Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ryan Mallett

vCash
    IMO it doesn't seem likely Mallett to the Browns for a 1st or 2nd is in the cards. They have spent 2 1st's and a
    3rd on Qb's since 07. On top of that look how Qb's coming off big year or a big one game for that matter have done IE Cassel and Flynn. Kolb is another example of a seen Qb that hasn't worked out. Mallett hasn't done anything yet, not that he couldn't. There could be a number of seen FA Qb's and to gamble a 1 or 2 on an unseen after just drafting a Qb in the first last year seems a long shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by captmike View Post
    IMO it doesn't seem likely Mallett to the Browns for a 1st or 2nd is in the cards. They have spent 2 1st's and a
    3rd on Qb's since 07. On top of that look how Qb's coming off big year or a big one game for that matter have done IE Cassel and Flynn. Kolb is another example of a seen Qb that hasn't worked out. Mallett hasn't done anything yet, not that he couldn't. There could be a number of seen FA Qb's and to gamble a 1 or 2 on an unseen after just drafting a Qb in the first last year seems a long shot.
    They have a new offense, and Mallet fits it better than Weeden, plus the their VP of Personal has come out and said that both Hoyer and Mallet should be NFL starters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    They have a new offense, and Mallet fits it better than Weeden, plus the their VP of Personal has come out and said that both Hoyer and Mallet should be NFL starters
    Lombardi sounds like he has a hard-on for Mallett

vCash
    I'm hearing rumors of a Mallett for #6 type of deal. Thats gotta be BS, but how about a Spikes/Mallett/#29 for #6/2013 6th/2014 3rd?

vCash
    I got crap for saying Brady was probably going to be done after 2015 last week in this thread, well.... I'd say BB has to get the heir in here in the draft/FA class of '13 or '14. It's not Mallett.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    The 2014 Class is better than 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by se247042 View Post
    The 2014 Class is better than 2013
    That's what they say. This year we need:

DT (Starter level talent)
    OT (ditto - if Vollmer isn't signed)
    cover LB
    S (Chung is gone)
    CB (why not)
    back-up slot (since either Welker or Edelman is gone)
    Z WR: if Welker stays a couple of retread vets for camp - if Welker goes, one will be good and AH will play more Z WR.

A mix of draft and FA picks, doesn't seem to be room for a QB. Like to deal Mallett for a pick, and try again in the 2014 draft.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I got crap for saying Brady was probably going to be done after 2015 last week in this thread, well.... I'd say BB has to get the heir in here in the draft/FA class of '13 or '14. It's not Mallett.
    How does 1 playoff game suggest Bradys imminent departure? If you are talking of developing a guy for 3-4 years fine. Thats what we discussed and I still agree that picking that type of long range prospect is suitable. Most would think that a pocket style QB should develop quicker than that, but i guess a little overlap between bradys end and replacement QBs "ready to start window" couldnt hurt. As you stated upthread, this is probably going to be highly costly, less so if you went with a later round QB as you are suggesting. Thats one school of thought; another would be to wait a year or two and pick a more ready, high profile prospect to intersect with bradys last year. I think the timing of you bringing this up is curious however. Seems more of a a stick-a-fork-in 'em statement than I would expect given his track record and recent success. No doubt his recent playoff performances have been far off the tracks in terms of early career, and agreed that mallet isnt the fix. But you are still looking at one of the top 3 reg season QBs (some would argue best) as of this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rollins94 View Post
    How does 1 playoff game suggest Bradys imminent departure?
    Let's examine the problems and the symptoms that have brought me to my conclusions.

Brady's Problems:

* the damaged knee from 2008 and ongoing age/hits

* the six (or more) scopes of his shoulder to remove spurs and tighten things up since 2008.

Symptoms:

* That game was a symptom, one of several we've had the past few years. In this game he was confused on his timeouts, slow to run for several first downs he could have had in 2007. As things got worse, he wasn't able to rally the troops, and his passing wasn't as good as it was most year - indicating the defensive pressure got to him (or perhaps that his shoulder was a mess).

Against the Giants last year in the SB he was what 20 for 24 at one point, but then he got hurt (something that happens to aging QB's), and that game was over.

In 7 of his last 9 playoff games since the Jax 1st round game in 2007 he has done poorly or average, only having two outstanding games. That seems like a trend of some sort - not all Brady's fault of course, but still a trend.

* this year he was 29th in the NFL in passing accuracy over 15 yards. He also did poorly in '11 and '10 I believe as well.

If you are talking of developing a guy for 3-4 years fine. Thats what we discussed and I still agree that picking that type of long range prospect is suitable. Most would think that a pocket style QB should develop quicker than that, but i guess a little overlap between bradys end and replacement QBs "ready to start window" couldnt hurt.
    I never said it would take 3-4 years to get the heir ready. I said that Brady as an elite QB is done as of the end of '14, and that '15 or perhaps '16 would be when he retires.

As you stated upthread, this is probably going to be highly costly, less so if you went with a later round QB as you are suggesting. Thats one school of thought; another would be to wait a year or two and pick a more ready, high profile prospect to intersect with bradys last year.
    If they identify the QB they want, it won't really matter that they get him in the exact year, unless they get the #1 pick, and I'm not sure about that as a real possibility. It would be inefficient to sit on a #1 pick and Brady - like Manning and Luck.

I think the timing of you bringing this up is curious however. Seems more of a a stick-a-fork-in 'em statement than I would expect given his track record and recent success. No doubt his recent playoff performances have been far off the tracks in terms of early career, and agreed that mallet isnt the fix. But you are still looking at one of the top 3 reg season QBs (some would argue best) as of this year.
    Your summary statement is worthless since it's based on incorrect attribution of motive and data on your part. Brady is a brilliant QB - one of the greatest ever, but not only is he on the back nine, he's between hole #15 and #16 - according to my data (history of NFL QB's, his health), observations (his ducking from shadows this year while he was trying to pass for one thing) leading to my projections.

Nothing in your arguments in this thread are compelling enough for me to change my mind. You are free of course to disagree.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-23-2013 at 08:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    That's what they say. This year we need:

DT (Starter level talent)
    OT (ditto - if Vollmer isn't signed)

cover LB
    S (Chung is gone)
    CB (why not)
    back-up slot (since either Welker or Edelman is gone)
    Z WR: if Welker stays a couple of retread vets for camp - if Welker goes, one will be good and AH will play more Z WR.

A mix of draft and FA picks, doesn't seem to be room for a QB. Like to deal Mallett for a pick, and try again in the 2014 draft.
    Too much emphasis has been placed on upgrading skilled positions with the team's high picks, IMO -- I agree BB should instead keep building up both lines. You can never go wrong there.

But to your point above ^, if Brady's age proves to a big determinant going forward, I'd like to examine ways of upgrading the running game through more inexpensive means (or perhaps an upgraded OL will make Ridley & Vereen better). With an aging QB, it seems like a good time to let some young RB's carry the load.... I'm just weary of Ridley's fumbling and BB's trust in him during big games....

Brady has set career-highs in passing attempts these past two seasons. The short & precise routes are effective, but against physical teams more passes = more opportunity for our receivers to get pounded ... especially when the rules loosen in the postseason. So, if any high picks (rounds 1-3) are devoted to skilled positions, I'd like to see a physical receiver on the outside and move slightly away from the "death by 1,000 papercuts" scheme.
    Last edited by elements1985; 01-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I personally think the running/mobile QB trend is just that -- a trend which will inevitably die out -- but it's interesting how, in a league where athletic QB's are gaining eminence, Mallett would be seriously valued. He's got terrible pocket presence IMO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234