Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Deron Williams: Constant playing has worn me down!

Deron Williams was unimpressive Monday against Tony Parker and the Spurs — he was 3-of-11 shooting, finishing with eight points, one assist and he was a -35 in a game the Nets lost by 31.
    It really fits with a season where he is shooting 39.9 percent overall, 30 percent from three and has a PER five points below his last season in Utah.
    What is going on? Williams has a series of nagging injuries (particularly a wrist injury) and GM Billy King suggested that playing two straight years — going to Turkey during the lockout then winning gold with Team USA at the London Olympics this summer — has taken its toll on his body. Williams basically agreed with that talking to the New York Daily News.
    “I didn’t take any time off. After last season, I never stopped working out. After the Olympics, the day I got back I worked out the next morning,” Williams said. “I thought it was the best thing to do, and now looking back, it probably would have been smarter to take some time off and get a little bit of rest, especially on my legs, and my ankles in general.
    “I took a lot of pounding over the last year because even though we had a shortened season, I was over in Istanbul, so I haven’t had a break since before then. I felt like I could handle it, and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to get out of shape. I wanted to just keep going.”
    To which a lot of Nets fans, as well as Nets ownership, would say “tough cookies.” (Well, they wouldn’t say cookies but I can’t print the word they would use.)
    He chose to play in Turkey and with Team USA. He has a brand new max deal. While maybe the Nets should try and find a way to get him a little rest, Williams is lying in a bed he made.
    The Nets are a long ways from good and no coach — not Phil Jackson, not anyone — turns this roster into a contender. But the first job for the new coach, whoever it ends up being, is to get Williams turned around. Good luck with that.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...worn-him-down/

Does he have a point or is this another excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Man up.

vCash
    This is feeling like an endless parade of excuses...

-Not enough good players
    -Nagging injuries
    -Wrong system
    -Didn't rest enough during the off season

Deron should just shut up, take time off to heal up if he needs it, then shut up and ball.

3 years of sub-par performance and a crappy record for a gazillion dollars, the last thing Prokhorov or the Nets fan base want to hear is another "explanation".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...worn-him-down/

Does he have a point or is this another excuse?
    I am sure it was quite a grind and he probably should have taken off some time. But at the same time, other players did the same sort of thing and they haven't had the same issues. All he can do is rest a bit this summer and see if he can bounce back next season.

vCash
    Excuses because most of the guys on the Olympic team are having a good season. some of them seems to be more gym rats than even Williams. So I don't buy that. Maybe he's just injured and never really healed right then that I would agree on.

vCash
    dwill is a *****

vCash
    TRUE! Like kobe and melo both played in the olympics and Lebron and durant each played till june with little to no rest and thru the olympics and all 4 are in the top 5 in scoring ...Shut it with the excuses deron!
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    I think he's a good player to see him crumble like this is sad .... Hope he comes back

vCash
    He should go back to Turkey.

Detroit Lions (7-3)
    AAL - Teryl Austin (Defensive Coordinator)

-----
    Detroit Pistons (3-10)
    #MaxMooseMonroe

vCash
    Hes starting to remind me of Tmac as he declined, only less honest.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLER R View Post
    Excuses because most of the guys on the Olympic team are having a good season. some of them seems to be more gym rats than even Williams. So I don't buy that. Maybe he's just injured and never really healed right then that I would agree on.
    He has what the TNT crew would call fat cat syndrome. Except he didn't win, he just has gotten paid and has lost motivation. Its easy to tell that his conditioning is not what it once was. He lost the stroke on his jump shot as well.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I can't get behind that. I do believe that playing through summers can potentially impact your body and shorten your career. I mean, the body is like a machine, so just as a car may last 250 000 kms before needing a new engine or transmission, the body's joints and such probably have a life span as well, so just as driving a car 50 000 kms a year instead of 20 will shorten the engine's life expectancy, I believe the body can give out with excessive use.

The thing is, the really good players, are always working out in the off season. Karl Malone, for instance, was notorious for his cardio work outs in the summer, and he played at an all-star level until he retired at 41. So, when I see Gasol doesn't have the same steam he used to, I think, he's the kind of guy who plays for the national team every offseason, he's been putting a lot of kms on his body. I can see him being done by 35 instead in his late 30's like some NBA big men, and maybe Karl Malone was just an exception being able to last that long.

But we aren't talking about a guy on the wrong side of 30. We aren't talking about Steve Nash or Jason Kidd here, we are talking about D-Will. He's 28 years old? Tony Parker and Dirk and Manu, they've all played through the offseasons with their respective national teams and I didn't see any of them suffer for it in the NBA.

I mean, how many other guys were on Team USA this past summer and are still playing like All-Stars?

And D-Will's level of play has been going down since he left Utah. This is a trend.

Yes, D-Will has a wrist injury that he's been playing through. I get it. But there is something else going on here and he needs to get that $#!T straightened out. He' got a max deal. There are expectations that come with that.

Just seems that D-Will has a lot of excuses lately. The guy was one of my favorite players a couple years ago, and I was really hopeful that now that he had a healthy team around him with quality players, that he would excel like CP3 and take this team into contention, but more and more I'm just starting to think that his high level of play was perhaps a result of really good coaching.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Excuses. If something isnt working, pin it on something else rather than your actually play. Nice.

vCash
    Boo, ****ing, Hoo.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    He has a point but it's his own damn fault. He's the one that wanted to play in Turkey and he wanted to play in the Olympics. This is what happens when you play for 2 years straight. He's not very bright.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast