his career. Granted, he certainly has the speed to turn out a huge BABIP in any given year, it's just not something I'd want to bank on. Colby's just the better hitter right now, even if we're taking the low-end estimate and calling him a ~90 wRC+ guy. Not sure how Bonifacio would fare defensively in center fulltime, but the safe bet there is on Rasmus as well.
    boni has a better career avg and obp.. so rasmus is not the better hitter, more power but not the better hitter.

vCash
    Whatever, you keep debating semantics, I'll focus on who the more productive offensive player is. Right now, safe money is on Colby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    Help the team win more games.

As a utility player, Boni has a chance to add a lot of value off the bench by being a higher-calibre back-up than this team has trotted out in the backup infield/PR situations recently. He will get ample opportunities to produce at 2B/3B/SS/LF/CF. If he instead starts full time in CF, yes, he might produce a bit more value than a struggling Rasmus. But that then relegates Rasmus to being a 5th OF (with more-or-less zero opportunity to add value) and gives those same backup opportunities to a guy like Mike McCoy.
    I'm fine with that. I think Bone Face will be a killer Super Utility for us.

As far as trade value...I don't care about trade value if it comes at the expense of fielding the best possible team.

This team has the talent to be HUGE. Imagine if the lineup plays to its potential...Lawrie, Rasmus, JPA...he'll, even Lind. Of course it never works out way...but the talent is absolutely there.

So exciting.

vCash
    I'll say it again. Boni on turf might equal that 360 obp that Rasmus can only dream about at this point.

Obviously we all want Rasmus to mash and Gose to figure it out, so next offseason we can trade Rasmus and get back D'arnaud and Syndi....heh

vCash
    We never got Boni to be our full time CF. Rasmus is now part of a team where there is close to an all star at every position.....if that doesn't motivate him then nothing will....don't forget we dropped the dead-weight Murphy and now have Motolla as hitting coach. I believe we will see a breakout season from him.

vCash
    Yeah I think Motolla being the hitting coach, a new face will help out Rasmus. Don't quote me on this but I had heard a few times Murphy and Rasmus didn't really mesh and he didn't like listening to Murphy.

Not saying Rasmus will all of a sudden hit 320. but hell it's at least good a fresh face like Motolla will be here as the hitting coach.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast