Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Offseason News and Discussion

Figured this would save some space by consolidating general offseason news and discussion into a single thread. We can make individual threads for free agency and the draft once those things come closer to time.

Jared Cook on Monday told the Tennessean that he wasn't happy with the team in 2012 and that he felt they took a step backwards on offense. He said that if he were to resign with the Titans he would need to feel assured that changes were gonna be made in 2013.

“Things should be a lot better than what they are,” Cook said. “I’ve been here for four years and I don’t feel like this should feel like a rebuilding year. I feel like we should have a good quarterback in place; I feel like things should be progressing.

“For me, the offense struggled all year, and we showed no signs of getting better. I just feel like it was another year. I just don’t want it to be a year wasted because that’s another year that everyone is getting older.”
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

vCash
    The Titans may consider letting go of Michael Griffin. They can opt out of his contract and forgo several of his bonuses if they do so by February. How bad was Michael Griffin in 2012? Out of 86 safeties that got enough playing time to qualify Football Focus Insiders had him rated 83rd in the league at the position in terms of coverage efficiency and tackling.

http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Rus...on-work-108940

vCash
    Is that a shot at Locker by Cook? I'm not sure how to take that. I wouldn't be mad at him if he were to sign elsewhere. I wouldn't blame him at all. I want him back but he got royally screwed this year.

EDIT: And that snippet on Griffin is disturbing. If they can get out of that much money by all means get him out of here. I was one of his biggest apologists, but now I'd very much like him to be gone. I'm afraid I'm getting to be the same with Locker...Ugh...depressing to be me as a sports fan right now. (Titans, Cubs, Jazz)
    Last edited by scarylarry23; 01-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Chicago Cubs: Trade deadline time...yay...
    Tennessee Titans: In Whiz we trust.
    Utah Jazz: Aussie Aussie Aussie, Exum baby! Nice Rodney Hood thievery. Now get Gordo resigned.

vCash
    Sources close to the franchise are expecting them to promote Tom Moore to Offensive Coordinator and move Dowell Loggains back to Quarterbacks coach. I don't have a link for that one heard it on the radio.

Steve Hutchinson is likely to retire due to his injuries according to Mike Munchak.

After reading this article I wouldn't count on them making a change at defensive coordinator. It seems that the franchise is content with how they slightly improved at the end of the season and feel that the offense was part of the reason they struggled so much on defense.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ans-assistants

vCash
    Munchak said one offseason point of emphasis would be adding new pieces to the offensive line.

“We know we’re going to build the offensive line. That’s exciting to me, to get some young guys,” Munchak said. “We haven’t done that since we drafted (Michael) Roos and (David) Stewart back in that year (2005) when we got them.”
    I take from that quote that the Titans will be looking to draft several offensive linemen in the early rounds. He says that they are going to build the line and then references that they haven't since they drafted Roos and Stewart in 2005.

vCash
    Think there's gunna be any influence that we take Matthews in the draft?

vCash
    I think the focus of free agency should be the OL. Some good, young players in that part of free agency. Just about every top linemen is a UFA, so they could go after them.

vCash
    They need to make a big push for Jake Long.

Sign Jake Long, move David Stewart to guard (he's slowed down quite a bit and I think he would be ideal at guard at this point in his career), and draft Barrett Jones in the 2nd.

I'd say go after Andy Levitre as well, but there's no way Bud is willing to pay top dollar for two OL. Long, Levitre, and Jones would take this line from pathetic to epic though.
    Last edited by I Am Awesome-O; 01-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.

vCash
    If we let Michael Griffin and Chris Johnson, I would be a happy person. We would have a lot of cap space for next year so we could start adding to the o-line and defense, i'm curious to see if we pick up a qb through free agency though.

vCash
    On a side note if they are talking about rebuilding the o-line the list of free agents look very promising. I dont want to post the whole list but there are legit starters that could really turn this team around. I havent been much of a believer in Locker but give him a line and see if he can progress next year, sign some like Jason Campbell or Matt Moore in case he doesnt.

vCash
    The problem is that this free agent class is very heavy in certain positions and weak in others. Here are some realistic players at positions of need that aren't expected to get the franchise tag. Your guys like Jake Long, Cliff Avril, Michael Johnson, Jarius Byrd, Dashon Goldson, Ryan Clady etc. are all expected to get the franchise tag.

Guards

Andy Levitre (Buffalo Bills) - He is the top rated interior linemen in free agency and is gonna reach free agency. He started every game since coming into the league. He is said to be looking for a contract in the range of $7-8 million a year which is in line with the top 10 guards in the league. He has made it clear that he is looking for the best offer in free agency. So I would rule him out for the Titans.

Louis Vasquez (San Diego Chargers) - Another guy that has been a 4-year starter but isn't as highly thought of as Levitre. This was his first full season missing 10 games throughout the first 3 seasons.

Matt Slauson (New York Jets) - A 3-year starter but was said to have his struggles.

Garrett Reynolds (Atlanta Falcons) - A guy that has started 13 games the last 2 seasons for the Falcons. He started 6 games at the beginning of this year before getting hurt. Several rating sites have him projected as a standard starting guard based on his limited playing time.

Chad Rinehart (Buffalo Bills) - A guy that has started 21 games in his 5-year career. The same as Reynolds he projects out to having numbers to put him in there with average starting guards in the league. Would be more of a move for depth.

Tyonne Green (San Diego Chargers) - This guy started 13 games this year for the Chargers winning the starting job.

Cornerbacks

Brent Grimes (Atlanta Falcons) - He was injured for almost the entire season but in 2010 and 2011 projects out as one of the best starting cornerbacks in the league. He could possibly get the franchise tag from Atlanta.

Sean Smith (Miami Dolphins) - A physical and solid starting cornerback for the Dolphins. His numbers aren't gonna wow anybody with 60 tackles, 2 interceptions and 4 forced fumbles but he was solid and projects as one of the better young corners in the league.

Cary Williams (Baltimore Ravens) - A guy that is 28 with some experience but still young enough to have some tread left on the tires. Coming off a decent season with 75 tackles, 4 interceptions and 19 passes defended for the Ravens.

Derek Cox (Jacksonville Jaguars) - A young corner that had 55 tackles and 4 interceptions in 2012. Would be more of a move for depth.

Safety

Will Moore (Atlanta Falcons) - A solid younger guy at 28 who had a solid season with 64 tackles, 4 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles in just 12 games.

Laron Landry (New York Jets) - Could really boost the run support from the strong safety position. Landry played in 15 games this year and had 75 tackles with 2 interceptions and 4 forced fumbles. He also projected favorably in pass coverage which is impressive considering that he is 220 at safety.

Glover Quin (Houston Texans) - Another solid player that if nothing else would add great depth as he can play multiple positions. He had 84 tackles, 2 interceptions and 14 passes defended from the safety position.

vCash
    The question is do you see the titans going for any bigger named free agents or do you feel we are going to go get some fillers and call it a day?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The problem is that this free agent class is very heavy in certain positions and weak in others. Here are some realistic players at positions of need that aren't expected to get the franchise tag. Your guys like Jake Long, Cliff Avril, Michael Johnson, Jarius Byrd, Dashon Goldson, Ryan Clady etc. are all expected to get the franchise tag.
    Jake Long almost certainly won't be tagged:
    The Palm Beach Post says the franchise tag "seems out of the question" for Dolphins impending unrestricted free agent LT Jake Long.

There's no question that Long will be one of the Dolphins' top offseason priorities, but his play has tailed off over the past couple of years while he's also dealt with various injuries. The tentative franchise number for an offensive tackle in 2013 is a whopping $15.36 million. Miami would like to have Long back "if he accepted something like half of the $11.2 million" he made in 2012. GM Jeff Ireland is delusional if he thinks Long would sign a deal that cheap.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long

Don't we have a gargantuan amount of cap space that we're required to spend per the new CBA rules? If so, I'd throw a big chunk of it at Long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Awesome-O View Post
    Jake Long almost certainly won't be tagged:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long

Don't we have a gargantuan amount of cap space that we're required to spend per the new CBA rules? If so, I'd throw a big chunk of it at Long.
    The Titans are probably gonna have around $35 million after you take Hutchinson and Hasselbeck off the books. That is good but then you have a decent amount of teams with that much if not more cap space including the Colts and Jaguars which both are expected to have $40-50 million. The Dolphins will likely also have between $40-50 million in cap space.

Jake Long is looking for Joe Thomas money. There is no way the Titans are gonna give anybody in free agency that kind of money. You are talking about him wanting +$80 million with half of that being guaranteed. Especially when they already have Michael Roos and David Stewart....

Also that salary cap floor isn't per year. It covers 4-year spans. So the Titans could still be $20 million under the cap the next year or two as long as they go right up to the salary cap the other 2 years to make up the difference.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 01-01-2013 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    We need a better more proven OC...norv turner anyone?
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast