Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 152 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Carrie Muskat has a bit more on the Cubs prospects who worked out at Northwestern earlier today:

A dozen Cubs prospects completed a week-long rookie development camp on Thursday. The sessions included a workout at Northwestern University, a seminar, and some extra training. Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, David DeJesus, Theo Epstein and Tom Ricketts were among the people who addressed the group. The 12 players who participated included position players Javier Baez, Jae-Hoon Ha, Matt Szczur, and Logan Watkins, and pitchers Dallas Beeler, Marcus Hatley, Barret Loux, Trey McNutt, Zach Rosscup, Nick Struck, Robert Whitenack and Tony Zych.

Jason McLeod, the Cubs scouting and player development director, was asked about a few of the prospects. Heres an update:

* How close is Baez to the big leagues?

Javys still so young, McLeod said. Hes only played really three months of a full season and obviously, last year, he took the Midwest League by storm in a short time there and hit some bumps there in Daytona. Being that he just turned 20 years old [on Dec. 1], obviously, hes a talented young man, hes going to ultimately decide [when he's ready]. He loves to work, he works extremely hard. The plan for him this year is to get a full season under his belt.

* McNutt was used as a starter and reliever last season at Double-A Tennessee. Whats his future role? McLeod said thats to be determined. The results were better when McNutt pitched in relief and that may be the best spot.

* Jorge Soler worked out in the Miami area this offseason, and had some sessions with new hitting coordinator Anthony Iopoce and player development director Brandon Hyde.

Hes still getting used to being in the states and getting ready to coming into Major League camp, McLeod said of the Cuban outfielder.

Where will Soler play in 2013? Thats also to be determined. He spent last season at Class A Peoria.

Hes put himself in position to start at a higher level but we have to see how things shake out, McLeod said, noting that they have an overload of outfielders, including Reggie Golden and Evan Crawford, who are both coming back from injuries.

* Whitenack has missed time after needing Tommy John surgery in 2011, but is now 100 percent.

Im really looking forward to seeing what everyone here saw two years ago, McLeod said of the right-hander, who was 7-0 in 11 starts in 2011 before he was hurt.

* Junior Lake has played infield and outfield in the Dominican Republic Winter League. Where will he end up? McLeod said Lake will get most of his playing time at shortstop or third, but will also play in the outfield this spring.

We want to maximize his ability and versatility, McLeod said.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Forgot about Evan Crawford and Reggie Golden. What happened to Crawford last year?

vCash
    McLeod said, noting that they have an overload of outfielders,
    I would suggest making a trade. For the love of Jah please make a trade...So....Boorrring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Forgot about Evan Crawford and Reggie Golden. What happened to Crawford last year?
    I can see how this could happen.
    The funny thing is, when you get good prospects into the system, it kind of exposes how not-so-good the not-so-good prospects are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    They were planning to move Samardzija back to the rotation this year going back to last year and probably well beyond it.

3-4 years ago the pitchers in the system sucked. 11 years ago Carlos Zambrano made half of his appearances out of the bullpen for the 2002 Cubs.
    I can give the regime credit for executing the plan flawlessly so far, but seeds were planted.
    I see what you are saying now. Yes, no doubt the Cubs have brought up minor league starters and used them out of the bullpen for a year or so before giving them a real shot in the rotation. But what the FO is doing now, is giving guys a 2nd chance at starting who were already moved to the pen prior to joining the big league team.

And I'm not certain that you're right about Samardzija. It sure seemed like the previous FO was more than content with keeping him in the pen.

vCash
    The Samardzija to the rotation stuff was being talked about for almost all of 2011. Hell, 2011 was the first time r spent a whole season as a reliever.

This is funny:

http://chicagosidesports.com/an-arti...ans-wet-dream/

I like how I took it seriously until Brett Jackson's.

vCash
    Very interesting read from Bleacher Nation. Basically talks about how Baez was part of this rookie development camp with a bunch of other guys who could conceivably be called up in 2013, and how he could be called up earlier than most people think. Another point the article brings up is that Baez could possibly be a September call up this year. The thinking behind that is why would the Cubs want to prepare Baez for what it's like in the big leagues this offseason, when they could just wait until later on.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/0...e-big-leagues/

vCash
    The thinking behind that is why would the Cubs want to prepare Baez for what it's like in the big leagues this offseason, when they could just wait until later on.
    When put this way it's actually understandable why they would want their top prospect learning ASAP. It would be pretty sick if he could get to the majors this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The Samardzija to the rotation stuff was being talked about for almost all of 2011. Hell, 2011 was the first time r spent a whole season as a reliever.

This is funny:

http://chicagosidesports.com/an-arti...ans-wet-dream/

I like how I took it seriously until Brett Jackson's.
    Yeah, it didn't get absurdly outlandish until Jackson. I mean, yes, "Wet Dream" was right. But the Brett Jackson portion was absolutely laughable.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Almora one is pretty laughable, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Almora one is pretty laughable, too.
    Why? The speed thing? Yeah, it should have said, "Exceptional baserunning ability" or something. The rest I'd be fine with, and even the SB number would be fine if it said it was from skill and not speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Why? The speed thing? Yeah, it should have said, "Exceptional baserunning ability" or something. The rest I'd be fine with, and even the SB number would be fine if it said it was from skill and not speed.
    I think pretty much everyone would be surprised if Almora hit more HR than Baez during their MLB careers.

vCash
    Because they have him being basically the greatest player ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Because they have him being basically the greatest player ever.
    How is 16 years averaging:

.314 with 31HR 21SB and 12GG "basically the greatest player ever"?

Not only is that a bad year for Babe Ruth, but there are PLENTY of all time greats better than that. Plenty. I mean, yeah, that's a ****ing bomb *** player, but greatest ever? Not even close. I mean, if we consider that he could have had a merely "pretty good" eye, we're talking about a guy who was probably something like:

.314/.370/.520 which is an amazing player, but not close to GOAT.

EDIT: I Just checked, Nomar Garciaparra's career batting line is .313/.362/.521

I can definitely see that as a ceiling for Almora.

Obviously Nomar had some down years at the latter part of his career, but I think this fictional Almora would as well, and I actually Nomar is a pretty amazing comp for Almora's ceiling. (Though with less batting average).
    Last edited by Doogolas; 01-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    How is 16 years averaging:

.314 with 31HR 21SB and 12GG "basically the greatest player ever"?

Not only is that a bad year for Babe Ruth, but there are PLENTY of all time greats better than that. Plenty. I mean, yeah, that's a ****ing bomb *** player, but greatest ever? Not even close. I mean, if we consider that he could have had a merely "pretty good" eye, we're talking about a guy who was probably something like:

.314/.370/.520 which is an amazing player, but not close to GOAT.
    AVERAGING those numbers over 16 years at a premium defensive position (and playing at an elite level defensively) is ****ing incredible.

Page 10 of 152 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast