Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by futurefailedgm View Post
    Yeah, that is crazy. I started thinking about it though and realize we don't have any proven winners on this team... it's true. Uribe..haha. I think that is something to consider. All of these players have huge contracts and have never played for a pennant.
    um we played for the pennant in 08 and 09 and kemp and ethier were on the team as well as kersh, bills, belli and aj ellis just sayin
    Go dodgers!!!!
    LAKERS
    Go dolphins!!!!
    Go Flyers!!!!!
    I would give her a ball maybe two!!!!!!!!

vCash
    And it is complete bull that we aren't ranked, but I think that might give the boys in blue a bit of a chip on the ol shoulder. They will come out killing opposing pitchers this year. I firmly believe that gordon is going to have a good spring and put ellis on the bench that would add the perfect amount of speed to the lineup with some sluggers driving them in.
    Go dodgers!!!!
    LAKERS
    Go dolphins!!!!
    Go Flyers!!!!!
    I would give her a ball maybe two!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Hey guys, the bullpen rankings just went up today. I'll post those and yesterday's Scout averages for the best teams. Then post the top 10 for all the categories in case you guys were interested in who Buster thinks is the best for each.

Scout Averages for the best teams:
    ---------------------------------------------------

1. Giants
    2. Nationals
    3. Tigers
    4. Reds
    5. A's

6. Los Angeles Dodgers
    NL evaluator: "A tremendous rotation and outfield (if their health keeps), Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, a good bullpen -- and tons of money."

7. Cardinals
    8. Blue Jays
    9. Braves
    10. Yankees

Honorable Mention: Rangers, Angels, Diamonbacks.

Bullpen:
    -------------------------------------------

1. Braves
    2. Rays
    3. Royals
    4. O's
    5. Giants
    6. A's

7. Los Angeles Dodgers
    J.P. Howell agreed to terms with the Dodgers Friday, another good piece to an already deep bullpen; the left-hander saw his velocity increase markedly during the 2012 season, in his first full year back from shoulder surgery, to the point that his highest radar gun reading came in his last appearance of the season. Don Mattingly's weapons include Brandon League (who posted a 2.30 ERA for the Dodgers after being acquired from Seattle), Kenley Jansen (99 strikeouts in 65 innings, despite some heart issues) and Ronald Belisario.

8. Reds
    9. Padres
    10. Cardinals
    10a. Diamondbacks

Honorable Mention: Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers.

Rotation:
    ---------------------------------------------------

1. Tigers
    2. Nationals

3. Los Angeles Dodgers
    Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Josh Beckett, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly/Chris Capuano/Aaron Harang/Hyun-Jin Ryu. For Greinke and Beckett, this is the perfect situation, because they don't have the burden of being The Guy. Kershaw is the National League's best pitcher and he fully embraces all that comes with being the staff leader, from the media responsibilities to those moments when retaliation is needed. Greinke and Beckett can just worry about pitching, which is probably how they prefer it to be. The reason the Dodgers are ranked third -- and not higher -- is that it's not really clear what Don Mattingly is going to get out of Billingsley, Lilly or the starting pitcher who isn't dealt.

Linchpin guy: Beckett. Like other veteran starters who have moved from the AL to the NL, he should benefit from the shift, and Beckett is smart and savvy enough to be able to take advantage of those weakest spots at the bottom of the lineup. Beckett had a 2.93 ERA in his seven starts with the Dodgers, after being acquired from Boston, and now he gets a full-season reset button. He could be excellent. It's evident from Beckett's FanGraphs data that he relied a lot more on his cutter in his last few starts; it's a small sample size, but his strikeouts-per-9 ratio jumped from 6.64 with the Red Sox to 7.95 with the Dodgers.

4. Phillies
    5. Reds
    6. Rays
    7. Blue Jays
    8. Braves
    9. Giants
    10. A's

Honorable Mention: Yankees

Infields:
    ----------------------------------------------

1. Rangers
    2. Tigers
    3. Reds
    4. Rays
    5. Yankees
    6. Braves
    7. Blue Jays
    8. Nationals
    9. Giants
    10. Royals

Honorable Mention: Indians, Cardinals

Outfields:
    -------------------------------------

1. Angels
    2. Nationals
    3. A's

4. Los Angeles Dodgers
    It's the outfield with the most star power, for sure: Matt Kemp in center, flanked by Carl Crawford in left field and Andre Ethier in right. Kemp was plagued by injuries and limited to 106 games, and still managed to hit .303 with 23 homers, and Ethier finished the season with 20 homers and 89 RBIs. Crawford missed almost all of last season with elbow trouble before having Tommy John surgery, and he may not be ready for the very beginning of the 2012 season. If each of the three match their best seasons from the past, this group could be the best in the majors, with power, speed and defense. But a significant factor will be how Ethier and Crawford fare against the parade of left-handers they will see, especially in the later innings of games.

Ethier had an OPS of .606 versus lefties last season, and Crawford had even worse numbers (OPS of .566) against lefties while playing for Boston in 2011. Kemp did a ton of damage against lefties last year, with a 1.105 OPS, and the Dodgers will need him to continue that trend, because he's going to see a ton of lefties while hitting among Crawford, Ethier and Adrian Gonzalez.

Something to remember: The Dodgers' payroll is going to be far beyond the luxury tax, and the team's management has a distinct win-or-bust, Steinbrenneresque style of operation right now. If Crawford or Ethier struggle against lefties and the Dodgers suffer in the standings, it's hard to imagine the front office waiting patiently for them to figure out their swings. They're more likely to pursue a right-handed-hitting outfielder who can help balance the lineup -- which might explain why they were open to retaining Shane Victorino for 2013.

5. Cardinals
    6. Reds
    7. Brewers
    8. Braves
    9. Diamondbacks
    10. O's

Honorable Mention: Tigers, Blue Jays, Rockies

Lineups:
    -----------------------------------------------

1. Angels
    2. Brewers
    3. Cardinals
    4. Rangers
    5. Nationals
    6. Red Sox
    7. Rockies
    8. Blue Jays
    9. Reds
    10. Yankees

Honorable Mention: A's, Diamondbacks, Tigers.

vCash
    I just want to know who is coming off the bench!!! I want to bring back Jim Thome! Any thoughts? Giambi? Delmon Young? Ty Wiggington?

vCash
    Not sure how our bullpen isn't at least 5th.

vCash
    I agree, i thought we'd have a top 5 pen for sure. Especially after we signed Howell last night and everyone on twitter was saying our pen was stacked.

vCash
    Lol at the Giants being ranked ninth in best rotations. It's an even bigger joke that the Dodgers weren't even listed in best lineups as well. Good thing I don't take ESPN seriously.
    Last edited by theproof; 01-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theproof View Post
    Lol at the Giants being ranked nine in best rotations. It's an even bigger joke that the Dodgers weren't even listed in best lineups as well. Good thing I don't take ESPN seriously.
    I would rank the Giants 4th, behind the Nationals, Tigers and Dodgers.

Zito and Lincecum hold SF back. If Lincecum goes back to 2010-2011 Lincecum, they could challenge for best rotation in baseball.

vCash
    I agree. I'm not saying that we have the best rotation in baseball but we're definitely better than 9th. No way in hell do the Jays have a better rotation than us even with how bad Tim has pitched. Zito actually wasn't that bad last season.

edit: Forgot the Jays got Dickey. It's closer than I thought.
    Last edited by theproof; 01-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theproof View Post
    Lol at the Giants being ranked nine in best rotations. It's an even bigger joke that the Dodgers weren't even listed in best lineups as well. Good thing I don't take ESPN seriously.
    What did you expect from EastSPN?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12