Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    No, we won't be competitive.

This is going to be a team of underachievers, AAAA players, guys trying to establish themselves and the Las Vegas (whatever their name is) team shuttling back and forth to the bigs.

The guys they have brought in are totally worthless, they may as well have not bothered.

The Mets could set the record for number of players used this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    The 2012 payroll was $94 million.

Bay is only getting $6 million of the total $21 million he would have been owed over the full 2013 season. That's a $15 million decrease in actual money paid out to the payroll in 2013.

They are saving $3 million in deferred 2013 money from David Wright.

That's $18 million right there. Even with the additional increases in arbitration pay raises I don't see how the present payroll is anywhere close to $90 million.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

The Mets have talked about flexibility, but the flexibility they're talking about is the flex to move payroll over to 2014, so they can pay less money out in 2013.

vCash
    The Mets aren’t done for the winter after completing the trade with the Jays, correct?

Correct.

After all, if the season began today -- it doesn’t -- the lineup would look something like this:

Ruben Tejada, ss -- $500,000
    Daniel Murphy, 2b -- $3 million (estimate)
    David Wright, 3b -- $11 million
    Ike Davis, 1b -- $2.8 million (estimate)
    John Buck, c -- $6 million
    Lucas Duda, lf -- $500,000
    Mike Baxter, rf -- $500,000
    Kirk Nieuwenhuis, cf -- $500,000

The bench might include:

Anthony Recker, c -- $500,000
    Justin Turner, if -- $500,000
    Jordany Valdespin, if/of -- $500,000
    Brandon Hicks, if -- $500,000
    Brian Bixler, if/of -- $500,000

Rotation:

Jon Niese, lhp -- $3 million
    Matt Harvey, rhp -- $500,000
    Johan Santana, lhp -- $31 million
    Dillon Gee, rhp -- $500,000
    Jenrry Mejia, rhp -- $500,000

Bullpen:

Frank Francisco, closer -- $6.5 million
    Bobby Parnell -- $1.5 million (estimate)
    Josh Edgin -- $500,000
    Robert Carson -- $500,000
    Jeurys Familia -- $500,000
    Jeremy Hefner -- $500,000
    Elvin Ramirez (or minor league free agent: Scott Rice, Carlos Torres, Greg Burke) -- $500,000

So what’s the payroll?

There are different ways to compute payroll, but I’m told by a team insider the logical way to calculate it for public consumption is the year the salary is originally intended, even if money is deferred. (Other ways are totaling the average annual values of each contract, which is the luxury-tax standard, as well as simply how much cash is spent.)

For our method, Wright’s 2013 figure is $11 million for a payroll calculation -- the contract figure, even though $3 million is deferred. Jason Bay’s entire $21 million is still assigned to 2013, even though the Mets’ actual outlay this year is believed now to be only $6 million. And $31 million is assigned for Santana, which includes $25.5 million in salary and a $5.5 million buyout of 2014.

The payroll figure we calculate will estimate the figures of Davis, Murphy and Parnell, who are eligible for arbitration. (We’ll use the MLBtraderumors.com projections.)

We’ll use $500,000 for all the players not yet eligible for arbitration, since that’s a simple and round number and reasonable approximation.

We’ll also have to subtract some money the Jays reportedly are sending the Mets to cover Buck’s contract. Let’s arbitrarily say the Jays send $4 million, making Buck a $2 million player for the Mets.

That yields a total payroll in 2013, including Bay, of $90.3 million. (Remember, that’s NOT cash outlay; that’s money assigned to 2013.)

Mets officials consistently insist -- one did again this weekend -- the payroll can go up in 2013, compared with the roughly $95 million in 2012. The reason it may not, they insist, is because free agents are priced beyond what they are worth.

A team insider projected no contract of more than $10 million would be awarded by the Mets during the remainder of this offseason, but that the Mets would be primed to make those types of offers in a year if warranted. That means scratch off free-agent Michael Bourn from your wish list.

Let’s face it, though: The Mets are going to add one or two righty-hitting outfielders to the lineup during the remainder of the offseason. The outfield lineup listed above (Duda, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter) will not be starting on Opening Day -- not all three, anyway.

That could mean Scott Hairston or Cody Ross is signed as a free agent, although they’ll be judged against their price tag, not strictly on which is better. Or it could mean a yet-to-be-realized trade could bring back an outfielder -- potentially with a salary commitment attached.

As for pitching arms, the Mets are content to wait out the market and scoop up lower-priced players in January who might prove valuable relative to their price, as they have done with Chris Capuano and Chris Young in previous offseasons.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...now-whats-next

vCash
    Thanks Stuna.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I feel for you guys, especially after the Dickey deal. Never really followed the Mets before that but have been researching since.

Help me out though, some are saying that ownership got hurt by the Madoff scam but isn't it true that the didn't pay back the profits they recieved?

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?...8&city=newyork

Hey, on the bright side, you guys got two really good prospects from that trade.

vCash
    Thought this said females in the seats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Thought this said females in the seats.
    Nope. The females are for our laps.

vCash
    So that's $90 million including a full roster of the current people, Jason Bay's entire obligation and Wright's entire obligation.

Meaning, the actual cash being paid in 2013 is about $72 million, assuming a complete roster without any more expensive players added.

Because in reality, $18 million dollars are not actually being paid to Bay and Wright this year.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    I am surprised that Paulie allowed you to use a picture of his girl friend as your signature.
    LOL!

I am in debt to him.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    [B]

>>>>It's @ $33M, but that's with TWO players paid for. You're dreaming if you think there's a lot of spending on the way.
    Well I am not saying the Mets are going to go out on a huge spending spree and hand out a bunch of long term contracts. But I think it is fair to assume that at least 2 position will be filled via Free Agency. I would guess both spots come in the OF. Bullpen really is a crap shoot, and I wouldn't be quick to hand out 10 million dollar deals for BP help. Signing a bunch of low risk high reward guys could be just as rewarding.

If the Mets were to not spend any money next year, you're looking at a payroll of around what, 50 million? Of course that is after arbitration eligible players etc. I fully expect to see a Mets payroll of 100 million come Opening Day 2014 OR 2015. All depends really what FA has to offer.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    Well I am not saying the Mets are going to go out on a huge spending spree and hand out a bunch of long term contracts. But I think it is fair to assume that at least 2 position will be filled via Free Agency. I would guess both spots come in the OF. Bullpen really is a crap shoot, and I wouldn't be quick to hand out 10 million dollar deals for BP help. Signing a bunch of low risk high reward guys could be just as rewarding.

If the Mets were to not spend any money next year, you're looking at a payroll of around what, 50 million? Of course that is after arbitration eligible players etc. I fully expect to see a Mets payroll of 100 million come Opening Day 2014 OR 2015. All depends really what FA has to offer.

There's $33M already spent in 2014, with only TWO players paid for, you do know that right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Nope. The females are for our laps.
    More like females in Paulie's lap.

vCash
    Let’s face it, though: The Mets are going to add one or two righty-hitting outfielders to the lineup during the remainder of the offseason. The outfield lineup listed above (Duda, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter) will not be starting on Opening Day -- not all three, anyway.

>>>Are they though?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    So that's $90 million including a full roster of the current people, Jason Bay's entire obligation and Wright's entire obligation.

Meaning, the actual cash being paid in 2013 is about $72 million, assuming a complete roster without any more expensive players added.

Because in reality, $18 million dollars are not actually being paid to Bay and Wright this year.

They just want to run a cheaper team, they lost over $20M last year on a payroll of around $95-$100M, no surprise that they're after paying out around $20M less this year...

The $18M already severely handicaps the spending spree that the Sandy cultists think is coming in 2014, and let's not forget that barring a miracle the Mets revenues will fall again.

Oh, and let's throw in what they had to refinance $450M to meet operating costs yesterday...

But, apparently the real reason they're not improving the team is because there's no-one in the world that is any better at baseball than who they currently have, and they're just saving up to spend like crazy because the calendar says Oct 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Letís face it, though: The Mets are going to add one or two righty-hitting outfielders to the lineup during the remainder of the offseason. The outfield lineup listed above (Duda, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter) will not be starting on Opening Day -- not all three, anyway.

>>>Are they though?
    Andrew Brown and Collin Cowgill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast