Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 152 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Almora's speed is interesting. I have been told he is a 40 or 50 runner at best, but he has 70 range in center field. Obviously he has off the charts instincts. I think if his speed tool matched his range he would have easily been the no. 1 pick last year. This is why an Alex Rios comp makes a lot of sense for me here.
    ib Kyle

vCash
    Ben Badler has an update on one of the recent Cuban defectors, "MLB Investigating Age Questions On Aledmys Diaz." The first part of the article is below. Conclusion after the jump.

Major League Baseball is investigating the age of Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz, according to multiple sources.

Diaz is presenting himself as a 23-year-old born Jan. 8, 1990. However, that date conflicts with previous accounts of when he was born, according to multiple sources. A December 2007 story on the official website of Cuba's top league, Serie Nacional, referred to Diaz being born on Aug. 1, 1990, which would make him 22. When news of Diaz leaving Cuba started appearing in Cuban media outlets last year in July, multiple stories referred to him being 21 at the time, which would match the Aug. 1, 1990 date of birth.

Further complicating the situation is that a roster from the 2010 Pan-American games in Puerto Rico says that Diaz was born in 1991, although there is no specific date of birth listed other than the year.

For Diaz and anyone else who has a percentage in his contract, it's more advantageous for him to be 23 than 21 or 22. While international signings are subject to the $2.9 million bonus pools for the 2012-13 international signing period, Cuban players with at least three years of professional experience in Cuba (which Diaz has) and who are at least 23 are exempt from the bonus pools. MLB, however, has yet to rule on whether Diaz is exempt from the bonus pools.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 01-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    I know this is late, but I think Cerda deserves some love in the "best eye" category.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    I think the Geiger counter needs an update

vCash
    New Era, players used lie to get younger.....

vCash
    Baez up to #3 overall SS behind Profar and Lindor on Mayo's new 2013 list. Vogelbach is at #8 overall 1B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    I mentioned that comp immediately after the pick. Rios (with high character) is a very interesting player. Wilken also drafted Rios so I thought there may be some substance to that.
    Rios and Almora are 2 different animals. When Rios was drafted the Jays were running their draft on a shoe string budget. Rios was the only first rounder to sign for under 1 million. He was a raw Puerto Rican prospect. He was also considered a reach.

The one thing that Wilken has always liked though was drafting athletes up the middle. Lots of CF, SS, and C. Apparently his preference is such that, plenty of these players will end up moving off those positions, because you'll never know how an 18 year old is going to fill out. And he feels those athletes can adjust, where as a slugger only has no where to go. I always pay extra close attention to an early round pick by Wilken who isn't athletic, because I assume that means Wilken saw something special to deviate from his usual path (Vogelbach).

vCash
    Almora is also #9 overall OF on Mayo's new list, no Soler yet though still too many unknowns is likely why.

vCash
    I take everything Mayo does pretty lightly...have never really seen eye to eye with him and don't really value much of anything he says. (Don't mean to belittle you posting it JBears, just throwing it out there)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    I take everything Mayo does pretty lightly...have never really seen eye to eye with him and don't really value much of anything he says. (Don't mean to belittle you posting it JBears, just throwing it out there)
    I agree. I just posted those because I consider him a bigger name in the scouting field. Figured it was relevant to discuss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I agree. I just posted those because I consider him a bigger name in the scouting field. Figured it was relevant to discuss.
    Oh definitely, I'm curious what everyone else thinks about him

vCash
    Mayo is competently mediocre, I don't have high expectations for his stuff. The video on MLB.com can be nice.

I thought Soler should have gotten an OF spot over Almora. One thing about those lists is that it's pretty wide open for Cubs guys to fly up. The minors continues to be meh at the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenatorMendoza View Post
    Rios and Almora are 2 different animals. When Rios was drafted the Jays were running their draft on a shoe string budget. Rios was the only first rounder to sign for under 1 million. He was a raw Puerto Rican prospect. He was also considered a reach.
    What does any of that have to do with an Almora/Rios comparison as players? Where a player was drafted and how much money they signed for doesn't make a difference to me.

vCash
    Mayo has Vogelbach as having 5 current power and 6 future power, which is kind of ridiculous IMO. I've seen some scouts give his power an 8 and lowest was 7 I believe. I've never taken Mayo's rankings very seriously.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 01-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Mayo has Vogelbach as having 5 current power and 6 future power, which is kind of ridiculous IMO. I've seen some scouts give his power an 8 and lowest was 7 I believe. I've never taken Mayo's rankings very seriously.
    Are we sure he doesn't mean right now, as opposed to future power? He could be saying Vogelbach is a 5/8 or 5/7.

And then. He made them pancakes.