Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This is actually a great point. Even if one concedes the Wilpons will never spend to make this team better, it doesnt change the fact that it is wise for them not to invest heavily this season on stop gap players.

But the converse is true: That they are choosing not to invest on stop gap players doesnt mean they will invest in more expensive hole-filling players.

It's sort of a variant on the broken clock theory: Just because your clock happens to be telling the right time this instant doesnt mean the clock isn't broken.
    If your intentions is to get new carpet next winter, why would you spend money to get them shampooed?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If your intentions is to get new carpet next winter, why would you spend money to get them shampooed?
    Well, for one, you still have to live with your old carpeting this year so might as well get them cleaned. But that's not even the point.

If someone who has old carpeting tells you he's not shampooing his carpeting this year because he wants to save up for better carpeting next year, one of two things is true:

He'll have new carpeting next year or he'll decide to keep the money he said he was going to spend on the carpeting.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, for one, you still have to live with your old carpeting this year so might as well get them cleaned. But that's not even the point.

If someone who has old carpeting tells you he's not shampooing his carpeting this year because he wants to save up for better carpeting next year, one of two things is true:

He'll have new carpeting next year or he'll decide to keep the money he said he was going to spend on the carpeting.
    And isn't that the paradox the Mets fans are seeing.
    I see you got my point.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    And isn't that the paradox the Mets fans are seeing.
    I see you got my point.

Yep. Most seem to think Sandy and the Mets will buy the new carpeting. Cue the Zen Master.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I like the move. It may work out and it may not. These are the kind of moves Omar didn't make. Basically he spent money too soon. He got Pagan and Dickey too late to avoid foolish spending decisions.

The OF could look like this at some point.

LF: Duda
    CF: Cowgill/Valdespin
    RF: Brown/Nieuwenhuis

Bench: Baxter.

Depth: den Dekker, Lagares, Harris

The Mets have to get lucky with Duda and either Cowgill or Brown.

Duda is a 1B/DH and I don't think he is a NYC kind of a guy. He needs to have a good year so he can be packaged in a deal to get a suitable LF.

In 2014, the Mets could have suitable platoons with say Cowgill/den Dekker or Cowgill/Valdespn with either Valdespin or Nieuwenhuis in RF needing a RHH partner.
    Perhaps Vaughn.

Or, the Mets could have a suitable Rf combo with Brown and either Nieuwenhuis or Valdespin. With Valdespin or denDekker needing a dance partner perhaps Harris.
    Last edited by alexandre302; 01-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.

vCash
    I don't see the dilemma. We have store with very limited merchandise and the carpeting is old. The madam wants to buy new carpeting, but with lack inventory, it might not make sense. Further, due to invisible moths, leading to holes in the new carpeting. We've purchased the George Foster carpet to the Jason Bay model and many have been moth eaten. There is plenty of inventory on the way, and maybe some attractive, but inexpensive inventory is available. It might make sense to wait for the new inventory to arrive, then purchase the new carpet because if it has the hidden moths you can afford to buy a second carpet. The buyers may like the new inventory so much that might not mind the old carpet.

vCash
    Valdespin isn't going to start, Baxter will.

vCash
    I'd rather start Jordany. He has good speed and that could be very well used in the outfield. His only problem out there is he has little arm strength.

I believe he has a much higher ceiling than Baxter, but also has a lower floor. I'd like to see how Valdespin reacts to starting opening day.

vCash
    I'd only start Jordany at 2nd base. He's not an everyday outfielder.

vCash
    I agree, but I thought he looked pretty solid out there, for the most part.

If Valdespin is really going to be a big part of the future, I think the Mets should've really shopped Murphy to a team in need of a bat.

vCash
    Next year is a big year for Murphy. If he puts up another 2012-type season, I think he's gone.

I think the Mets see Valdespin's future as a utility player. His on-base ability(or lack-thereof) is a hindrance.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Next year is a big year for Murphy. If he puts up another 2012-type season, I think he's gone.

I think the Mets see Valdespin's future as a utility player. His on-base ability(or lack-thereof) is a hindrance.
    Absolutely.

I expect him to improve his power numbers too. This guy is a smart, solid major league hitter and will improve with age like a fine wine.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    I wouldn't expect Murphy to improve much offensively. He simply does not walk very much at all, nor does he hit for much power. His value comes from a fairly high average and his ability to avoid striking out. But he has got to improve his defense, he was horrendous last season. If he can even bring that up to "average" defense, his offense is more than enough to keep him at second for years to come.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    [QUOTE=SJ5382;24975690 I wouldn't expect Murphy to improve much offensively. He simply does not walk very much at all, nor does he hit for much power. His value comes from a fairly high average and his ability to avoid striking out. But he has got to improve his defense, he was horrendous last season. If he can even bring that up to "average" defense, his offense is more than enough to keep him at second for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Only sixteen guys in the NL had more hits than Murphy. He had 40 doubles last year and hit .290. The guy can flat out hit. I'm not convinced that Vspin can do that. Murphy should be planted in the #2 spot in the order and left there.

Murphy also seems like his head is always in the game. He's a team player. I can see Vspin becoming a mental case over called third strike and being useless for days. I can see him having a blow up with a teammate or being a headache for Terry.

I think Murphy's defense is already average not horrendous and it should improve.

This team has plenty of problems but Murphy isn't one of them. I wouldn't be looking to trade Murphy unless he is involved in a deal with a frontline outfielder with legitimate HR power.

Fantasize for a minute: say Duda hits .270 with 25 HRs (I said fantasize)

Would you rather have a lineup with Duda and Murphy in it or Upton and Vspin in it???? You can make a case for either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    I wouldn't expect Murphy to improve much offensively. He simply does not walk very much at all, nor does he hit for much power. His value comes from a fairly high average and his ability to avoid striking out. But he has got to improve his defense, he was horrendous last season. If he can even bring that up to "average" defense, his offense is more than enough to keep him at second for years to come.
    His defense wasn't horrendous last season. I thought he got better as the season went on. He was even able to make the occasional spectacular play even if he wasn't as consistent as we'd like.

Jomota is right, the man can flat out hit. But i would like to see his power numbers return a bit.

Meanwhile, V-Spin is just a mess. Last off season i wanted to see what the guy can do. Well, I've seen all that i care to now. Outside of an uncanny ability to hit pinch home runs -- a skill that just is not sustainable anyway -- he's just a mess.

Time to move on.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast