Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pop loves jackson's attitude

POP LOVES JACKSON'S ATTITUDE
    Written by Jose Grijalva

The San Antonio Spurs were called "soft" for many years, especially once Stephen Jackson left the team during the summer of 2003.

They were a tough defensive team, but didn't show much "attitude" in any way. In fact, they were so humble people referred to them as "boring."

With a full training camp and preseason under him, Jackson has rejoined the Spurs and has brought that much needed attitude that they've desperately missed since their defensive players left. Gregg Popovich knows that Jackson has supplied something different this year (via Star-Telegram.com)

"I love his sense of humor and I love his competitiveness, he gives us a little bit of an edge."

This is the toughness he's brought to all his teams, the most evident was the Golden State Warriors in 2007. They played an undersized game against a taller Dallas Mavericks team and it was the Warriors who pushed the taller Mavs around that series that they eventually won.

His versatility added with his attitude is what makes him irreplaceable on a team that's looking to win a fifth title this year.

He isn't just a guard-forward for the Spurs, but can switch to the power forward position and give his opposing big man a run for their money on defense and offense.

The Spurs tried this formula with another small forward they acquired in 2010 in Richard Jefferson, but he didn't show the same intensity or passion Jackson does. He may play with a passion, but he brings something that no other Spurs player does: he'll tell you about it. If he has something to tell you, he'll let you have it unlike the other quiet Spurs players.

His tough talk, in person or online since he's always social networking, is what makes the Spurs different from every other year. His teammates know not to fear on a drive or hard foul because he's got their back, just ask Serge Ibaka. That's an attribute that Popovich loves, but Pop knows this is something different than he's had to deal with:

"Jack's a pain in the (butt),...look at him, all he does is twitters." Star-Telegram.com

Popovich isn't a guy who endorses the spotlight much, especially if it gets his team negative publicity, but this is perhaps the attitude that's given life to the old legs of the Spurs' core in this last title run they're making. Tony Parker is playing at an MVP level, Manu Ginobili is still playing like Manu, and most importantly, Tim Duncan is playing like the Tim Duncan of old. You could probably describe Duncan playing "vintage", like how he played the last time he was teammates with Stephen Jackson.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...-attitude.html

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    This is one of the biggest reasons I feel that trading Jack would be a mistake. Even though he is our biggest trade asset (huge expiring), Jack gives us toughness. In the WCF against OKC Jack was the only Spur who I felt didn't **** the bed. We know that we will get captain Jacks best in the PO and for that he's not worth trading IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSpurs23 View Post
    This is one of the biggest reasons I feel that trading Jack would be a mistake. Even though he is our biggest trade asset (huge expiring), Jack gives us toughness. In the WCF against OKC Jack was the only Spur who I felt didn't **** the bed. We know that we will get captain Jacks best in the PO and for that he's not worth trading IMO.
    That's fine, but then people need to stop talking about our need to make a trade. All I hear is that Gino and Jax and Splitter are untouchable but then we need to make a major move. When you take away all our trade assets we have nothing to work with. No one wants Bonner or Blair and Neal's contract is so little it can't bring back anything. Are we willing to move Green. I am fine not making a trade, but I am also fine with the team we have. People need to make a decision, are they fine with our team as a strong playoff team now or are they willing to trade away our chances now for a shot at something later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    That's fine, but then people need to stop talking about our need to make a trade. All I hear is that Gino and Jax and Splitter are untouchable but then we need to make a major move. When you take away all our trade assets we have nothing to work with. No one wants Bonner or Blair and Neal's contract is so little it can't bring back anything. Are we willing to move Green. I am fine not making a trade, but I am also fine with the team we have. People need to make a decision, are they fine with our team as a strong playoff team now or are they willing to trade away our chances now for a shot at something later.
    Was this directed towards me, because I have never once said that the Spurs need to make a trade. I believe that we are a much better team than we were last year. Part of that is due too....

Tim Duncan has found the fountain of youth
    Manu Ginobili seems to be 100% healthy.
    Tony Parker has been playing at a high level
    Danny Green plays much better at SG, offensively and defensively
    Tiago Splitter in the starting line up has improved the defense... a lot
    Kawhi Leonard's defense

Even if we were to package Jax+ Fillers for a player I can't see a realistic trade that would "put us over the top"

vCash
    Was this directed towards me, because I have never once said that the Spurs need to make a trade. I believe that we are a much better team than we were last year. Part of that is due too....

Kawhi Leonard's defense

Even if we were to package Jax+ Fillers for a player I can't see a realistic trade that would "put us over the top"
    I agree. Not to mention OKC lost Harden, so that kind of hurts them a little even though they're still winning games. We do need another big, but maybe it's something we'll get lucky with like when we got Diaw. We really need him to play aggressively and not so passive all the time.

Jack is very important to the culture of this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    I agree. Not to mention OKC lost Harden, so that kind of hurts them a little even though they're still winning games. We do need another big, but maybe it's something we'll get lucky with like when we got Diaw. We really need him to play aggressively and not so passive all the time.Jack is very important to the culture of this team.

Good point about OKC. The loss of Harden really helped the Spurs. He pretty much killed us last year. K-Mart has a history of going off on us but I like our chances against him instead! Not to mention you can always count on Westbrick to screw up a game or two!

Diaw IMO is coasting, he has been playing pretty good lately. While the passiveness is still there he has been shooting more when he's open. As long as he can stay in shape I think he will come to play once the PO arrive. With that said we can't go into the PO with only 3 reliable bigs. Bonner can't be trusted when April rolls around, and Blair just sucks.

vCash

Kawhi Leonard's defense

Sorry, it wasn't directed specifically at you. I was more commenting on the fact that some people keep talking about Jax value but then turn around and talk about getting a solid big. We can't do both, that was my point. I completely agree with you that we stand pat, that even means Blair. We spend this year as a comfortable year where we rely on familiarity and skill one last time and then change things up the next two years.