Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 83 of 83
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    I've said this a couple times already. I hope Dwight sits out tonight so Pau gets the bulk of the minutes at C to play in the post as our main option.

    We will know exactly where we stand with Pau once that happens.
    He got some post opportunities and moved the ball well. Created space on the perimeter. Worked out much better than when Howard is in there.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,307
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    He got some post opportunities and moved the ball well. Created space on the perimeter. Worked out much better than when Howard is in there.
    You think the Lakers played better with Pau in than with Dwight?

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    You think the Lakers played better with Pau in than with Dwight?
    No, I'm saying that his postups were actually more effective. He drew the defense and spotted the open man, or just whipped it out quickly and got the ball moving. The one time he had enough room to attack, he got fouled. Dwight is more one-dimensional in the post. Not much offense is created for the team, just himself... if he doesn't turn it over... or gets fouled and sent to the line.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,307
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    No, I'm saying that his postups were actually more effective. He drew the defense and spotted the open man, or just whipped it out quickly and got the ball moving. The one time he had enough room to attack, he got fouled. Dwight is more one-dimensional in the post. Not much offense is created for the team, just himself... if he doesn't turn it over... or gets fouled and sent to the line.
    Gasol is a much more skilled player than Howard, thats a given. Pau just isnt effective in this system becuase there is no consistency. They had Pau play where he wants in the 1st quarter, but after that it was SILENCE from Pau offensively from then on. Not to mention the fact that once Howard went to the bench the Lakers gave up and 11-1 run to basically end the 1st quarter.

    I just don't see Gasol working out with this team guarding PFs. He can guard C's still, but that about it.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,513
    vCash
    1500
    Father Time is undefeated

    With that said, He can still be a valuable player. He needs to be in a situation where he is the main post player and playing in a system with a slower more deliberate approach as well as all post offense running through him. Unfortunately...That would mean leaving the Lakers, Our system doesn't fit him and I know we all wanted to wait and see how this would work and it just isn't working. And since D'Antoni isn't changing his style, Pau just doesn't workout. It's sad because he is such a solid player. He just isn't being used properly!
    Last edited by midwestlaker75; 01-07-2013 at 03:51 AM.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    Father Time is undefeated

    With that said, He can still be a valuable player. He needs to be in a situation where he is the main post player and playing in a system with a slower more deliberate approach as well as all post offense running through him. Unfortunately...That would mean leaving the Lakers, Our system doesn't fit him and I know we all wanted to wait and see how this would work and it just isn't working. And since D'Antoni isn't changing his style, Pau just doesn't workout. It's sad because he is such a solid player. He just isn't being used properly!
    That's pretty much where I am.

    FREE PAU!

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    279
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    We shouldn't talk about +/-, because on the season Gasol's +/- is pretty good. The Clipper game was one game. There's better evidence out there of Gasol's ineffectiveness.

    It's hard to have an advantage on the inside with a guy when you tell the guy not to play inside! So we are not dominating teams inside with Gasol, but then, Gasol is not on the inside, is he? And D'Antoni has made it pretty clear that this is by design. Asinine? I think so. But he's the coach.

    By the way, 17 ppg and 10 rpg is not garbage. (His numbers last season)
    I have said for a few years now that I see Gasol playing awful games, but then you look at his stats, they look decent. Part of this has to do with him not being aggressive. I have seen the ball go to him on the inside and him throwing it back, sometimes more than once. If the shot is not easy, he passes on it. For all the crying about not getting inside touches, he sure throws it back a lot when he does get it. He also causes a lot of turn overs when his teammates try to get him the ball inside. He got his nose busted yesterday because he mishandled an inside pass and was about to cause yet another turn over. Then, of all the big men out there, he has to be the easiest to steal the ball from.

    So I believe there is a misconception about him being a great inside player. He is not aggressive and only takes easy shots when he has a clear advantage. We have all seen him have horrible games only to pad his stats in the fourth quarter, when it's too late, and even do that ridiculous primal scream of his when the game is already out of hand, just to prove to us how gangster he really is.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Leather Balls View Post
    I have said for a few years now that I see Gasol playing awful games, but then you look at his stats, they look decent. Part of this has to do with him not being aggressive. I have seen the ball go to him on the inside and him throwing it back, sometimes more than once. If the shot is not easy, he passes on it.
    It's the same approach Nash takes. Reporters have been asking Nash why he won't try to score more, but he's just trying to take only good shots. That's how he keeps his percentage up. That's not a bad thing. I'm not saying he's specifically trying to keep his percentage up, but it's the result. Not everybody approaches the game like Kobe. These guys read the defense, look for the open man first, and only THEN look for their own. Nash does it from the point. Gasol does it from the post.

    There have been times in the past, even when the team was winning, that I wished Gasol was more aggressive for his own shots, but last night I think he made the right plays. They were definitely crowding his space with extra defenders, so he moved the ball out quickly. The defense scrambled, and a couple of times ended up fouling. Other times, open shots were just missed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •