Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattColby View Post
    Yeah but we don't just want to waste it on a platoon player
    Considering what we have for OF's I would start him everyday and see what happens. He is a good power bat, and Dodger stadium is a big park so he should be about the same here. I don't view him as a platoon player. All the guys we have now are platoon OF's.

vCash
    I'm not interested in spending nearly 20 mil/season on a well see what he can do kinda guy. All of our ofers together probably don't equal his salary either. Sounds like desperation to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    Considering what we have for OF's I would start him everyday and see what happens. He is a good power bat, and Dodger stadium is a big park so he should be about the same here. I don't view him as a platoon player. All the guys we have now are platoon OF's.
    He has a career .649 OPS against LHP.

He's awful vs. lefties
    I'm In.

vCash
    Well since this is out it probably isn't even true anyway so I will just leave it at that. When has a trade we made ever made it out before it was announced?

vCash
    He'll be a good pick up fore your team.
    No body wants to play in Seattle. And outside of The King there's no star power to talk about.

in regards to his salary, even if you sign a premier F.A you're gonna over pay to get them to Safeco, and there ain't a lot of big game talent in 2013 F.A

vCash
    There are people that are just as good for cheaper in FA. And we dont have to give up a spec.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The 6-4-3 View Post
    He'll be a good pick up fore your team.
    No body wants to play in Seattle. And outside of The King there's no star power to talk about.

in regards to his salary, even if you sign a premier F.A you're gonna over pay to get them to Safeco, and there ain't a lot of big game talent in 2013 F.A
    I agree. Ethier will be just fine, and I bet he doesnt cost a top spec if we pay his salary.

vCash
    I wouldn't take him and his whole salary if all it costed was a C level spec. Paying a platoon player with bad D $17M isn't very smart.

It makes more sense to only play him against righties considering we already have Casper and he is much better vs LHP and a better defender. Just isn't a fit unless they pay $20-25M

vCash
    Orrrrrrr, JAC was given a bad lead by GMZ and crew. They were interested in Stanton, told JAC it was Ethier so he would blow his load on getting to report it first, and by doing so make Miami think they have competition in the OF trade sphere with the Dodgers...
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 01-02-2013 at 03:28 AM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    You guys are all in to win. Why would you trade Either for Specs anyway?
    kasten and the dodgers history has always been building from within. mccourt raped their funds and they never invested in a farm. they are desperate to reload, it could be a 5 year project without a trade.
    or go with the crazy theory, pairing the specs from a ethier trade with some of their own (people like zach lee) for stanton. of course i did say crazy theory.

vCash
    Very, very crazy.

If the Mariners have the pieces to get Stanton, they aren't going to give them to LA for Ethier... period.

vCash
    Seriously, I think the Ethier rumor has no legs... it was a ploy to get a slight advantage in trade talks with Miami.

"Hearing Mariners have progressed in trade talks for a hitter. Indications it's Ethier. Multiple players involved."

Jokes on JAC...

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    didnt think about that... it just seems hard to fathom... dodgers will have to pay $ to move ethier out of town, making bourn even more expensive (a boras client), when they already have the highest payroll? just ridiculous, but im not gonna put it past em.
    not really, i doubt it takes a whole lot to get bourne, it's January and he hasn't gotten any offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Doesn't make much sense, especially since Bourn sucks..

But Stan Kasten has said he wants to build the farm back up, so IDK
    bourne was statistically the best defensive center fielder last year, even ahead of mike trout, i think that's why they want him, plus he can lead off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I wouldn't take him and his whole salary if all it costed was a C level spec. Paying a platoon player with bad D $17M isn't very smart.

It makes more sense to only play him against righties considering we already have Casper and he is much better vs LHP and a better defender. Just isn't a fit unless they pay $20-25M
    that's why i suggested,
    what about a trade around Stefen Romero, Jordan Shippers & Smoak dodgers eat half the sallary
    but maybe just smoke and the dodgers eat 75% of the contract would be more fair, since he can't hit righties or lefties.

vCash
    If the Ethier trade rumor indeed does have any legs, I'm fine with trading for him as a full time player. He can hit RHP, which is the majority of the starters. Its rare to find a guy who hits both RH and LH pitching equally well. Better he hits RHP than LHP since we'll see more RHP than left.

In the AL West the Angles have three RHP and two LHP (CJ Wilson and Vargas), the Astros have four RHP and one LHP (Keuchel), and A's have three RHP and two LHP (Milone and Anderson), and the Rangers have two RHP and three LHP (Harrison, Holland and Perez). Realistically, unless you count Vargas, there are only four LHP in the AL West worth worrying about (Wilson, Milone, Anderson and Harrison; Vargas?) out of the 20 probable starters... that's only 20%, and we play 76 of our games against the AL West this year. I imagine most of the other teams we play will be close to a 3 RHP and 2 LHP split on average (40% LHP)... so maybe 30% of the pitchers Ethier would see will be LHP, and not even the full 30% will be good ones, just like you see in the AL West.

Overall I think it would be worth having him in our lineup as a full time starter.

Now I wouldn't give Walker or Hultzen to get him, and I would be hesitant to even go with Paxton, although under the right circumstances I could see it happen. No way we pay all of Ethier's contract... I'm not even sure I would let them give him to us, with nothing in return, and ask us to pay it all! (That's like signing him as a FA.) He's just not worth the 5/85M he's owed, not in my book. Get it down to 5/70M and I'd give a couple C-level specs with upside. Get it down to 5/60M and I'll give a B-level spec and some C's... 5/50M and now we're talking Paxton and another B-level spec, plus a C or two. If this is a package deal with Gordon and Capuano, as has been mentioned, then it gets complicated, but you start to even out the deal to make it balanced, with the above rating chart for Ethier kept in mind.
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 01-02-2013 at 08:18 AM.

vCash
    CM, I'd worry about each an every LHP he faces. He's abysmal against them. He is a 100% true platoon hitter. Granted, as you say, he'll probably be facing 70% RHP and he's one of the best in the league against RHP.

$17-20M is still far too much to spend on him, IMO. I'd be fine at $10M per but that's gonna cost us prospects I don't want to give.

I'd much rather look for a little bit of a downgrade for MUCH cheaper.
    I'm In.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast